PDA

View Full Version : New stuff fromTomii

misterha
03-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Have been a fan of his work especially the details that he puts in each frame.

Now he's offering stock frame which looks great!

https://www.tomiicycles.com/canvas

beeatnik
03-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Bargain.

thirdgenbird
03-24-2017, 09:02 PM
I love everything but the tire clearance.

phoenix
03-24-2017, 09:10 PM
That Canvas looks pretty nice

beeatnik
03-24-2017, 11:03 PM

i'd guess due to the stock geo offering he can't get too cute by offering mountain-bike-gravel-graunder-bigger-is-better tire clearance. 25 should be the new 28.

Ttx1
03-25-2017, 05:21 AM
very nice.

misterha
03-25-2017, 05:33 AM

I'm sure he'll over a disc/gravel/adventure/ variant in the future if this turns our successful

R3awak3n
03-25-2017, 05:42 AM
at least 28m minimum clearance though. Its not a race bike, 28mm and 32mm without fenders would have been nice (bike has a rack so some plumpler tires will do the owner some good)

this is nice though, really pretty. The rack is cool too.

William
03-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Cool.:cool:

#bigGuysGetNoLove

William

SlackMan
03-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Cool. My favorite by far is still "Bobby's fat road #12." Not just the frame, but the whole build.

thirdgenbird
03-25-2017, 09:04 AM
i'd guess due to the stock geo offering he can't get too cute by offering mountain-bike-gravel-graunder-bigger-is-better tire clearance. 25 should be the new 28.

I don't want mountain bike. 28 with short reach brakes would have me tempted. 32-35mm with mid reach would really have me very tempted.

25mm just seem odd in today's market on a bike delivered with rack. Quite few high end race bikes will clear a 28.

gomango
03-25-2017, 09:57 AM
I don't want mountain bike. 28 with short reach brakes would have me tempted. 32-35mm with mid reach would really have me very tempted.

25mm just seem odd in today's market on a bike delivered with rack. Quite few high end race bikes will clear a 28.

Exactly.

I would seriously consider one at that price point if it would accept 28-32s.

The streets here in the Twin Cities stink and I'm not going back to narrow tires.

ColonelJLloyd
03-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Man, the frame building gig has to be one of the toughest out there to make a buck. I respect these guys for doing what they love and making it work, even if for most of them it's a part time side project from whatever makes ends meet.

For those interested in 28-35mm tires and a 1 1/8" head tube, there are builders who can put you on custom geo TIG'd steel with the new Whisky No. 7 fork at this price. Not to take away from Tomii's beautiful work and what is likely nice wet paint.

Personally, though, I find riding out of the saddle with a saddle bag like the kind this rack is for to kinda suck.

The streets here in the Twin Cities stink and I'm not going back to narrow tires.

That's my issue. Coupled with the fact that I'm well over 150#. It makes sense that tire volume increase with rider weight.

gomango
03-25-2017, 11:23 AM
It makes sense that tire volume increase with rider weight.

My son's Della Santa takes 700 x28s with no sweat.

He's built like a sprinter, but I'm not.

I weigh in like a fullback nowadays.

I suppose a guy could call Roland Della Santa and have him whip up a whale of a frameset for a similar pricepoint as Tomii.

eBAUMANN
03-25-2017, 11:27 AM
did bet it could fit 28's...

ill ask him and report back ;)

sandyrs
03-25-2017, 11:54 AM
I think that's really nice and appreciate that he isn't trying to be all things to all riders. Despite our little corner of the internet being heavily into bigger tires lots of riders still dig 25's for all of their road riding and the inclusion of the rack sets this bike apart from a lot of other stock road bikes. After all it's not like he is making many of these. It's still just one guy trying to sell a few bikes.

kingpin75s
03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Exactly.

I would seriously consider one at that price point if it would accept 28-32s.

