PDA

View Full Version : Any hydraulic shifting adopters?

Tickdoc
03-25-2017, 08:12 PM
All this talk of new trends and materials has me wondering what happened to this new uno group. I don't recall much being said of it here....it seems like etap has dwarfed all new componentry.

I seem to remember hearing good reviews about a year ago and crickets since.

Anyone?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

http://cdn.velonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/ROTOR-UNO-B29B4509.jpeg

saab2000
03-25-2017, 08:28 PM
If it is released to the market I may try to buy one just because it's so freaking cool. I really hope it becomes available.

hollowgram5
03-25-2017, 08:42 PM
I'd ride it out of sheer curiosity. Not sure I can afford it right now though.

FlashUNC
03-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Tried it at Sacramento NAHBS on a bike in a stand. It was way cooler and functional than I thought it would be.

dustyrider
03-25-2017, 09:17 PM
I feel like I've seen hydro shifting off and on now for a decade. Like someone makes a working prototype for a show, then, poof they're gone.
Now I'll have to go do some googling...

MaraudingWalrus
03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
I apparently have one on order from the Rotor rep. Not sure what I'll do with it if or when my number gets called. Or when that'd be.

I'm incredibly excited about it. The folks I've spoken to (shop owner, the rotor rep [he's biased obviously] and even a rep for a different component company [biased in the other way]) who have touched and felt it have been VERY impressed.

crankles
03-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Tried it at Sacramento NAHBS on a bike in a stand. It was way cooler and functional than I thought it would be.

my thoughts too. it could actually be a thing.

adrien
03-27-2017, 01:48 PM
I really like the idea, but I haven't yet seen clear advantages broken out. Does anyone know what's better about this?

crankles
03-27-2017, 03:34 PM
I really like the idea, but I haven't yet seen clear advantages broken out. Does anyone know what's better about this?

Decent review of those here (https://www.cxmagazine.com/rotor-uno-hydraulic-shifting-2inpower-dual-sided-powermeter-cyclocross-magazine). It's got a CX bias, but then most of my posts do;-)

in short, lower maintenance when compared to other disc brakes road groups.

josephr
03-27-2017, 07:31 PM
technically not that advanced...still has a spring mechanism for the derailleur to 'return to home position' and as far as it being low-maintenance, cables and batteries are very inexpensive and easy to maintain.

MaraudingWalrus
05-02-2017, 04:35 PM
The Rotor reps stopped by today with a bike with a pre-production Uno groupset today.

I was very impressed with it. Got to use it in the stand, got some technical information and a brief rundown, as well as a short ride out on the road.

I was, again, very impressed with it.

The unit we were shown didn't have their cassette - which sounds really, really great, based on what we heard today. Also, the hoods on the production version are tighter than the one which we saw. The ones today weren't floppy loose, but apparently production units are more snug.

The act of shifting is not unlike doubletap. Press the lever to do one thing, press further to do the other.

The lever movement itself is very smooth and easy. It sort of feels like neither mechanical nor electronic shifting, it's somewhere between the two as far as lever feel.

Evidently, if you somehow manage to get air into the shifting lines, it evidently (allegedly?) won't alter functionality, just the lever feel. There's an inline barrel adjuster for the shifting, and you can alter lever feel if you feel like doing so. It's kind of like changing cable tension, but it increases or decreases spongieness, for lack of better description. Apparently that could be used to account for air in the system should it occur.

The group I saw was a disc version, though there is a hydraulic rim version.

It sounds like they have given up on having multiple different hood sizes, which was something they discussed doing initially.

Their cassette is allegedly going to fit on either Shimano or Campagnolo splined wheels, and would also fit on a 10speed shimano freehub body, allowing 11speed usage on a 10speed wheel. I only heard them say the Shimano/Campy wheel compatibility one time and forgot to circle back to that.

The cassette will work with Shimano, Sram, or Campagnolo rear derailleurs, however. So it continues the trend of everybody's 11speed stuff being moderately compatible.

The cassette is also stupid light, around 140 something grams.

The groupset comes with an 11-28 cassette, but the rear derailleur will apparently take up to a 32 cassette, potentially larger as they're evidently considering making a long cage version. There will be more gear ratios available.

The front derailleur has for positions, similar to a shimano derailleur to lessen derailleur rub when crosschaining.

The multiple shifts on the rear derailleur was quite a nice feature. You can have it shift into easier gears in the rear by up to four at a time, if you're so inclined.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/1ecf00311bc42b79bb1e26ca4bce4f3c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/ad04a529c5e40abe980f717fdf02d752.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/02ffd93c46395bb1bed77275ff9370e6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/a22c341e04fa8c93f823dd2a6b5314bf.jpg

saab2000
05-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Sadly, I don't really see it catching on. But you never know. I'm definitely curious about a new player in the industry.

R3awak3n
05-02-2017, 10:32 PM
I too think its pretty rad. Wonder how much it will cost if it does hit the market

Veloo
05-03-2017, 06:51 AM
$2500 Euros without crank according to this. Too rich for me.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/rotor-uno-hydraulic-groupset-187624

I too think its pretty rad. Wonder how much it will cost if it does hit the market

Gurpil23
05-03-2017, 07:02 AM

According to the latest issue of Spanish magazine Bicisport the first production run will be 2,000 units. It doesn't give a price though.

dogrange
05-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Intriguing option for the "never electronic" set, although I don't know how many of us there are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
05-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Not sure what it brings to the 'how to move derailleurs around' dinner table.
Lighter?
Cheaper?
More reliable?
Ease of maintenance?
Faster?
Quieter?

Donno...;)Hope it's easy to bleed. :cool:

FlashUNC
05-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Lighter?
Cheaper?
More reliable?
Ease of maintenance?
Faster?
Quieter?

FWIW, when I tried it on the workstand at NAHBS, it felt like it took less shifting effort than mechanical, but maybe a touch more than electronic with some better feedback than what you'd get from Di2 or even EPS' faux feedback approach.

You're not dealing with the same heat issues in shifting as you are in braking, so I'd assume you can seal the thing up reasonably well for a long period of time. Maybe not having to worry about setting cable tension on a derailleur anymore is worth it while not futzing with batteries?

I came away thinking less that it was a solution looking for a problem, and more that its a different approach to the shifting question that could appeal to some folks.

MaraudingWalrus
05-03-2017, 12:06 PM

Lighter?

Cheaper?

More reliable?

Ease of maintenance?

Faster?

Quieter?

It is lighter, so there's that.

Should be more reliable, requires less maintenance than cable.

So those are real benefits.