PDA

View Full Version : NorCal riders - talk to me about North Bay vs. Sacramento riding

Clean39T
03-24-2017, 10:29 PM
:help: I'm hoping someone can give me some compare/contrast info on the riding in the North Bay (say, Petaluma to Napa) vs. Sacramento (Midtown or maybe up 50 somewhere). Extra credit for some info on the East Bay or somewhere around Walnut Creek. I'm looking at some work opportunities that would have me mostly working from home, but potentially doing on-site in SF or Sacramento. I'm relatively familiar with the geography around Sacramento, and from Sebastapol over to Napa, but I haven't done any riding in either area. Same thing for the Berkeley/Oakland to Walnut Creek area. My idea of a good time is 3-5 hrs on the bike with a good group of folks moving swiftly but not hammering each other. I like climbing and exploring - getting out into remote areas, etc. So, whaddya think? :help:

Bonus: I'll be taking a road trip down through there in two weeks with my bike in tow - headed all the way to Santa Barbara to see Radiohead, but doing some exploring on the way back. Any one "must ride" in either area that would give me a good feel for the scene? Bike shops to stop into that are Paceline-approved?

mhespenheide
03-24-2017, 10:51 PM
If you have time near Santa Barbara, drop me a line. I'm in the Santa Ynez valley, about 45 minutes north. Some great roads (although poorly paved, so 28's are suggested) around here.

FlashUNC
03-24-2017, 11:21 PM
If you want to ride the Berkeley Hills, drop me a line.

Clean39T
03-25-2017, 12:36 AM
If you have time near Santa Barbara, drop me a line. I'm in the Santa Ynez valley, about 45 minutes north. Some great roads (although poorly paved, so 28's are suggested) around here.

I think I'll have two days there - staying in Montecito actually - I know I'll hit Handlebar, just need to research some rides - realistically though, I'll be lucky to get a three hour hall pass, this being a family vacation and all that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duende
03-25-2017, 12:41 AM
Orinda Bart to Morada way... up the backside of the Oakland hills... then to Grizzly Peak down to Berkeley is a great quick east bay exploration ride.

North bay... hawk hill to paradise loop. Or Mt Tam

Sf

3 hills ride.... McClaren park to Mt Davidson to twin peaks.

Or the city loop... around Lake Merced down the great highway, up Clif house, up to the legion of honor, down to Baker beach, back up to the presidio then down to Crissy field and the Embarcadero.

So many great rides to see the city sights. Tons of other ones too if you want to get away from the cities.

8aaron8
03-25-2017, 09:35 AM
I will start by saying I am very jealous of your Radiohead tickets, I tried to get some for the nights in Berkeley, but those damn bots swooped in for the kill.

Aside from that, I live in Sacramento and really love the riding, at least in comparison to my old home town. There is a 31 mile bike trail from downtown up to Folsom that is great as there is good scenery and no cars. The trail is a bit more exciting as you move towards Folsom as there are more rolling hills and climbs. It is great to be able to ride a bike 62 miles without coming in contact with a car. Additionally, the town of Auburn isn't too far out and there is great riding, both road and mtb, to be had there. Lots of hills and tranquil foothill scenery. Finally, there is a lot of wine country to explore which has the remote appeal.

Clean39T
03-25-2017, 11:18 AM
I will start by saying I am very jealous of your Radiohead tickets, I tried to get some for the nights in Berkeley, but those damn bots swooped in for the kill.

Aside from that, I live in Sacramento and really love the riding, at least in comparison to my old home town. There is a 31 mile bike trail from downtown up to Folsom that is great as there is good scenery and no cars. The trail is a bit more exciting as you move towards Folsom as there are more rolling hills and climbs. It is great to be able to ride a bike 62 miles without coming in contact with a car. Additionally, the town of Auburn isn't too far out and there is great riding, both road and mtb, to be had there. Lots of hills and tranquil foothill scenery. Finally, there is a lot of wine country to explore which has the remote appeal.

We got bumped by Ticketmaster for the Portland show, and my wife somehow got on the SB bowl site and got tickets. It's a bucket-list thing for her. I saw them on the Kid-A tour at the Gorge Amphitheater..

Thanks for the Sacramento info. Is Nevada City too far out for occasional trips to downtown? What about areas out past Folsom? In a previous life I was an ultra-runner, so I'm familiar somewhat w the Western States terrain down into Auburn.

malbecman
03-25-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm from the Davis Bike Club so you are always welcome to join us on one of our rides...most sound like the pace you are looking for:

http://www.davisbikeclub.org/rides-and-events

Some of the longer rides and the rando types in our club go over to Napa from here or head east to the foothills.

