PDA

View Full Version : Swissstop Yellow?

redir
03-27-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm in need of some new breaking pads and I have always bought the Swisstop yellow pads as they work for both Al and Carbon rims. I was glad to find these years ago as switching pads out is kind of annoying whenever I want to change wheels.

I've always bought them by the boatload so I have not had to make a new purchase in years. Now that I do I cannot seem to find anyone selling them anymore that suggests that they are for both AL and Carbon. I'm pretty sure that Swisstop used to market them as such.

Does anyone know if the compound has changed? Or perhaps something else is going on?

Black Dog
03-27-2017, 10:12 AM
They continue to work well for both but be careful that they do not pick up an bits of Al from you Al rims that will grind your carbon down when you switch over.

Bentley
03-27-2017, 10:29 AM
I have always been told not to use pads on Carbon Rims that have been used on Aluminum Rims. I generally change both when I change wheels. I guess you could "dress" the brake pads between wheels, but that just seems like too much work and more expense

Ray

redir
03-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Ok, maybe that's why they stopped marketing them as for both AL and Carbon. I never do anything to them except sand them flat once in a blue moon. No problems with scratches or anything.

Thanks

eBAUMANN
03-27-2017, 11:45 AM
kool stop salmon for alloy (cheap, good in all conditions, gentle on rims)
swiss stop black prince for carbon (none more better for carbon, in my experience)

trying to use one pad for both is asking for trouble.

in the amount of time it will take to inspect and dig out alu shards from the pads you could probably have swapped out your pads 2 times.

and even then, maybe you missed a tiny piece that will then proceed to shred your pricey carbon rim.

just swap em or commit to carbon or alloy for wheels, youll thank yourself later ;)

Rusty Luggs
03-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Someone always says on these threads "I have never seen aluminum bits in my pads, so I don't think it is necessary to change pads".
This is where personal past experience does not necessarily predict future performance, and can lead folks astray.

This public service message from someone who has been picking out flecks of aluminum from his brake pads recently, which make ugly noise on aluminum rims but would do a nice job grinding up the brake track on a carbon rim.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Ok, maybe that's why they stopped marketing them as for both AL and Carbon. I never do anything to them except sand them flat once in a blue moon. No problems with scratches or anything.

Thanks

They CAN be used on Al and carbon BUT you shouldn't use them on a carbon wheel AFTER using them on an aluminum wheel...

regularguy412
03-27-2017, 07:12 PM
kool stop salmon for alloy (cheap, good in all conditions, gentle on rims)
swiss stop black prince for carbon (none more better for carbon, in my experience)

trying to use one pad for both is asking for trouble.

in the amount of time it will take to inspect and dig out alu shards from the pads you could probably have swapped out your pads 2 times.

and even then, maybe you missed a tiny piece that will then proceed to shred your pricey carbon rim.

just swap em or commit to carbon or alloy for wheels, youll thank yourself later ;)

I used the Swisstop Yellows for 5 years with my Easton wheels as that was the manufacturers' recommendation. I've since switched to Black Prince pads and have not looked back. The Black Prince pads stop just as well, if not better, and they wear longer.

Mike in AR:beer: