PDA

View Full Version : Widening shoes with a heat gun?

Veloo
03-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Anyone ever successfully attempt to widen their synthetic upper shoes with a shoe expander and a heat gun?

cdn_bacon
03-28-2017, 11:20 AM
don't think it would pose a problem.

GScot
03-28-2017, 11:44 AM
I have a pair of Diadoras that were a bit snug on my right foot just along the outside toes. The material has a fabric backing but I figured it would stretch/deform with a little heat. I put on a thin wool cycling sock and a thick wool boot sock and warmed the area with a heat gun on low. I had to get it hot enough that I could barely touch it with my bare hand but it changed shape just enough to fix the problem. I was really conservative with the heat and not positive the extra sock didn't do most of the work along with some aggressive kicking and stomping.

saf-t
03-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Anyone ever successfully attempt to widen their synthetic upper shoes with a shoe expander and a heat gun?

Yes, in one spot to keep my little toe happy.

Just go sloooooooow.

Tony
03-28-2017, 01:30 PM
A shoe expander and alcohol is safer than using a heat gun.

Veloo
03-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Alcohol? never woulda thunk it.

I'm assuming you don't mean put in the expander and enjoy a bottle of Shiraz while I wait.

adub
03-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Big arse bunions cause me to do this all the time with various footwear, mostly good results.

Black Dog
03-28-2017, 02:10 PM

I thought that worked with leather and not synthetic materials.

mhespenheide
03-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Can you expound on this, or point me towards a reference? I have some hiking boots that seem to have shrunk in the years I've owned them...

ultraman6970
03-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Always you can use hair dryer.

Tony
03-28-2017, 03:55 PM
I have used alcohol and a shoe expander for both synthetic and leather materials with good results. I have used clamps and alcohol to stretch out tight bibs straps that were too small.

Veloo
03-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Do you soak/ drench the area in alcohol or just apply with something like a rag or cotton ball?
Did you see any premature deterioration of the upper in the stretched area?

ColonelJLloyd
03-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Can you expound on this, or point me towards a reference? I have some hiking boots that seem to have shrunk in the years I've owned them...

I dropped a pair of shoes off at the cobbler a block from my office last week. Picked them up two days later. $6.

Tony
03-28-2017, 06:37 PM
Do you soak/ drench the area in alcohol or just apply with something like a rag or cotton ball?
Did you see any premature deterioration of the upper in the stretched area?

What I've done in the past was soak the inside of the shoe and then right away use a shoe expander.

Below is some info. I found on the web.

"Wet a wad of cotton or a cotton ball/pad with rubbing alcohol. Then press it onto the desired, tight area of the shoe, transferring the liquid. Then, immediately put on the shoes & walk around. It’s important to do this fast, as rubbing alcohol dries quickly and it will only act as a strong shoe stretcher when it is wet.
For a shoe that is too tight all over, put on a pair of socks. The tighter your shoes, the thicker the socks! Soak the socks thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. Then, put your shoes on and walk around, stretching any particularly tight area with your foot, until the alcohol has evaporated & the socks are dry."