Folsom also has a very active bike club, you might want to look there.

8aaron8
03-25-2017, 11:06 PM
We got bumped by Ticketmaster for the Portland show, and my wife somehow got on the SB bowl site and got tickets. It's a bucket-list thing for her. I saw them on the Kid-A tour at the Gorge Amphitheater..

Thanks for the Sacramento info. Is Nevada City too far out for occasional trips to downtown? What about areas out past Folsom? In a previous life I was an ultra-runner, so I'm familiar somewhat w the Western States terrain down into Auburn.

I believe Nevada City is about an hour drive, so that depends on how worthy you think the drive in would be. I haven't explored much past Folsom, but the El Dorado Hills are pretty.

SoCalSteve
03-25-2017, 11:31 PM

I would definitely take this gentleman up on his offer! Very beautiful country/riding in that part of CA. Just ask anyone who has done the Solvang Century. (calling Jeff N.).

weaponsgrade
03-26-2017, 12:15 AM
I haven't done much riding in Sacramento but it gets hot in the summers at least compared to the Bay Area. Santa Rosa has some beautiful roads. Checkout the routes from the Levi Gran Fondo. For iconic rides closer to SF, I would recommend Ridge Crest on Mt Tam (aka Seven Sisters), Alpine dam, and Bolinas Fairfax road.

Hindmost
03-26-2017, 10:36 AM
I will try to provide a simple answer.

Central/West Sonoma County:

Riding opportunities, all kinds +++
Weather +++
Access to SF +1/2

Walnut Creek:

Riding opportunities ++
Weather +++
Access to SF ++

Sacramento Area:

Riding opportunities +
Weather +1/2
Access to downtown ++

YMMV, ATMO, etc.

Clean39T
03-26-2017, 12:09 PM
So what you're saying is...do Central/West Sonoma County [emoji6]

Any narrower recommendations for towns on the smaller side? Petaluma vs Mill Valley vs Sonoma, etc. Things we like are: food co-ops / farmers markets, coffee, books, vegetarian food, bread..

MikeD
03-26-2017, 12:25 PM
No comparison. Sacramento is flat. Nuff said.

doomridesout
03-26-2017, 02:41 PM
The Napa/Sonoma area is the best of the ones you've listed for riding, no doubt about it. I'm in the valley near Sac and it's flat as a pancake and very hot in the summer. Napa/Sonoma is much more temperate year round and some of the best roads anywhere. Not to say that the foothills east of Sacramento are bad riding, they can be great, but starting fresh, Napa/Sonoma is where I'd go.

jtakeda
03-26-2017, 02:53 PM
I got you in east bay--Oakland Berkeley etc

Hindmost
03-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Any narrower recommendations for towns on the smaller side?

In general Marin County is pricer than Sonoma County. I would suggest towns in the Santa Rosa/Russian River basin and Petaluma area. Santa Rosa, maybe a larger town than you have in mind, is itself a great starting point with all the amenities and cycling opportunities one could hope for. And it is a good base to familiarize oneself with more county-wide possibilities.

donevwil
03-26-2017, 07:35 PM
So what you're saying is...do Central/West Sonoma County [emoji6]

Any narrower recommendations for towns on the smaller side? Petaluma vs Mill Valley vs Sonoma, etc. Things we like are: food co-ops / farmers markets, coffee, books, vegetarian food, bread..

Well, Petaluma kind of hits all these wishes. Not as small as you might think, or want, but has everything (+ and -) and is central to all the great Sonoma or Marin County rides as long as 70+ miles doesn't intimidate you. (If this is ultimately your choice feel free to PM me.)

That said I'll suggest Occidental, central to the best of all Sonoma County rides (King Ridge, Coleman Valley, Old Cazadero, Willow Creek, ,etc., etc.....) a cute very small town that has everything you'd need, short drive to Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, Bodega Bay, Russian River, etc. Lastly, hook up with Paceline member K U R T at his tasting room and enjoy his phenomenal Pinots.

Saxon
03-26-2017, 10:02 PM
No comparison. Sacramento is flat. Nuff said.

Don't count Sac out so fast for climbing. I do 3000 feet in a 20 mile route once a week from the trail in Folsom up into EDH. Beatty, Ridgeview, Wilson, Iron Point and Terracina drive all offer pretty challenging climbs.

I'd check out the climb up Mount Diablo if you're in the area. Pretty cool ride.