PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on Trek Domane

dbnm
03-19-2017, 01:42 PM
I am thinking about buying a Trek Domane as I now need a more upright bike and endurance fit, instead of the Moots Vamoots RSL I have.

Any thoughts on the bike and the ride quality?

Johnny P
03-19-2017, 02:09 PM
I have one. Bought it in 2012. I think it's a great bike.

charliedid
03-19-2017, 02:13 PM
I don't own one but used to sell them and think they ride very nice.

As always I suggest a test ride or 2.

Clean39T
03-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Seems like you could get custom Steel or Ti (especially if used) for similar outlay and have a bike that's more durable, more unique, and more timeless than the Domane. Why not just a different Moots frame? And have you ridden the different geometry? You may find it isn't what you think it is and save yourself a bundle. See if a shop rents something similar and spend a weekend on it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

false_Aest
03-19-2017, 03:22 PM
The Domane is a effin awesome whip.

Not as unique as a Moots or something custom but that only matters if it matters.

If I could ride more than one bike at a time, I'd buy one.

rnhood
03-19-2017, 03:53 PM
I highly recommend the Domane. It rides excellent, it performs excellent, and it's suitably lightweight. You can ride the fast group rides with it, and you can credit card tour with it. It has fender mounts and plenty of tire clearance for road activities.

Gummee
03-19-2017, 05:19 PM
I don't own a Domane, but I DO own a Boone. One of the best riding bikes I've had in 30 years of riding.

...and the new SLR ride even better

M

garysol1
03-19-2017, 06:14 PM
I ride a Domane SLR and have to say it is one of the best all around bikes I have ever owned or ridden. It rides VERY nice but is plenty stiff to get up and go when the need arises.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/garysol1/fullsizeoutput_e18_zpskwdfeamu.jpeg

Hilltopperny
03-19-2017, 06:49 PM
I rented an aluminum model with 105 and was very impressed with the ride quality. Great riding bike with excellent power transfer. Certainly worth having a look at.

gregblow
03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
I just got an SLR. I have about 4 rides on it. I also own a Tarmac S works. Its a great bike. You wont regret getting one.

dbnm
03-19-2017, 07:43 PM
I am contemplating some options like talking with Moots or even Mosaic about a custom bike.

Not quite sure yet as I love the RSL and would love to keep it.

mistermo
03-20-2017, 07:07 AM
I did a brief test ride on a Domane SLR this weekend and was quite favorably impressed. If I were genuinely looking for a one-bike-to-do-it-all, the Domane would likely be it. A disc model even permits 32c tires for cross!

ltwtsculler91
03-20-2017, 07:17 AM
I don't own a Domane, but I DO own a Boone.

M

I'm in the same boat, own a Boone and it is an incredible ride, the rear isospeed really works at smoothing out the ride without compromising how the bike feels. Same level carbon as the SLR but built for cross.

I spent a week in Mallorca riding the new Domane SL7 and was pleasantly surprised on how it grew on me throughout the week. While the fit doesn't work super well for me, it was definitely a fun bike to ride and if it fits well you won't regret buying one.

Clancy
03-20-2017, 07:28 AM
I owned a Domane for about a half a year. It rode extremely well. However, and this may very well be your case so I urge you to be cautious, it did not match the ride of the Eriksen that I also had at the time. One of the country roads I ride regularly had just been re-chipped sealed, so rough as can be. So as a test I rode it on the Domane, than the following day on the Eriksen. I was surprised that the Eriksen muted the vibrations better. The Domane takes the "hit" out of the bigger shocks better but didn't dampen the constant vibrations near as well. It also had the same somewhat wooden feel of carbon.

I put the Domane up for sale the next day.

To be far, I had owned a couple of Ti bikes before and I am very partial to Ti, believing, for me, that it's the best riding material for a road frame.

I feel that if someone is use to a hi quality Ti bike, the way it rides and dampens, they may be disappointed how a carbon bike rides. If one is looking for a super light frame, or particular qualities like a stiff BB, than carbon is the go to. But if one is looking for smoothness and compliance, Ti ( from a high quality builder)is pretty hard to beat.

garysol1
03-20-2017, 07:39 AM
I owned a Domane for about a half a year. It rode extremely well. However, and this may very well be your case so I urge you to be cautious, it did not match the ride of the Eriksen

I would be interested to hear the tire choice, tire size and tire pressure differences between the two bikes. To be fair I have never had a Ti bike but have owned many steel and carbon bikes and I honestly believe that my tire choices made a bigger difference to ride quality than frame material.

benb
03-20-2017, 07:43 AM
What is unique? Most of the custom bikes are very much the same in terms of frame design, if you don't need custom what are they offering you?

