PDA

View Full Version : MISSING IN LOS ANGELES: my Paceline Build Steelman Eurocross

ravdg316
03-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Hi guys,

My 2000 Steelman Eurocross is missing -- last seen at Qs bar in Brentwood or somewhere between Brentwood and Santa Monica on March 19 in the mid afternoon. I left the bar at 5:36 but took a picture of it locked to a post at 3:45 outside Qs. The first picture at an angle is the most recent picture outside of Qs Bar in Brentwood.

I'm not sure how to recover a lost bike or where they go in LA, but anything you guys can do to help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ravdg316
03-21-2017, 10:46 AM
You can reach me by email at rbhatia613 at gmail dot com or call/text me at eight one eight four five eight four one seven three.

Keith A
03-21-2017, 02:25 PM
That stinks! I'm not sure how effective the stolen bike databases are, but you might give this a try. Here's one...
https://bikeindex.org/stolen

ravdg316
03-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Keith! I listed it on there.

Wolfman
03-21-2017, 09:53 PM
I'll keep my eyes open, too. I could probably count on one hand how many Steelmans I've seen here on the Westside. With that red fork and cantis (if it's still in one piece, of course), it should stand out.

ravdg316
03-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Thanks! I'm going to be searching pretty thoroughly tonight myself

Don49
03-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Looks like it was well secured with a large U lock. How did they get that lock off?

Hope you get it back soon, I'll watch around Ventura.

nickrenfro
03-21-2017, 11:28 PM
Sorry again to hear about the missing steelman. Also sorry I still don't have my SS to sell over to you to suplement your loss. Best of luck, man!

Keith A
03-22-2017, 05:47 AM
I also found this link about "LAPD Outlines How to Report a Bike Crash or Theft"...
http://la.streetsblog.org/2010/07/15/lapd-outlines-how-to-report-a-bike-crash-or-theft/

And here's a resource for stolen bikes in California...
http://stolenbikerecovery.org/local/California/

chiasticon
03-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Looks like it was well secured with a large U lock. How did they get that lock off?depends how beefy it is. some you can cut with bolt cutters in seconds. some you need an angle grinder and about ten minutes. some you can actually unlock with a Bic pen :eek:

sorry to hear about the bike man. hope you find it. good luck.

ravdg316
03-22-2017, 07:59 AM
I definitely might have gotten careless and left my keys in the handlebar bag you see in the photo. I was in a good area of LA during the day and I've done that before. That ulock has served me well since I first started using bikes as my primary form of transportation in 2012.

You all should know that I was at a bar from 12-5 watching basketball with a buddy of mine, and that my memory from 5-7 is extremely hazy. I'm a bit shaken up by what I can't remember, which is why I've been careful to say the bike is missing rather than stolen. For all I know I was walking the bike and ditched it on the way home somewhere between Brentwood and Santa Monica. This doesn't sound like something I'd do but then again neither is losing my memory.

I've been able to trace using my phone data that I left the bar at 5:36 and arrived at a McDonald's by my house in Santa Monica a little after 7. I also walked about two miles, according to the apple health app. The total bike ride would normally be about 20 minutes from point A to point B (4.5 miles down hill).

Mistakes were made, but I just want my bike back. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone.

chiasticon
03-22-2017, 08:23 AM
You all should know that I was at a bar from 12-5 watching basketball with a buddy of mine, and that my memory from 5-7 is extremely hazy..well, while I like your style in some regards, I'm also a little scared you were (apparently) going to ride home in that state. hopefully you realized it was a bad idea and dropped the bike off somewhere safe.

ravdg316
03-22-2017, 08:28 AM
@chasticon according to data I was definitely walking. I appreciate the concern man.

Mzilliox
03-22-2017, 08:39 AM
geez man, bad story all the way around, rad bike though