PDA

View Full Version : You tubeless guys, what tape are you using?

simplemind
03-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Just had my first tape failure after a year of trouble free riding. Used the Orange Seal road kit and it was great... until it wasn't.

I found that the tape, and I used two layers, had "sagged" into the holes enough that it caused the top layer to come loose from the bottom layer. The one bottom layer didn't have enough strength to hold back the pressure and collapsed into the hole allowing fluid to escape through the valve exterior hole.

The Orange Seal tape is fairly stretchy and obviously doesn't have any fiber reinforcement. I know there is a lot of discussion on the web, but most of it is directed to MTB application where pressures are very low by comparison. What has been your experience and do you have recommendations?

ColonelJLloyd
03-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Stan's, Pacenti, Velocity and (on a WTB Scraper) Orange Seal. Never had an issue with any of it. Stan's may be slightly thicker than the others so perhaps you'll be happier with it.

crankles
03-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Stans on older wheels, Silca on the newest. No problems with either. The Silca *seems* sturdier, but the Stans stuff is holding up fine after 3 yrs.

sales guy
03-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Stans/Reynolds/WTB- all made by Stans with different colors for the tape.
Personally, I don't like the Stans tape. It doesn't seem to lay or stick well on the rims. At least my experience says so.

A friend of mine tried Gorilla Tape on his fat bike and it's working fine.

veloduffer
03-27-2017, 04:51 PM
I've only used Stan's, which has worked well on my cross bike, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
03-27-2017, 05:30 PM
I have used Stan's and Pacenti. Both with similar result. I usually buy the cheapest one I can find.

jwess1234
03-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Enve tape for the Enve XC rims. Took a second round of sealant to make a slow leak go away (think it was around the tubeless valve area), but otherwise seems fine now--have run pressures from 35ish for trails to around 85 for road and has been fine.

No other experiences to compare to though.

.RJ
03-27-2017, 07:19 PM
The tape supplied with Easton rims is a pain. Avoid.

The easiest to install that i've used is whatever came with velocity rims.

JAGI410
03-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Rim prep matters more than tape brand in my experience. Clean with alcohol, stretch tape on, install tire with tube. Pump to decent pressure and let it sit for an hour or more. Let the tube push the tape down.

Whisky and stans tape are my go-tos.

Edit: whisky brand tape. Whiskey is for later.

gdw
03-27-2017, 08:30 PM
I buy the cheapest name brand tape I can find on EBay and have never had any problems. Just buy the correct width and follow the instructions JAGI410 posted.

Tony
03-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Rim prep matters more than tape brand in my experience. Clean with alcohol, stretch tape on, install tire with tube. Pump to decent pressure and let it sit for an hour or more. Let the tube push the tape down.

Same, ends seem to stay glued down, unlike Pacenti which comes up after time.

simplemind
03-27-2017, 08:50 PM

I buy the cheapest name brand tape I can find on EBay and have never had any problems. Just buy the correct width and follow the instructions JAGI410 posted.

Yeah, my LBS suggested NOT to use Orange Seal tape and use two wraps of Stan's tape. The also suggested inflating with a tube over night as you did, which is brilliant for two reasons, 1) as you said it presses the tape down, and 2) it stretches and gets the kinks out of the tire making sealing a bit easier when you add fluid.
I'll also switch from Merlot to whiskey.
Thanks for the tips!

crimedog
03-28-2017, 08:39 AM
It's been a slow learning experience for me, most of which is MTB:

Gorilla tape - works ok at first, absorbs sealant over time and starts to unwrap. Easily damaged by tire levers. Spend more for purpose made tape.

