PDA

View Full Version : Intro and question

Cloozoe
03-25-2017, 09:13 AM
To begin, I suppose I should introduce myself. My name's Len, I've been lurking around here for a bit, but have never posted; primarily because I don't know that I have anything significant to contribute on the one hand, and most questions can be answered with a bit of searching on the other.

A place called "Paceline Forum" is, I suppose, an inappropriate hangout for me, as the only way you'd find me riding in a paceline is if the guy behind me had a gun pointed at my head; a large caliber gun. But, hey - what's in a name.

The riding I do do is almost invariably solo, a typical ride being 15-20 miles, executed as hard and fast as I can push myself. I ride more days than not, including throughout the winter, although admittedly less frequently. I occasionally treat myself to a mellow sight-seeing kind of ride, and under those circumstances might find myself covering 40 miles or so. Centuries? See above regarding the large gun.

To return to hands: on the one, I have no interest in the search for the "best" bicycle -- much less other people's search for same -- as I regard the object of such a search as a chimera and hence the search itself an exercise in futility at best, and at worst a consumerist obsessive/compulsive disorder. Nor do I have much interest in descriptions/photographs of someone's newest toy (invariably described as the finest bicycle they've ever owned and invariably for sale shortly thereafter). On the infrequent occasion that I treat myself to a new toy, I've got even less interest in boasting about it publicly.

What does interest me, in addition to getting in the saddle and going for a ride, is bicycle mechanics and physics. I'm a fair country mechanic and wheel-builder and if pressed as to which I enjoy more, riding or fiddling, I'd have to call it about a draw.

As to physics, I've concluded that the variables of the bicycle/rider interface are so close to infinite and so subtle as to preclude most people having anything cogent to say; certainly precludes me and certainly-certainly precludes the legions who inhabit bicycle fora who confidently assert that this is great, that is junk, carbon is this, steel is that...I'm a data-head and have no time for what people think they know when they clearly know very little. I don't disdain them for knowing very little --I know very little-- but I try to have the good grace and good sense not to pontificate about that which I know not enough.

Enough of that.

I've recently become intrigued by the possibilities inherent in mixed-material frames, specifically ti-carbon. The notion of capitalizing on the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of the respective materials (assuming one could identify/reach consensus on said strengths and weaknesses; but let that pass) strikes me as at least potentially viable and interesting. Also worth examination is the vibration filtering effect such a mix would create. The efficacy of mixed materials damping a wider frequency range than a single material would seem to be settled science (although it begs the question of whether the rider would like the resulting feel or not).

Checking out existing mixed ti-carbon frames, past and present, I was struck by the various approaches to execution in areas where I would have expected (foolishly) some consistency.

For example, the Serotta Ottrott, the first mixed-material frame I took a close look at, utilizes ti lugged carbon top and down tubes, but a ti seat tube. Fair enough, thought I; they concluded, empirically one would hope, that carbon worked well for top and down tubes, but less well for the specific requirements/stresses/what-have-you, of seat tubes. Then I encountered the Seven Cycles Elium SLX where they evidently concluded, empirically one would again hope, that carbon worked well for seat and top tubes; less well for down tubes.

In short, two presumably competent engineering staffs coming to two opposing conclusions regarding the desirability of utilizing carbon for seat tubes and down tubes.

While I've inferred one logical answer to this seeming conundrum, (i.e. they both work fine but Serotta thought a ti seat tube looked cool and Seven thought a ti down tube looked cool) I invite better informed commentary.

Thanks to the owners of the forum for allowing me to participate and to the readers of the foregoing for indulging my going on at such length.

nmrt
03-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the forum. I do not have much to add to your observations about Carbon-Ti interface except to say that the discrepancies between manufacturers also keep me puzzled.

It reminds me of an quote often attributed incorrectly to Mark Twain:

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

zank
03-25-2017, 11:53 AM
I also believe the answer you came to is the correct one, but with a slight twist. My answer goes like this. They both work fine but Serotta thought the majority of prospective clients think a ti seat tube looks cool and Seven thought the majority of prospective clients think a ti down tube looks cool.

nmrt
03-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Funny -- the dudes who were a part of Serotta but are now at No. 22 bikes want to put carbon on the seat tube. Apparently, Firefly agrees.

Actually, anyone know of any current manufacturer that used Ti in the seat tube instead of carbon for a Ti-carbon bike?

veloduffer
03-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Holland has its Exogrid tubes that are a combination of ti and carbon.

I think it's a bit simplistic to think of material having certain vibration absorption properties. There's a lot of variability (i.e. Ride characteristics) that are from choice of tube diameters, butting, carbon layup, etc. plus length of chain stays, etc; It's all part of the builder's design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloozoe
03-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Holland has its Exogrid tubes that are a combination of ti and carbon.

I think it's a bit simplistic to think of material having certain vibration absorption properties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never said that. (although they do although I wouldn't use the word "absorption") Said that when you combine two different materials, you'll have different and broader dampening effects than either of the two materials on its own.

Seen the Exogrid. Very cool.

Cloozoe
03-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Zank - yep, I guess that puts a finer point on it.

nmrt - Thanks for the welcome. I can't think of anybody besides (formerly) Serotta doing the seat tube out of ti either.

Part of the reason I find the whole mixed thing interesting is that while a carbon bike is easily justifiable as an approach to frame building and ti is equally easily justifiable, a mixed bike is kind of proclaiming that:

a) for specific sections of a bike frame ti is better than carbon or vice versa and that they know which is which.

~and/or~

b) the combination of the two materials results in a synergy that creates a characteristic (presumably positive) that neither material could reach on its own.