+1

Have not ridden anything less than 26c in years here in the Twin Cities and am debating whether I will be riding anything less than 28c this year.

Nice concept. Fair price. Would have broader appeal with ability to accept a little bigger rubber as has been stated. 28-32c sure would be nice on that baby!

beeatnik
03-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Many cats around here believe that the difference between a 25 and 28 is the equivalent to the difference between a 19 and a 23. It is not.

Big is qoo. But race bikas, road bikas were never designed for 32, 34, 38 or whatever. The big tire or 650B trend is 25% hype, 25% Bicycle Quarterly, 25% Aesthetic (look at all that gumwall!!!) and 25% Science. Any rider who thinks there's a quantifiable difference in ride quality between a good 25 and a 28 should probably quit bikes and ride in the back seat of a Cadillac. Anyway, I'm just mad cos the Bruins lost.

25 is not a deal breaker.

velotrack
03-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Many cats around here believe that the difference between a 25 and 28 is the equivalent to the difference between a 19 and a 23. It is not.

Big is qoo. But race bikas, road bikas were never designed for 32, 34, 38 or whatever. The big tire or 650B trend is 25% hype, 25% Bicycle Quarterly, 25% Aesthetic (look at all that gumwall!!!) and 25% Science. Any rider who thinks there's a quantifiable difference in ride quality between a good 25 and a 28 should probably quit bikes and ride in the back seat of a Cadillac. Anyway, I'm just mad cos the Bruins lost.

Totally agree. And it's a steal for $2k.
(I'll bet you it clears a 28 anyways - lots of bikes claim 25 but fit 28's).

DeAaron Fox played a good game. I suppose we should be hearing something from Lavar Ball sometime soon. :no:

ColonelJLloyd
03-25-2017, 02:29 PM

For sure. But don't be butt hurt because other people like different tires for sound reasons.

Like sandyrs said, good for Tomii for not marketing a bike to be all things to all people.

Race bikes don't have racks for fop saddlebags either so that one is a head scratcher. But, we're all picking nits at what will be a couple dozen bikes in the world. It's silly of me to spend anytime thinking about it all, really.

beeatnik
03-25-2017, 02:35 PM
It's not about liking it's about claiming supernatural improvements in ride quality or comfort.

ColonelJLloyd
03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Oh. Well, for me it's about a real preference. I'm not begrudging you because because you dig your tires and can set your bikes up with a much better looking position than I can, though I might wish my bikes looked more racer and less old man.

FWIW, I don't disagree that a lot of what comes off as "obvious fact" in BQ is pretty tough to swallow.

beeatnik
03-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Colonel, we're speaking the same language (different dialects). Choice is a good thing. With regard to Tomii's bike, I take the half full glass position. He's offering a standard race/road bike which gives you the option of occasionally carrying a small load (and not needing to buy a goofy burrito bag to clutter up your cockpit). Interestingly enough, at the moment I'm riding 28s on my main bike (C60). When I last pumped up my tires it occurred to me to confirm the clearance, thinking I was running 25's I was a little surprised to see 28s on there as the ride quality has hardly improved.

Now, 32's, that's a different story.

gomango
03-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Have you measured a Veloflex Master 25?

That's what I used to exclusively ride for clinchers.

Measures out like a 23.

But that's not really the point. This Tomii has a rear rack for gosh sakes.

It will be a long wait to see one of these show up at our Tuesday night crits at our fairgrounds.

Aside from that, I have sold most of my one purpose road bikes for all-road bikes.

I'm getting tired of dodging SUVs and pick up up trucks. I like riding out to the gravel just outside of town and hopping on the hundreds of miles of gravel roads right around town.

I'm just saying this bike would be more interesting to me if it was a little more versatile.

