PDA

View Full Version : SO, Who is fillet brazing up stainless frames??

skiezo
03-25-2017, 09:16 AM
I am looking to get a custom SS frame built to my specs. I have contacted a few builders and all of them are tig/heli-arc welding there frames. And I want to get wishbone seat stays like I saw on a few of Rob English builds.
So I looking to see if any forum members can help me out.
It will be built for mechanical shifting and rim brakes so nothing real extravente,just SS wishbone stays and brazed as I like the flowing looks of a brazed joint.
I would settle for a welded frame if I could find a builder to make a wishbone stay out of SS tho.

Thanks Brian

Jad
03-25-2017, 09:39 AM
You may want to check out Rick Hunter. Beautiful bikes with nice wishbone seat stays and I think he does both fillet brazing as well as TIG. I'm not sure about stainless though...

http://www.huntercycles.com/

makoti
03-25-2017, 10:09 AM
http://www.andersoncustombicycles.com/

Anderson? Not sure about the wishbone, but it's custom, so...

false_Aest
03-25-2017, 10:14 AM
The first folks that come to mind (though I don't know about your SS requirement) is Bishop and Equilibrium. Cheribum too maybe.

ColonelJLloyd
03-25-2017, 10:14 AM
What made you decide on stainless?

I thought I wanted a wishbone stay on my custom, but doing more research and talking to my builder I decided against it as generally it adds weight and increases rigidity where a lot people would say it's not desired.

Wishbone stays are Rick Hunter's jam. He may have built more bike with wishbone stays than anyone making frames today. I also think his SuperCrown forks are cool. He definitely fillet brazes well, but the guy's TIG skills are legit.

bicycletricycle
03-25-2017, 10:52 AM
I think that None of the cycling specific stainless steel tube sets come with tubes that can be used to make a English like wishbone, I guess another regular commercially available stainless can be subtituted but builders may shy away from this. Some builders do substitute in 4130 chromoly when they need a strange sized tube, I think that the tiny English wishbone is made from 4130.

Also, I know some builders don't like to fillet stainless because you have to use high silver content filler rod and it is not as strong as the regular brass filler rod.

macaroon
03-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Talbot Frameworks

http://talbotframeworks.co.uk/

velotrack
03-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Rob will do stainless.

Black Dog
03-25-2017, 12:47 PM
David Kirk is a fillet master. He also does stainless. He also is here on the forum all the time and is a good guy by all accounts. PM him.

alancw3
03-25-2017, 01:07 PM
David Kirk is a fillet master. He also does stainless. He also is here on the forum all the time and is a good guy by all accounts. PM him.

if nothing else david can steer you in the right direction as to whether brazing stainless is the right way to go. personally i would think that brazing stainless would require a paint job which, in my mind, negates using stainless. just my opinion.

evo111@comcast.net
03-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Bishop bikes does some beautiful fillet and bilam lugs. Not certain if he uses ss. Keith Anderson also does some great looking bikes.

cnighbor1
03-25-2017, 04:47 PM
http://www.andersoncustombicycles.com/

Anderson? Not sure about the wishbone, but it's custom, so...

Base Price For Lugged Steel Frame and Steel Fork
Base Price For Lugged Stainless Steel Frame & Steel Fork(*)
Base Price For Fillet Brazed Steel Frame and Steel Fork
Base Price for Fillet Brazed Tandem Frame and Steel Fork
Base Price for Custom Steel Fork-Fork Only-single color paint
Base Price for Custom Lugged Stem with Polished Stainless Lugs
Base Price for Fillet Brazed Stem-Single color paint

​$2,875
$3,875
$2,800
$3,800
$375
$450
$350

Frameset Pricing Includes Custom Geometry, Lugged or Fillet Brazed construction, Custom Steel Fork, Stainless Headbadge (brushed finish), Stainless Steel Dropouts (brushed finish), Standard Braze Ons (bottle bosses, cable stops, STI stops, Brake bridge, etc), Single color paint finish (Stainless frames include a brushed, paint free, finish), and your choice of Lugs and Fork Crown. (**)

​(*) Note: Forks that come with stainless steel frames include a stainless crown and stainless dropouts, with painted steel blades. Stainless steel fork blades are available as an option. Please see the options section.

(**) Note: Pricing is subject to change. It is, however, locked in as of the date of your deposit.

wallymann
03-25-2017, 08:40 PM
...high silver content filler rod and it is not as strong as the regular brass filler rod.

is that right? i always understood silver to be stronger, but not as good at filling.

ERK55
03-26-2017, 07:14 AM
Eric Estlund (Winter Bicycles) has done nice wishbone stays (look in his gallery under "Velvet Hammer"). Not in stainless though.

bicycletricycle
03-26-2017, 08:15 AM
is that right? i always understood silver to be stronger, but not as good at filling.

It is lower temp so makes a stronger frame when used with lugs but silver is much softer than brass and makes for a lower strength fillet, I think.

cnighbor1
03-26-2017, 07:21 PM
http://www.cherubim.jp/bikes/stainless/index.html

Material alternatives to stick to steal the Cherubim are chromoly, only acknowledged the possibility that "stainless steel". It's because with higher hardness and density almost unchanged with chromoly alloy rust is strength in even thinner pipe than chromoly further weight reduction is possible. Without sacrificing the feeling of spring in the merit of course, Steele's biggest.
High potential hidden stainless steel material was noted previously. High-performance pipe, however, to convince the Builder was in. Cherubim co-developed technology Alliance and h. Reynolds "953" and different "921", the character of the two pipes. As a pioneer of the "new metal" emerged in a long time, announces new one after the other.

R-2 Stainless

Evolved "the-classic"

Repeatedly not continuously updated basic road racer, reborn in the introduction of new materials heavily. When you ride with cabbage & a unique stainless steel modern close though from the looks full of vintage taste. Where one can get longer, including high rust resistance.

Racer Stainless
Racer Stainless

Stainless steel flagship

Chromoly models, more rigid, more 'Racer Stainless"came to light. 。 In beautiful partners fight the serious athletes with top-level speed Aero racer.

bicycletricycle
04-12-2017, 09:45 PM
http://www.englishcycles.com/custombikes/steves-953carbon/

I bet he would build one without the carbon