PDA

View Full Version : Ride quality- Shamal, Neutron, Kysrium

gpl916
03-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new set of wheels for my Merlin build. I was originally set on Bora One 35's, but decided to stick with AL for now. I did a search and could not really answer my question.

I am set on buying one of the Campy models listed (Shamal or Neutron) so while there are many others to consider I would like to focus on these.

I will run 25mm tires for now and probably 28mm in the winter if they will fit.

My question is the relative ride quality between the Shamal Mille, Neutron Ultra, and Kysrium SSC SL.

My first Extralight had the SSC SL's and I thought they were too stiff. I put on a set of used Neutron Ultras and loved them!

I like the idea of improved braking in the rain so i am looking at the Shamal Mille and wondering how the ride compares to the Ultra's and SSC SL's?

I know they will be somewhat stiffer than the Neutrons as they are deeper. Will they be as harsh as the Kysriums?

I can't find the Mille in 2 way fit so should I consider Shamal Ultra 2 way fit and run them tubeless as an alternative for a softer ride?

Thanks!

ps- I weigh about 170lbs.

shovelhd
03-24-2017, 11:08 AM
I haven't ridden the Campy wheels but from my perspective the Kysriums ride like crap. Harsh, noisy, very susceptible to wind. Soft rims.

FlashUNC
03-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Have a pair of the Milles, they ride great. I like them a lot. But a couple things to keep in mind:

The Milles will lose their coating riding in the rain. Unless you're committed to running tubeless, I'd avoid the 2-way wheels personally. And the Milles seem to just eat brake pads, though that might be a function of the terrain where I ride.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1476/25127100486_8066448046_b.jpg

gpl916
03-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Have a pair of the Milles, they ride great. I like them a lot. But a couple things to keep in mind:

The Milles will lose their coating riding in the rain. Unless you're committed to running tubeless, I'd avoid the 2-way wheels personally. And the Milles seem to just eat brake pads, though that might be a function of the terrain where I ride.

[/IMG]

I'd love to ride where you ride!

The Mille's would look really good with the build I have in mind. Do you think they would lose the coating on just the brake track? How much are the blue pads?

g

FlashUNC
03-24-2017, 11:21 AM
I'd love to ride where you ride!

The Mille's would look really good with the build I have in mind. Do you think they would lose the coating on just the brake track? How much are the blue pads?

g

Been riding them regularly though a very wet winter here. The track itself is getting streaked up pretty good, but the rest of the wheel looks fine.

The pads aren't crazy expensive, just can be hard to find at times. I usually hoard a couple pairs in the parts bin just in case.

Kirk007
03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
I have Shamal tubulars and the older neutron tubulars. No doubt the Shamals are a firmer ride but I use the word firm intentionally rather than "stiff" which can have some derogatory connotations for wheels. It has been awhile since I've been on Kysriums but I recall them as being stiff is as harsh compared to the Shamals and of course the neutrons.

DrSpoke
03-24-2017, 11:45 AM
I've been running Eurus 2-Ways since 2010. I started with Hutchinson Fusions at 23c. They were very difficult to get on and off the rim. I recently switched the Schwalbe Pro-One @ 23c and they went on by hand and seated/inflated w/a floor pump. I'm planning to put on a set at 25c next. But it would nice to have the wider rim of the Shamal C17.

I can't comment on the ride of the wheels alone as I'm not too sensitive to those types of things. But I do remember when I first put on the wheel/tire combination and the improvement in the ride smoothness was immediately noticeable. No flats in 7 years is a bonus.

sales guy
03-24-2017, 11:49 AM
If you want a super solid wheel that you won't have to worry about, go with the Shamals.

Good power transfer. Very little if any noticeable flex when climbing or out of the saddle. They look good. And you don't have to worry about special pads or crappy shifting since you are using a Campy wheel with Campy components/shifting. The last part, I find to be the most important.

AND, if you enter your bike in the Campy Only awards at NAHBS, they won't kick it out cause you have a different set of wheels on the bike! <---Side note that may not apply to everyone and a REALLY long story!

Anyways, go with Shamal Wheels.

scho74
03-24-2017, 11:59 AM
I haven't tried the ksyriums or neutrons, but I got the C17 shamal mille recently and they've been great. Not harsh at all, but I do have 25 corsas on there that puff up to 27. Plenty stiff for my 145 lbs.

