PDA

View Full Version : Campy 8sp Integrated Levers w/7sp rear?

RobJ
03-21-2017, 10:19 AM
As a follow up to my other post asking about the max cluster on a 126mm spaced frame, now that 7sp freewheel appears to be the max, I want to figure out the front-end.

I'm trying to keep the build somewhat period, but also don't want this to be a garage queen, so would prefer to have integrated brakes/shifters versus downtube. I've read cases of Campy 8sp levers working with a 7 speed rear if using a Shimano HG freewheel and chain. Can anyone back that up? If so any Campy 8sp, non-indexed RD work? Is there an all Campy solution that works? My experience with Campy started at 10sp so any help is appreciated.

ColonelJLloyd
03-21-2017, 10:31 AM
I've read cases of Campy 8sp levers working with a 7 speed rear if using a Shimano HG freewheel and chain. Can anyone back that up? If so any Campy 8sp, non-indexed RD work? Is there an all Campy solution that works? My experience with Campy started at 10sp so any help is appreciated.

I've used 8s Ergos with 8s Campy RD and 7s HG freewheel. Flawless.

DfCas
03-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Around 1993 or so campy made ergolevers for Sachs that were 8 speed but shifted a 7 speed shimano rear der and cassette/freewheel perfectly. If you can find the Sachs that's the way to go.

Ralph
03-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Campy 8 speed cassette is 5 MM center to center on the cogs. Same as 7 speed Shimano HG freewheels. Works fine. I assume the HG DNP same. Use 8 speed chain. Have used this exact same combo before.

Some other same era 7 speed freewheels were 5 mm center to center also. But not all. Suntour not same center to center on cogs.

Believe IRD sells the highest quality one currently made. Sachs was a very high quality freewheel made back when.....they were 5 MM center to center on most of the later 7 speeds. Some were 4.8 though. But if you can find a like new Sachs....they were great. I used one for a while with 8 speed Record Ergo's. Believe Sunrace is 5 MM center to center.

jc031699
03-21-2017, 05:57 PM
8sp Shimano STI shifters will work just fine with 7sp Shimano rear spacing as well. You can find those all over the place, and quite durable compared to 9sp and later.

choke
03-22-2017, 12:22 AM
I ran 8sp Ergos with 7sp Sachs Aris freewheels for years....they shifted perfectly.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2017, 03:55 AM
As a follow up to my other post asking about the max cluster on a 126mm spaced frame, now that 7sp freewheel appears to be the max, I want to figure out the front-end.

I'm trying to keep the build somewhat period, but also don't want this to be a garage queen, so would prefer to have integrated brakes/shifters versus downtube. I've read cases of Campy 8sp levers working with a 7 speed rear if using a Shimano HG freewheel and chain. Can anyone back that up? If so any Campy 8sp, non-indexed RD work? Is there an all Campy solution that works? My experience with Campy started at 10sp so any help is appreciated.

Same 5mm ctr cog to ctr cog spacing..should work great. BUT need an indexing Campag rear der, like 1993+ rear der. NO non index Campag rear der will work, really.