PDA

View Full Version : The more I go......

merckx
03-21-2017, 09:54 AM
the more I don't want to stop.

belopsky's Grand Bois/Toei in the image gallery is in a class of machines that I have learned to embrace. Outside of spending time with family and friends, there is nothing more that I value than leveraging my body forward on a bicycle. Some machines seem better suited to this endeavor. The effort and the duration are the imperatives. There is no value in waiting for the perfect moment to ride. A moment pondering the elements is a moment lost to gaining an experience. Just sit and pedal the damn machine, and allow the experience to be inhaled through the pours.

RobJ
03-21-2017, 09:58 AM
the more I don't want to stop.

belopsky's Grand Bois/Toei in the image gallery is in a class of machines that I have learned to embrace. Outside of spending time with family and friends, there is nothing more that I value than leveraging my body forward on a bicycle. Some machines seem better suited to this endeavor. The effort and the duration are the imperatives. There is no value in waiting for the perfect moment to ride. A moment pondering the elements is a moment lost to gaining an experience. Just sit and pedal the damn machine, and allow the experience to be inhaled through the pours.

Well said and very motivational :beer:

I never had a penchant for bikes such as these, always preferring a sleek thoroughbred, but after hanging around here and experiencing different ideals and interests, these beautiful machines do grow on you.

Mzilliox
03-21-2017, 10:02 AM
My cycling has evolved some over the years, but bikes like these will always hold a place in my heart (and stable). heres my baby
https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1577/26675514436_00a8599384_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GDdZ5G)Berty loves flowers (https://flic.kr/p/GDdZ5G) by Matt.zilliox (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41573599@N06/), on Flickr

merckx
03-21-2017, 10:07 AM
I began competitive cycling in the 70's as a little nipper, and continued into the early 2000's. I did a ****-ton of racing. Everything was on the rivet. Everything had to be perfect. Everything had to be aerolightfastefficient. Somewhere along that footpath I lost my way. In the end I pondered, what really matters? Simply moving is what called back. Just moving. I love to suffer. But a finish line is not exclusive to that pursuit.

A few Singers that will get the job done.

bob heinatz
03-21-2017, 10:49 AM
I love these bikes.

JAGI410
03-21-2017, 10:56 AM
I love these bikes.

Me too!

merckx
03-21-2017, 11:06 AM
One from the Dean.

Clean39T
03-21-2017, 11:06 AM
So, what makes a bike fall well into this category? I've gravitated to the race-geometry side of things too, but have wondered what it would be like to ride something that still rolled efficiently while being happy in rough chipseal for 200Km. The Zanc Sportif caught my eye for that reason, I'm just not educated enough to know what I'd really be looking for if I went down that road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonification
03-21-2017, 11:07 AM
so freaking classy

merckx
03-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Actually, Dazza and Peter occupy the same pinnacle.

merckx
03-21-2017, 11:17 AM
So, what makes a bike fall well into this category? I've gravitated to the race-geometry side of things too, but have wondered what it would be like to ride something that still rolled efficiently while being happy in rough chipseal for 200Km. The Zanc Sportif caught my eye for that reason, I'm just not educated enough to know what I'd really be looking for if I went down that road.

Fair question. First, the weather conditions should not hold you back from riding unless they are dangerous. Fenders, or what Papa called mudguards, facilitate a ride in comfort when the gods are unleashing corruption. A frame that can accommodate larger volume tires will mitigate the road chatter that can otherwise eat away at your liver after a long day on the machine. A little more upright perch will help to alleviate a sore neck and shoulders. I also prefer more setback because it takes pressure off the bars which is also good for the hands, neck and shoulders. This was the single most valuable fit change I've made over the years, including when I was racing. I also like a little wider saddle like the C17 and Team Pro. These work well with the weight a little further behind the BB. It is also nice to have the capacity to carry some essentials like extra clothing, food, etc. for long duration cycling. As I wrote in belopsky's Grand Bois thread, when I see a machine that I can climb aboard for hours on end in absolute comfort I say, Ahhhhhh.....

Clean39T
03-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Fair question. First, the weather conditions should not hold you back from riding unless they are dangerous. Fenders, or what Papa called mudguards, facilitate a ride in comfort when the gods are unleashing corruption. A frame that can accommodate larger volume tires will mitigate the road chatter that can otherwise eat away at your liver after a long day on the machine. A little more upright perch will help to alleviate a sore neck and shoulders. I also prefer more setback because it takes pressure off the bars which is also good for the hands, neck and shoulders. This was the single most valuable fit change I've made over the years, including when I was racing. I also like a little wider saddle like the C17 and Team Pro. These work well with the weight a little further behind the BB. It is also nice to have the capacity to carry some essentials like extra clothing, food, etc. for long duration cycling. As I wrote in belopsky's Grand Bois thread, when I see a machine that I can climb aboard for hours on end in absolute comfort I say, Ahhhhhh.....

What about things like HT/ST angles, chainstay length, trail, and bb drop?

Essentially, where's the dividing line between a touring/cross/gravel/rando etc. setup? Something tells me that question is throwing chum in the water, but I'll ask it anyway [emoji52]

Bentley
03-22-2017, 03:56 AM
I genuinely see the value of these kinds of bikes but I do not own one. I am wondering if there is a compromise, a gravel/tourer. Something with fat tires, cantilever brakes and a basket on the back to haul a little gear. Not sure I can do the fenders and baskets on the front. I like the idea of a "hybrid"

Ray

SlowPokePete
03-22-2017, 05:00 AM
I have also developed a love for this type of bike.

Not sure if my Ahearne fits this category, but I think it kind of does...

That said, I would not feel like I was duplicating what I already have if some of the above type bikes one day made it into my possession.

The bikes Dazza makes are incredible.

SPP

oldpotatoe
03-22-2017, 05:07 AM
I genuinely see the value of these kinds of bikes but I do not own one. I am wondering if there is a compromise, a gravel/tourer. Something with fat tires, cantilever brakes and a basket on the back to haul a little gear. Not sure I can do the fenders and baskets on the front. I like the idea of a "hybrid"

Ray

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/crosshairs

merckx
03-22-2017, 07:39 AM
One of my favorite Singers.