PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of TJ...Volta a Catalunya (spoiler)

Keith A
03-23-2017, 08:55 AM
Just catching up on the Volta a Catalunya and was surprised to see TJ leading the race going into stage 4 today.

Looks like there was some controversy for Movistar and the TTT.

572cv
03-23-2017, 01:47 PM
And, a tip of the chapeau, he has held his lead through Stage 4. Not so bad.

MattTuck
03-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Possibly not. He may be relegated, based on the petty fighting that is going on now. There is video of him removing his helmet, a violation of a rule.

Keith A
03-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Possibly not. He may be relegated, based on the petty fighting that is going on now. There is video of him removing his helmet, a violation of a rule.What happened? I missed this?

Also, did anyone see the Movistar push during the TTT? I found a picture of this but couldn't find a video of it. So is any push illegal in a TTT?

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Movistar-TTT-Catalunya.jpg

Keith A
03-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Found it here...
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/bmc-riders-accuse-movistar-of-cheating-at-catalunya-ttt-video/

Wow that was a really minor push...seems like rider #4 was just keeping #7 in front of him.

MattTuck
03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Well, BMC was quite vocal about that 'pushing' during the TTT.

Here's the video of Tejay taking off his helmet. Similar to the TTT thing, if you take a strict interpretation of the rule, he should be punished. The race jury has now gotten itself into a bit of a pickle, because they took a pretty strict reading of the rule with Movistar...

Not sure what will happen, probably nothing. I only saw the TTT pushing occur on 3 instances, the punishment did not seem proportional to me.

https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/844965367546044416

FlashUNC
03-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Its a team time trial, not a Madison.

Bruce K
03-23-2017, 03:56 PM
The push rule is pretty clear and it provides a distinct advantage in a team TT

Not surprised some folks are pretty worked up

BK

PepeM
03-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Found it here...
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/bmc-riders-accuse-movistar-of-cheating-at-catalunya-ttt-video/

Wow that was a really minor push...seems like rider #4 was just keeping #7 in front of him.

There were three pushes, if you can call them that.

Macadamia
03-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Spanish team in a spanish race... I'm surprised the motorcycle wasn't directly in front of them.

All vaguely racist(?) hyperbole aside, best of luck tomorrow Tejay(I think that's it? with one e?)

MattTuck
03-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Its a team time trial, not a Madison.

Are you suggesting that the infraction(s) impacted the end result, or that regardless of any advantage gained, you must apply a strict reading of the rules and punish any infraction to the max?

I'm all for an equal application of the rules, but this seems like a pretty harsh decision given what I see in the videos. I've certainly seen a lot worse behavior get a pass.

If the team were warned by the commissars and continued to do it, I guess that would make the punishment seem more reasonable. but I haven't heard anything like that.

FlashUNC
03-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Are you suggesting that the infraction(s) impacted the end result, or that regardless of any advantage gained, you must apply a strict reading of the rules and punish any infraction to the max?

I'm all for an equal application of the rules, but this seems like a pretty harsh decision given what I see in the videos. I've certainly seen a lot worse behavior get a pass.

If the team were warned by the commissars and continued to do it, I guess that would make the punishment seem more reasonable. but I haven't heard anything like that.

Putting a hand on the guy to get him back in line, even if isn't a forecful push, is still an advantage. It didn't look like a hand on the hip to keep him from drifting into a line. It looked like a hand to give him a little bit of aid to get back in the Paceline. And it looks like they needed him too with just six guys in the photo, no?

Sure the rule is tough, but if you don't apply it, why have the rule? Cycling seems to love having rules and then conveniently ignore them when the infraction wasn't "that bad."

Maybe he doesn't drop off if no hand is given, but it darn sure makes it easier to get back on. I didn't do a lot of team time trials when I still raced, but when I did, even a small help like that could make a big difference. And that was as slow Cat 4 pack fodder.

PepeM
03-23-2017, 06:54 PM
What are the rules regarding hand-slings during road races? Such as those commonly given when someone cannot hold on and opens a gap. Is that ilegal but tolerated or legal?

MattTuck
03-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Putting a hand on the guy to get him back in line, even if isn't a forecful push, is still an advantage. It didn't look like a hand on the hip to keep him from drifting into a line. It looked like a hand to give him a little bit of aid to get back in the Paceline. And it looks like they needed him too with just six guys in the photo, no?

Sure the rule is tough, but if you don't apply it, why have the rule? Cycling seems to love having rules and then conveniently ignore them when the infraction wasn't "that bad."

Maybe he doesn't drop off if no hand is given, but it darn sure makes it easier to get back on. I didn't do a lot of team time trials when I still raced, but when I did, even a small help like that could make a big difference. And that was as slow Cat 4 pack fodder.

I agree on the part about having rules and then ignoring them, or at least applying them arbitrarily. I'd like to see more consistent application of the rules.

I do think this was a violation of the rule, and I only have a problem with its enforcement in the context of other rules that are broken and not enforced. (such as Tejay taking off his helmet today, and I'm rooting for him!) I'm not sure that random strict enforcement of rules is any better than not enforcing the rules at all. This is a 1 week stage race. A minute penalty is huge. Does the time fit the crime? Maybe. If the point is to scare others into not committing the crime, then I can see the value. But, I think a 1 minute penalty is pretty stiff.

From some of the coverage: On Tuesday evening UCI race officials at the race decided that the French version of the rule concerning pushing in team time trials only punishes individual riders, while the English version of the rule indicated that the whole team should be punished.

After studying the case, the Commissaire's Panel came to conclusion that the whole team should be punished.

WHAT? Talk about selective enforcement. How is that kind of inconsistency fair to the riders? There are literally two sets of penalties on the books for the same infraction, depending on which language you're reading? seems legit. :D

FL_MarkD
03-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Meanwhile, back to Tejay. Props to him for being there so far. As always the race toughens up in the late stages. That is a pretty good top 10 going into stage 5. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

unterhausen
03-23-2017, 10:58 PM
originally, three different riders were penalized for getting pushes, and I thought there were 5 total. So we only saw the one and don't know what the others looked like. Getting back on the tail of the paceline after pulling off is one of the biggest efforts involved, possibly more than sitting on the front. You're in the wind, then have to accelerate to catch the wheel of the last guy in line.

simplemind
03-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Where are you guys getting live feed?

bewheels
03-24-2017, 05:59 AM
There is an artical somewhere (I can not find it right now) that explains why the TTT pushes can be an impactful thing to the outcome of a race. The artical was really about way the team needs to take the penalty not just the individual ridres involved. Spoiler...it's because you could push everyone except your GC guy, take the penalties for the workers while having a faster overall time.

Basically, having one guy tail gun the group and push people back in can make a real impact to the teams time because it saves the riders getting back into line the effort required to do so. We have all experienced the "oh ****" moment when tired and trying to latch back onto the group.

Keith A
03-24-2017, 08:15 AM
Where are you guys getting live feed?Steephill.tv

Vientomas
03-24-2017, 09:47 AM
"Sanchez leads van Garderen over the line some 1:49 after Valverde. Pantano and Mollema were also in that group."

Done for the Volta.

Keith A
03-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Fun to watch the end of the race today.