Clear gorilla tape - a real pain. Had to trim it down, didn't seal right on after all that, gave up.

i9 tape - high quality but an extremely difficult install

Stans - just right. pretty easy to apply, holds up to tire levers ok, lots of sizes available for your rim

Assuming your tape doesn't absorb sealant like gorilla tape it comes down to tire lever resilience (assuming that you have to use one like I do with MTB tires) and ease of install. I'll be buying stan's from now on.

unterhausen
03-28-2017, 09:09 AM
I've always used Stan's. My first couple of tries featured too little tension when I installed it, but I haven't had any problems with those wheels -- yet

YesNdeed
03-28-2017, 09:14 AM
I've been using Stans for over a year, 2 layers, and I have to re-tape quite often. What I don't do is install a tube first, then seat the tubeless tire, as mentioned here. I will be trying that after next my re-tape. This is for a road setup, to be clear. I now use one layer of black Gorilla, then one layer of Stans. Works great, but I haven't given it a long term test.

Has anyone tried Scotch 8898? I'm due for a refill, so when looking for tape I came across it. Some say it works great. For $6.67 shipped, I figured I'd give it a try https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-Strapping-Tape-Ivory/dp/B00C0Z21PK.

pcxmbfj
03-28-2017, 09:36 AM
I've used a variety of tape on mtb wheels with no problems.
I usually re-tape if cleaning the sealant off the rims has edges coming loose.

On the road only wheels that don't require tape.
Not enough history to prove worthiness.

ikecycke
03-28-2017, 10:31 AM
I just skip the middleman and buy standard Tesa tape. I think the model number is 4289. It's 25mm wide and looks exactly the same as Stan's. Should run you about $15 for a 60 yard roll.

Bentley
03-28-2017, 11:02 AM
I use 3M 8898, it works as good and I get a big roll for the price of a kit, I can do multiple wheels for a lot less.

I think we get caught up in the "brands", Stans, DT Swiss, Orange Seal. Do you really think they have a "tape plant"? I am sure that there are a few companies that have the equipment to make tape, and make it under contract. They change the color, maybe the thickness or amount of adhesive, at the end its basically the same. Save the money

Ray

shovelhd
03-28-2017, 11:23 AM
None.

YesNdeed
03-28-2017, 11:54 AM
I use 3M 8898, it works as good and I get a big roll for the price of a kit, I can do multiple wheels for a lot less.

Just curious, what rims/tape width are you running this tape on? I'm going from Stan's 25mm to this stuff at 24mm (Pacenti Forza/SL23 V2 F/R). I'm not too concerned over .5mm on either side, but figured it's worth an ask.

ColonelJLloyd
03-28-2017, 11:59 AM
None.

There is probably someone asking questions about tubulars somewhere on the Internet if you wanted to contribute something.

Fatty
03-29-2017, 10:20 AM
I just skip the middleman and buy standard Tesa tape. I think the model number is 4289. It's 25mm wide and looks exactly the same as Stan's. Should run you about $15 for a 60 yard roll.

I tried that very tape. Didn't have any luck getting it to stick to anodized rims.

Fatty
03-29-2017, 10:23 AM
I've been using Stans for over a year, 2 layers, and I have to re-tape quite often. What I don't do is install a tube first, then seat the tubeless tire, as mentioned here. I will be trying that after next my re-tape. This is for a road setup, to be clear. I now use one layer of black Gorilla, then one layer of Stans. Works great, but I haven't given it a long term test.

Has anyone tried Scotch 8898? I'm due for a refill, so when looking for tape I came across it. Some say it works great. For $6.67 shipped, I figured I'd give it a try https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-Strapping-Tape-Ivory/dp/B00C0Z21PK.

I've used filament tape in a "ghetto" setup with great success. One layer of filament with one layer 3M electrical tape over the top. This was on a mountain bike so lower air pressure.

Tony
03-29-2017, 10:37 AM
I've used filament tape in a"ghetto" setup with great success. One layer of filament with one layer 3M electrical tape over the top. This was on a mountain bike so lower air pressure.

I see flag waving and 'hands on hips' attitudes coming!

shovelhd
03-29-2017, 11:14 AM
There is probably someone asking questions about tubulars somewhere on the Internet if you wanted to contribute something.

Ultegra 6800 wheels
Shimano RS61 wheels

Neither require tape.