From what I've been reading, I'll have to stock up on brake pads as well.

gpl916
03-24-2017, 12:30 PM
I have Shamal tubulars and the older neutron tubulars. No doubt the Shamals are a firmer ride but I use the word firm intentionally rather than "stiff" which can have some derogatory connotations for wheels. It has been awhile since I've been on Kysriums but I recall them as being stiff is as harsh compared to the Shamals and of course the neutrons.

Harsh, is probably a better term for my thoughts on the Kysriums.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I am leaning towards the Shamals which are running about $850 at the UK sites.

tv_vt
03-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't the aluminum spokes on the Shamals make them feel more like the Ksyriums than the steel-spoked Neutrons? You said you loved some Neutrons when you used them - why aren't they your first choice?

gpl916
03-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't the aluminum spokes on the Shamals make them feel more like the Ksyriums than the steel-spoked Neutrons? You said you loved some Neutrons when you used them - why aren't they your first choice?

Not sure about the ride that's why I am asking those who have ridden both.

The Neutrons are/ were great wheels. But I have read that the coating on the Mille's makes a big difference in braking (especially in the rain) and I live in Seattle.

Secondly the finish on the Shamals would look great with the build as I am thinking of Cerakote (ing) the frame and bits in a matte OD Green. Sort of like this but darker accessories and no white on the frame.

Kirk007
03-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Intuitively this would seem to be the case, and was my experience between the different Kysrium models years ago, but tests have shown that the steel spoked Zondas are stiffer than the Eurus/Shamals and indeed they feel that way to my butt. I feared that Shamals would ride to much like Ksyriums for my taste but it hasn't worked out that way.

Mzilliox
03-24-2017, 01:33 PM
I love my neutrons. I don't have the Ultras, i bet they are even nicer!

pdmtong
03-24-2017, 01:44 PM
IMHO, Mille streaking if and when it happens will be no different than when my Open Pro CD's streaked. I think the aesthetic will still be superb. Braking is better in dry and wet. Campy blue pads can be found easily USA but shimano blue pads are the harder ones to find.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160916/e55891b42ac63d942f6f5bfe2b624372.jpg

scho74
03-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Get the Shamals! They look great on darker colors.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2813/33169920786_feea9c7a16_b.jpg

gpl916
03-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Shamal Mille ordered!

Thanks guys.

Nice looking bikes by the way!

The green one is kind of what I have in mind but in OD Green with very dark lettering.

Hilltopperny
03-24-2017, 02:42 PM
I have neutrons and ksyrium sl wheels. The neutrons are my favorite and feel a little smoother, but my kysrium sl wheels feel fine with the right tire combo. The ksyriums are my winter wheels and I also used them for d2r2 last year. I haven't experienced any issues at all with them and I'm 200lbs.

fignon's barber
03-25-2017, 09:23 AM
OP,

I've had original eurus, the neutrons, the newer eurus, shamal mille c15, and shamal C17. Of all those, I would absolutely go with the new Shamal C17. The mille coating looks good and mine still look new after many miles, but the special blue pads wear way too quickly, can't be used with any other wheels, and are harder to find.

bluesea
03-25-2017, 10:25 AM
OP,

I've had original eurus, the neutrons, the newer eurus, shamal mille c15, and shamal C17. Of all those, I would absolutely go with the new Shamal C17. The mille coating looks good and mine still look new after many miles, but the special blue pads wear way too quickly, can't be used with any other wheels, and are harder to find.

You found no significant ride quality improvement, in the steel spoked Eurus over the aluminum spoked Shamal?

Kirk007
03-25-2017, 01:54 PM
You found no significant ride quality improvement, in the steel spoked Eurus over the aluminum spoked Shamal?

Not the poster to whom this question was asked but the steel spoke Eurus of old are essentially today's Zonda. Not knocking the Zondas at all as I think they are the best bang for the buck in the Campy line, but to my butt, no, the ride quality isn't better than the Shamals.

p nut
07-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Shamal Mille ordered!

Thanks guys.

Nice looking bikes by the way!

The green one is kind of what I have in mind but in OD Green with very dark lettering.

How have you liked the Shamals? Looking at picking up a set, or the Neutrons. Wondering if the Shamals are worth the extra cost, since it looks like they weigh close to the same.

ultraman6970
07-23-2017, 09:06 AM
200 pounds butt in there, the neutrons tubular rock. No idea about the shamals because I have not tried them ever but doubt they ride difrently than the neutrons.

