PDA

View Full Version : opinion: how to make externally routed shifter cables play nice with handlebar bags?

jasonification
03-25-2017, 09:37 AM
After looking at some handlebar bags, I realized the externally routed shifters (ie. DA 7800 and their predecessors) may limit the size of bags I can put on...was wondering if anybody has tips and experiences with this? thanks!

dustyrider
03-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Depends on the setup. You can always run the routing longer and alternate ways if you need to. Cable is a little long already or you could even get a tandem cable if you wanted/had to get funky!

Louis
03-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Simple: use downtube shifters!

KidWok
03-26-2017, 12:12 AM
I've used v-brake noodles coming out of the STI body. It worked fine, but I just went back to using longer cable housing.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/PurpleGunnar_zpstdo3rdch.jpg

Tai

nickrenfro
03-26-2017, 02:51 AM
I think the answer is like two others have said - just have to route longer cables/cable housing. I've run into the issue using a handlebar bag on my road bike and haven't used one since the first time I tried it.

jasonification
03-26-2017, 08:07 AM
I've used v-brake noodles coming out of the STI body. It worked fine, but I just went back to using longer cable housing.

Tai

Great looking bike! That sounds like a plausible option

jasonification
03-26-2017, 08:08 AM
I think the answer is like two others have said - just have to route longer cables/cable housing. I've run into the issue using a handlebar bag on my road bike and haven't used one since the first time I tried it.

Any chance you could share some issues? I would be interested to know

R3awak3n
03-26-2017, 08:16 AM
I had a bigish rando bag with retroshift and it was definitely a bit harder and weirder to route but I made it work. That said, retroshift shoots the cables out on the top and then xome down but ahimano shifters shoot them right out.

You could always use housing thag can be bent more such as nokon and do this

http://www.maestroimports.co.za/images/Nokon_03%20.gif

giordana93
03-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Simple: use downtube shifters!

or integrated shifters that run housing under the bar tape; it has trickled pretty far down the food chain by now..the 105 11s is pretty flawless (and all campy)