PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: shipping wine

gasman
08-11-2006, 07:56 PM
OK- so I took Flyhests' bet that Levi wouldn't place in the top 10 in the Tour-and I lost. Just like Levi.
So I bought a nice bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir to ship to his backward burg of Washington D.C. but ran into a problem. Neither the USPS,nor UPS, nor Fed Ex will ship wine unless you are a retailer. I went to a couple of winery websites and none of them will ship to D.C.- there are only a few progressive states (like Oregon) that allow wine to be shipped across their state lines.
So what do I do to pay off my debt ?

1.Send money----too low class but I may have no other choice.

2. Lie- don't tell the shippers that I'm sending wine ? I find it easier to live life if you always tell the truth, besides it's only right.

3. Find a fly-by-night Internet store that will ship anywhere ?

What options am I missing ?

Thanks for all your intelligent replies.

catulle
08-11-2006, 08:06 PM
You could also call a wine store near his house and ask if they deliver. You can find the wine store in the Internet by way of the Yellow-Pages.

That is:

-Check the Yellow-Pages in his area. For example: Google Yellow-Pages of Alexandria, Va.
-Once you have a list of wine or liquor stores in his area, start calling.
-I'm sure if you explain your predicament, someone at one of the stores would help you.
-Paying with a credit card shouldn't be a problem.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I've done similar things having firearms repaired or worked-on and never had a problem.

znfdl
08-11-2006, 09:06 PM
I have over a 100 bottles of boutique Pinot Noirs in my cellar. I can sell you a bottle and then meet Fly if you would like. We work about 5 block from each other.

Birddog
08-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Tell 'em it's a glass vessel. Double box it. That is, place the bottle with some packing in a box, then place that box in another slightly larger all around box with more packing. It should arrive safe and sound.

Birddog

Cary Ford
08-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Lie.

djg
08-11-2006, 11:26 PM
I have over a 100 bottles of boutique Pinot Noirs in my cellar. I can sell you a bottle and then meet Fly if you would like. We work about 5 block from each other.

This offer seems tough to beat.

If you want a local shop instead, here's one:

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/calvertwoodley

gasman
08-11-2006, 11:47 PM
znfdl-

Thanks so much-that is a great idea and you know your wines well.

PM sent

Thanks for all the other ideas and links.

Sorry, I can't lie, I'm really bad at it.

Sandy
08-12-2006, 12:26 AM

I know of 98 dogs and cats at my local shelter who are very thirsty. I will be sending them over for 98 bottles. Crunch Crunch, my Pit Bull, will negotiate the pricing with you. We will leave one for gasman and one for you. :)

Sandy

Kevan
08-12-2006, 06:33 AM
I know of 98 dogs and cats at my local shelter who are very thirsty. I will be sending them over for 98 bottles. Crunch Crunch, my Pit Bull, will negotiate the pricing with you. We will leave one for gasman and one for you. :) Sandy

whine.

Dekonick
08-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Just buy the wine - pack it as suggested. Take it to a mail boxes etc... type store and ship it. No questions asked - voila.

Maryland has some stupid antiquated alcohol laws. There is a Belgian resteraunt here called the manequin pis and they have a hard time getting Belgian beers. It is the same with wine... I would kill to get on Ridge's wine mail list - my sister can as she is in Colorado, but as a Marylander I can't.

Sucks no?

gasman
08-12-2006, 09:19 PM
It's all settled. Znfndl kindly offered to pull a bottle from his collection to send to Flyhest-they work about 5 blocks from each other. Is this a great group of people or what ? Thanks Znfndl.
No thanks to Levi for doing poorly.

I am sending him a check for the wine and Kevan sent me a PM asking him to send $1,000 for shipping and handling otherwise he would post pictures of Sandy in my mailbox every day.

I'm sending the money

znfdl
08-12-2006, 09:22 PM
It's all settled. Znfndl kindly offered to pull a bottle from his collection to send to Flyhest-they work about 5 blocks from each other. Is this a great group of people or what ? Thanks Znfndl.
No thanks to Levi for doing poorly.

I am sending him a check for the wine and Kevan sent me a PM asking him to send $1,000 for shipping and handling otherwise he would post pictures of Sandy in my mailbox every day.
I'm sending the money

Gasman:

A pleasure to help you out.

Sandy:

I can not beleive that you would want me to inebriate some poor unsuspecting pooches with some fermented grape juice. I am going to report you to the MD SPCA ;)

keno
08-14-2006, 08:20 AM
asked me to post that he will be online tonight, Monday, August 14.

keno

flydhest
08-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm alive. I've e-mailed with znfdl and we're going to meet up soon. I have to say this is a great group o' folk.

JonnyComeLately
08-16-2006, 11:12 AM
If the subject comes up again, another possible solution is to investigate whether your friend at the destination has a friend (or an office or some other connection) across the line in Virginia. I live in the DC area and had a case of wine shipped via FedEx to my office in VA a couple years ago. I seem to recall the shipping was pretty pricey, but it got there without any trouble.

Grant McLean
08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I would kill to get on Ridge's wine mail list -
Sucks no?

Sucks, yes! MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm Ridge....

http://i.xanga.com/LiL_kisSes/homer-drool.gif

g