I'm skeptical although open to persuasion re: a).

I think b) is actually likely.

If it's only b), then it may not make a damn bit of difference what the configuration is, but I'd still like to know what the guys who made the choices were thinking.

Or, and this may be most likely of all; they made them out of part carbon and part titanium because they could and because it looked neat, and because it gave them a story to tell.Obviously nothing new or wrong with any of that; applies to every commercial enterprise undertaken since the dawn of man.

earlfoss
03-25-2017, 05:42 PM
You could have split your intro up into enough posts to have access to the buy and sell section.

Kidding!

Welcome.

MattTuck
03-25-2017, 06:02 PM
welcome.

This was pretty similar to my first post on this forum, in 2008!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=48142&highlight=serotta

I am looking at the Ottrott from Serotta and the Elium SG from Seven.

I am curious about the difference in design Ottrott has carbon fiber on top tube and down tube, Elium SG has carbon fiber on top tube and seat tube, not the down tube.

Is there an engineering argument for either of these configurations? How would it affect the ride of the bike? Are the two different designs trying to achieve different results?

beeatnik
03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Cloozoe, I like your parenthetical style.

Ti-carbon is so weird.

Cloozoe
03-25-2017, 07:01 PM
You could have split your intro up into enough posts to have access to the buy and sell section.

Kidding!

Welcome.

True, but notice how I've been milking it ever since. And thanks.

Cloozoe
03-25-2017, 07:02 PM
welcome.

This was pretty similar to my first post on this forum, in 2008!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=48142&highlight=serotta

Remarkably similar; and it took you a damn sight fewer words to get to the point, too.

Cloozoe
03-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Cloozoe, I like your parenthetical style.

Ti-carbon is so weird.

Well, thanks. It accurately reflects my total lack of focus.

Tickdoc
03-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Welcome!

I have no technical prowess that could help answer your question in any way shape or form, but I would venture a guess that most of the mixing you see is either comfort or weight based.

The ottortt is the gold standard in mixed material comfort from all that I have heard, and I would love to have a chance to ride one some day to feel it for myself.

I've got two ti/Carbon mixed bikes, one with Carbon seat tube/seat stays(seven Odonata) and the other with carbon chain and sat stays (colnago ct1)

Those two are pretty different in ride characteristics but not from materials I suspect as much as geometry and components. ( and nearly ten years of technology between them)

It seems like the trends sway back and forth between builders, but I'm no where near smart enough to know why.

It does seem the second coming of mixed materials is upon us.

I'm curious how your question would fare over at velocipde salon amongst the builders.

cadence90
03-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Welcome to PF.

Wittson (http://wittson.com/) (ex-Colnago ti builder) have also done a variety of very nice ti-carbon frames.

Perhaps Mindaugas (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=197027) will post some knowledge here.

SoCalSteve
03-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Stop overthinking it!

Buy yourself a used Ottrott in your size ( with the ST rear triangle ) and be done with it. Best riding, smoothest bike I've ever ridden ( and I've owned and ridden quite a few ).

I think you will find this sentiment to be true for all Ottrott owners. Serotta just got it 110% right when they designed and built the Ottrott.

Enjoy...:beer:

pdmtong
03-25-2017, 09:36 PM
The third mixed material variant was Independent Fabrication XS...ti lugs and CS. Carbon tubes everywhere else.

One popular thought is mixed material was the only way these three (serotta, seven, and IF) could say they had a "carbon" offering. Mixed material got carbon into the conversations about those brands, while retaining their strengths in metal.

It's not always obvious in pictures, but the TT and DT carbon tubes in an ottrott are different orientation and diameter end-end. The TT is smaller at the ST and the DT is smaller at the HT. I do not believe Seven or IF had this capability back in the last of the mixed metal peak ~2005-2008.

An ottrott is a very smooth bike, but I am not in the camp that says it is the smoothest. was definitely fun to ride although tom me always felt more lexus than bmw...put the power down and at some point you realize you are blasting.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697882533&stc=1&d=1402803469

Ti Designs
03-25-2017, 10:01 PM
the only way you'd find me riding in a paceline is if the guy behind me had a gun pointed at my head

My first suggestion is to find a group ride where nobody is pointing a gun at you.

My second suggestion, if you're really into the physics of riding a bike, is to take a close look at how the rider powers the bike. There's more to be gained or lost in that interface than there is from going to an entry level bike to the most expensive bike there is.

Cloozoe
03-26-2017, 02:27 AM
Stop overthinking it!

Buy yourself a used Ottrott in your size ( with the ST rear triangle ) and be done with it. Best riding, smoothest bike I've ever ridden ( and I've owned and ridden quite a few ).

I think you will find this sentiment to be true for all Ottrott owners. Serotta just got it 110% right when they designed and built the Ottrott.

Enjoy...:beer:

Thanks Steve, but this isn't one of those "which bike should I buy" threads; although you're certainly to be forgiven for not slogging through the opening post in order to know that

Cloozoe
03-26-2017, 02:32 AM
...take a close look at how the rider powers the bike. There's more to be gained or lost in that interface than there is from going to an entry level bike to the most expensive bike there is.

Damn! And here I thought that the only thing separating me from Tom Boonen was that his bike was better than my Sting-Ray. And tell me again: to make the back wheel turn, I step on those crank-y looking things?

Cloozoe
03-26-2017, 02:54 AM
One popular thought is mixed material was the only way these three (serotta, seven, and IF) could say they had a "carbon" offering. Mixed material got carbon into the conversations about those brands, while retaining their strengths in metal.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697882533&stc=1&d=1402803469

Sounds entirely plausible, and thanks for the other thoughts in your reply.