PDA

View Full Version : stop aging... ride yer bike... hard.

thwart
03-25-2017, 07:01 AM
From the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/well/move/the-best-exercise-for-aging-muscles.html

Interval workouts on the bike stop aging on a cellular level, especially in older cyclists.

mack
03-25-2017, 09:32 AM
great article....Spring riding LSD doesn't seem to benefit me like in the past and last spring I played with more intensity and my results, or fitness, seemed to mirror the findings in this article.
Thanks for posting!
-mack

03-25-2017, 10:21 AM
This addresses potential mitochondrial gene activation after hard exercise. I fundamentally think it's pointing in the right direction, but there are a lot of jumps in the logic to get to the Times' conclusion. As a result, I'd be pretty skeptical of relying on this result alone.

Just a few examples:

After hard workout there is increased production from many genes, mitochondrial and otherwise, to enable recovery. Recovery activation and permanent (or even longer-term reactivation) are very different critters. There are subsequent isotope-tagged studies that could have determined time courses for any changes and their benefits.

The blots used to detect the differences are pretty crude for determining activation levels. The photos suggest a lot of experimental variability.

To go from activation to actual health or longevity matters isn't necessarily a clear progression.

This is interesting, but don't hang your training program on it yet. There are other reasons to indulge in hard interval training and I'd count on those more.

03-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Here's an interesting thread if you want to work on lung performance:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/scientists-have-discovered-a-secret-function-of-lungs/

Very preliminary but quite cool.

03-25-2017, 12:49 PM
And here's another thought about the whole hard interval argument.

There are now two big studies out looking at what actually leads to health and what actually leads to longevity. People who did a hard physical workout but then sat or lay down for most of the rest of the day failed to gain as substantial a benefit in long-term health or longevity. They did better than the baseline non-active control, but nowhere near as well as those who remained in motion (even just gardening, doing dog walks, whatever, before and after the workout). When using measurements such as strength, aerobic capacity, FTP, and so on, those measurements didn't correlate especially well with actual long-term health or longevity (and this is without getting into atrial fibrillation and other open issues we're reading about these days). As fit as you might become, spending most of your day in active moving mode, even if it's just walking, is significantly more beneficial. It may not help you win races, but for longevity it correlates pretty effectively.

simplemind
03-27-2017, 08:15 AM
There are now two big studies out looking at what actually leads to health and what actually leads to longevity.

Thanks for that very interesting information, do you happen to have the referenced links? I'm a proponent of afternoon naps, so maybe that's not the best regimen! ;)

maxdog
03-27-2017, 03:48 PM
great article....Spring riding LSD doesn't seem to benefit me like in the past and last spring I played with more intensity and my results, or fitness, seemed to mirror the findings in this article.
Thanks for posting!
-mack

Riding while tripping, seems dangerous to me.

Mzilliox
03-27-2017, 04:21 PM

It probably is, but ive never felt so much like a bird...:eek:

key is to scout the locations, look for a really easy downhill with no traffic close to home... you won't remember the climb at all, then you do the downhill, and you are flying, in your head, and i mean really flying. its so good it doesn't matter that you have to climb the hill to do it again, you just do...:banana:

hmm, somehow i don't think this is the advice we were looking for. but its there anyway

54ny77
03-27-2017, 04:43 PM
To think, prior generations took chemicals to create a virtual world. Now there's Zwift's Grateful Fred. Jerry Garcia would be proud.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/d1/aa/48d1aab1fa2f7fbda3be051f9d9520aa.jpg

:p

Don49
03-27-2017, 07:12 PM
The dietary analogue to interval training is intermittent fasting.

Ronsonic
03-27-2017, 10:57 PM

There are now two big studies out looking at what actually leads to health and what actually leads to longevity. People who did a hard physical workout but then sat or lay down for most of the rest of the day failed to gain as substantial a benefit in long-term health or longevity. They did better than the baseline non-active control, but nowhere near as well as those who remained in motion (even just gardening, doing dog walks, whatever, before and after the workout).

This parallels my completely unscientific perceptions of my own physical well-being and health. Desk work and excessive sitting cannot be offset by high intensity training alone. :( Gotta keep moving to feel well. At least now that I'm old and more prone to recreational sitting. Like typing this, now. :eek:

marciero
03-28-2017, 04:23 AM
There seems to be a growing body of evidence and reports favoring intensity over the past few years, scientific and anecdotal. You have books by Grant Peterson and Joe Friel, and the example of older elite athletes like Ned Overend.

I am also keeping an eye on the growing body of evidence for heart arhythmia and the example of older endurance athletes like Lennard Zinn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cloozoe
03-28-2017, 07:41 AM
HIIT is a pretty well established protocol for general fitness, muscle building, fat burning, etc. How it relates to maximizing cycling specific performance I couldn't say.

jumphigher
03-28-2017, 08:11 AM

There are now two big studies out looking at what actually leads to health and what actually leads to longevity. People who did a hard physical workout but then sat or lay down for most of the rest of the day failed to gain as substantial a benefit in long-term health or longevity. They did better than the baseline non-active control, but nowhere near as well as those who remained in motion (even just gardening, doing dog walks, whatever, before and after the workout). When using measurements such as strength, aerobic capacity, FTP, and so on, those measurements didn't correlate especially well with actual long-term health or longevity (and this is without getting into atrial fibrillation and other open issues we're reading about these days). As fit as you might become, spending most of your day in active moving mode, even if it's just walking, is significantly more beneficial. It may not help you win races, but for longevity it correlates pretty effectively.

I've often wondered about that, in the same way some people think they can 'eat whatever they want' if they work out, which of course you cant really do if you want to be in good shape. I could definitely see being otherwise sedentary negating workouts to some degree.