Hilltopperny
07-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Neutrons are amazing for my 200lb self as well. My favorite wheel, but I have yet to try the shamals...

huck*this
07-23-2017, 11:20 AM
I have ridden c15 shamal ultra and now ride zonda c17. Dollar for dollar get a set of c17 Zonda. You could always get ceramic bearings down the line if need be but I don't see the need.

one60
07-23-2017, 02:32 PM
not on your short list but these new wheels are a great option. The oxic coating is baked into the alloy rim (similar to mavic's approach) and shouldn't wear under normal use. The result is a stealthy full black/dark grey wheel. I've got a couple hundred miles on a pair & have been happy I made the purchase.

p nut
07-23-2017, 04:27 PM
I have ridden c15 shamal ultra and now ride zonda c17. Dollar for dollar get a set of c17 Zonda. You could always get ceramic bearings down the line if need be but I don't see the need.

I'm not sure what size tires you're running, but I'm wondering how drastic of difference there is between the C15 and the wider C17. I'll mostly be using 700x25, probably.

r_mutt
07-24-2017, 07:49 PM
A lil late to the party, but by my butt-o-meter, the Shamals felt a bit harsher than the steel spoked Zonda's. FWIW, if the aluminum spoked Shamal was superior to a steel Zonda, why does the Bora have steel spokes?

Mark McM
07-25-2017, 09:02 AM
A lil late to the party, but by my butt-o-meter, the Shamals felt a bit harsher than the steel spoked Zonda's. FWIW, if the aluminum spoked Shamal was superior to a steel Zonda, why does the Bora have steel spokes?

Because the main purpose of aluminum spokes is as a product differentiator?

zap
07-25-2017, 10:54 AM
I haven't ridden the Campy wheels but from my perspective the Kysriums ride like crap. Harsh, noisy, very susceptible to wind. Soft rims.

I find the ride to be acceptable (not that I'm horribly picky about ride) but agree, for shallow rims, surprisingly susceptible to wind.

One wheelset I regret not purchasing years ago........Eurus Carbon. Silver rims, carbon hubs from Bora/Hyperon and steel spokes.

Ralph
07-25-2017, 10:57 AM

That's main reason I think Zonda's are Campy's best all around wheel set (for most uses).....and one of the cheapest....unless you are racing at the highest levels. Also like how my local wheel builder can fix them with off the shelf spokes (and a spoke cutter and threader) However....never broke a Zonda spoke.

r_mutt
07-25-2017, 11:38 AM
agreed- i like the Zonda. I wish i could replace the aluminum spokes on my Shamal with steel ones.

p nut
07-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Speaking of Zonda--they're on Wiggle for ~$350 (C17). Shamal is $750. Is the only difference between the two, the hubs and spokes? Rims are the same? (ones I'm looking at are not 2-way).

r_mutt
07-25-2017, 12:25 PM
I believe that the rim is the same.

huck*this
07-25-2017, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure what size tires you're running, but I'm wondering how drastic of difference there is between the C15 and the wider C17. I'll mostly be using 700x25, probably.

Running a 25mm Corsa G+ couldn't really notice a definitive difference other than looking down and like how well it stretched out the Corsa G+ on the C17. Better cornering, maybe, but honestly just enjoyed the ride altogether. I mean it can't be a bad thing right? Seems to be the happy medium, technology advancement without the "should these wheels belong on a MTB look"

rlanger
07-26-2017, 12:53 AM

For me the difference is quite noticeable using 25s on both rim sizes. Running C17 allows me to reduce tire pressure between 10 and 15 psi, which makes for a significantly more comfortable ride. And yes, cornering at high speeds feels much better to me as well.

Can't go back to C15.

beeatnik
07-26-2017, 01:03 AM
^C15 and C17s are narrow rims by "modern" standards. Ride 29mm Rovals or 27mm Boyds and compare them to the Shamals. Anyhoo, this whole wide rim, mountain bike tire thing is getting out of hand (in terms of marketing hype). Shamals are Shamals.

pdmtong
07-26-2017, 01:12 AM

pdmtong
07-26-2017, 01:12 AM
^C15 and C17s are narrow rims by "modern" standards. Ride 29mm Rovals or 27mm Boyds and compare them to the Shamals. Anyhoo, this whole wide rim, mountain bike tire thing is getting out of hand (in terms of marketing hype). Shamals are Shamals.
sooooooooooo....C17 = placebo?

beeatnik
07-26-2017, 01:14 AM
that and Campy being dumb (or smart!)