ColonelJLloyd
03-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Colonel, we're speaking the same language (different dialects). Choice is a good thing. With regard to Tomii's bike, I take the half full glass position. He's offering a standard race/road bike which gives you the option of occasionally carrying a small load (and not needing to buy a goofy burrito bag to clutter up your cockpit). Interestingly enough, at the moment I'm riding 28s on my main bike (C60). When I last pumped up my tires it occurred to me to confirm the clearance, thinking I was running 25's I was a little surprised to see 28s on there as the ride quality has hardly improved.

Now, 32's, that's a different story.

Yes, I realized as I was typing my last comment all I was doing was arguing for the sake of it. My apologies.

If someone wants a bike for fat tires, get a bike for fat tires. This cool Tomii product ain't that bike. I'm just sore that I'm in the office instead of outside on a bike when it's rarefied CA weather in KY today. And my alma matter was out round 2; chokers.

choke
03-25-2017, 03:37 PM
i'd guess due to the stock geo offering he can't get too cute by offering mountain-bike-gravel-graunder-bigger-is-better tire clearance. 25 should be the new 28.Huh? It's not as if it's harder to make them with clearance for 28s considering he is the one building them.

25 is not a deal breaker.For you it's not...obviously for many others it is. We all have our deal breakers and what isn't one for you may be one for someone else. Clearance for at least 28s is one of those deal breakers for me; another one is provisions for DT shifters. I see a lot of bikes for sale that I really like and some of those I might have seriously considered purchasing but for one item - they have cable stops on the headtube/DT instead of DT shifter bosses. It's a bummer when that's the case but it takes them out of the running for me.

icepick_trotsky
03-25-2017, 03:51 PM
I bet that frame would fit a 28. Not a deal breaker for me either way. 25c is plenty of tire for road, IMO.

gomango
03-25-2017, 03:58 PM
I emailed about tire clearance.

I really like the frameset other than that issue.

Important to me, while it's clearly no biggie for others.

weaponsgrade
03-25-2017, 04:22 PM
I'm wondering if the reason 25mm is listed is because that's the max width Enve specs for their road forks. The pads on the rear brake are at the end of the slots. So I'm guessing the rear would clear bigger than 25s.

eBAUMANN
03-25-2017, 04:24 PM
I'm wondering if the reason 25mm is listed is because that's the max width Enve specs for their road forks.

That is probably it.

velotrack
03-25-2017, 04:25 PM
I'm wondering if the reason 25mm is listed is because that's the max width Enve specs for their road forks. The pads on the rear brake are at the end of the slots. So I'm guessing the rear would clear bigger than 25s.

That is probably it.

Which is a good sign, since those ENVE forks clear most 28's from what I've seen.

grateful
03-25-2017, 04:38 PM
If it only came with a threaded fork it would be the perfect bike. I don't know what he is thinking.

My uneducated guess is that the frame builder elected to make a stock frame that spoke to him. It may be his vision of the perfect bike.

On a side note, Tomii is a custom frame builder. You can have exactly the bike you want. Just ask.

gomango
03-25-2017, 04:43 PM
On a side note, Tomii is a custom frame builder. You can have exactly the bike you want. Just ask.

Good point.

I was just looking at his custom pricing and it is quite reasonable for the quality received.

https://www.tomiicycles.com/pricing

thirdgenbird
03-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Wow, that is reasonable.

A similar frame/rack with a Wound Up fork and a bit more clearance for me.

Pegoready
03-25-2017, 09:14 PM
I'm all for a stock bike that only clears 25's, ala Speedvagen road bike, but the rear rack sends a mixed message. 25's + rear rack loaded down at times is a strange concept.

He could have easily kept the price the same and used Whisky's new Road Plus fork for 47-57 mm calipers.

Also, why show these Velo Orange 47-57 reach calipers on the page when the frameset is for short reach brakes?

gomango
03-25-2017, 09:26 PM
Wow, that is reasonable.

A similar frame/rack with a Wound Up fork and a bit more clearance for me.

Nao got back to me pronto.

28s should be good to go front and rear.

BTW Check out the Whisky 7 as well....