PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed

LorC40
03-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Hi fellow paceliners. I am looking at two bikes a 2105 bmc time machine tmr02 or a 2014 giant propel advanced pro. Both have great revues. I am a heavier rider at 205 lbs. Anyone have any insight or pros and cons they can tell me. Which is the lightest ?

shovelhd
03-26-2017, 01:00 PM
The Propel is an aero frame so I suspect it would be heavier than the BMC. The early Propels had issues with the rear brake. Many people replaced them with an aftermarket unit. The BMC is a basic road racing bike that's been around for a while.

JAGI410
03-26-2017, 01:35 PM
What type of riding are you looking to do? Because this matters far more than bike weight.

LorC40
03-26-2017, 08:24 PM
The Propel is an aero frame so I suspect it would be heavier than the BMC. The early Propels had issues with the rear brake. Many people replaced them with an aftermarket unit. The BMC is a basic road racing bike that's been around for a while.

Thanks for the insight

LorC40
03-26-2017, 08:29 PM
What type of riding are you looking to do? Because this matters far more than bike weight.

I ride about 100 miles a week for fitness. No racing, but still a weight weenie 😜

BobO
03-26-2017, 10:48 PM

I was under the impression that the Time Machine TMR occupied the same place in the BMC lineup that the Propel does in the Giant universe. The RM01 Race Machine is their basic race / climbing bike comparable to the TCR.

-

Wouldn't something like a GF01 or a Defy be better suited to a fitness bike. If you get one with decent wheels and 6800 components it should be a pleasure to ride and cost less than either of the aero or race bikes.

David Tollefson
03-27-2017, 07:42 AM
... a 2105 bmc time machine tmr02...

Quite the time machine -- from 88 years in the future! Just be careful when you hit 88 mph.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2017, 08:25 AM
I ride about 100 miles a week for fitness. No racing, but still a weight weenie 😜

Are you a very muscular 205 with a very low % of body fat?

fuzzalow
03-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Which is the lightest ?

Weight, as in lightness, in the bike for any amateur cyclist is a meaningless property. Might be swell as a pro rider which is really just another way of sayin' somebody else pays the bill in chasing lightness, so why not? But for a hobbyist, even a pound or two won't make anyone into somethin' they ain't.

On the basis of toy value for a bike, zero-gravity whizz-bang has its fun factor but it wouldn't add much to my riding experience. Kinda like how I'd like a Leica camera but I know it won't talent me an eye. Pretty nice bokeh though.

cdn_bacon
03-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Propel is heavier and easier to ride on the flats.

If you have any hills, I would go with the BMC. Or try and source a TCR if you like the Giant brand. Even the Defy composites are really nice.