There isn't really anything else like the Domane, it is actually a unique bike.

If unique means less units produced that's a different thing, for me it often means how the bike rides and is designed.

I love the way mine rides. I'm not sure I'd like the SLR as much, but I haven't rode one. Compared to anything else I've rode the Domane is one of the only bikes that can really deliver on that oh so ridiculous marketing adage of "lateral stiffness and vertical compliance."

97CSI
07-17-2017, 07:06 AM
As an 'old guy' (70 this year) who has found nothing rides like lugged steel, am starting to suffer from 'bad hands' and am wondering if I should think about the Domane SL (don't need the SLR's added $$). The SL6 is attractively priced, as is the SL5. But, am wondering if it is worth the even less $$ S6 that only has the rear IsoSpeed? Since I'm looking for max comfort for my hands, am thinking the extra expense of the SL's front IsoSpeed might well be worth it.

Anyone got a longer-term SL or SLR ride report they would care to share?
Thanks.

garysol1
07-17-2017, 07:11 AM
As an 'old guy' (70 this year) <snip>

Anyone got a longer-term SL or SLR ride report they would care to share?
Thanks.

I have a couple thousand miles on my SLR now and I really do love the bike but for front end compliance in a modern bike I do believe the new Roubaix is hard to beat. The Domane does a fine job of isolating the big hits from getting to your hands it is no where near as plush as the Roubaix. FWIW..... I work at a Trek/Specialized dealer.....

97CSI
07-17-2017, 07:47 AM
Thanks. Not so sure about the Roubaix. I like the fact that Trek uses a complete Shimano groupset while Specialized is pretty much a mix-master group. Think my biggest decision is between the SL6 & SL5. Easy enough to up-grade components as they wear out on SL5 (likely years). A bigger deal is the wheelset. That said, I have a pair of Sirocco wheels I could use if I can find a Shimano 11-spd carrier to replace the 10-spd that is currently on the rear.

eddief
07-17-2017, 08:40 AM
as mentioned in a previous thread, I did not want internal cables and wanted normal seatpost. That said, I run Velocity A23 rims with 28 mm Conti 4000 S II tires inflated to 75 rear, 65 front.

I run the same wheels and the same tires and the same psi on my Carver Ti. The Carver still does a better job of smoothing out the road and is still a lovely bike to ride. But the Domane weighs 2 pounds less than the Carver and I do believe the big fat Trek bottom bracket makes for a more responsive accelerator and better climber. The ISO thingy in the seat tube does seem to be effective on certain road imperfections. The Domane the rocket, the Carver the luxo.

benb
07-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Wow old thread.

One thing I would mention with the Domane.. it might be less of a big deal on the new SLRs if you tighten up the seat flex but on mine I kind of feel like you need to tilt the saddle down in the front a little bit more than usual. When you sit on it the saddle rotates backwards and can effectively push the nose up, rotating your hips back. This is probably less of a big deal on the lower end Domanes too, as my understand from talking to the shop was the 5 and 6 series Domanes always had more compliance in the seat mast than the lower end ones that have seatposts.

This has been a little bit of a challenge for me.. set the saddle at the same angle I do on a bike with a regular seat seatpost and I get a subtle thing where it tires my back out because I'm not rotating my hips forward enough and I end up bending my back instead.

97CSI
07-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Only looking at the SL as I don't feel the need for the adjustable seat IsoSpeed of the SLR or the 600 carbon fiber as opposed to the 500 of the SL. Thanks.

dekindy
07-17-2017, 06:31 PM
If my Serotta Legend was broken beyond repair and based upon the reviews Trek Domane would be a bicycle I would consider seriously. But to replace a Moots titanium, I would not even remotely consider it. I found a used Waterford as a backup bike but only ride it when the Serotta Legend is in for maintenance. I feel sorry for those on rough riding carbon bikes.

97CSI
07-17-2017, 06:46 PM
I have had a full Ti Dean and a Serotta Ottrott and found both to be very harsh riding compared to lugged steel. My primary interest is relieving the suffering my hands are starting to go thru.

eddief
07-17-2017, 06:53 PM
move to disc brakes in order to fit the fattest, softest tires possible. And buy whichever bike has the best front end gizmo to lessen harsh road conditions, and gel under your bar tape. If that doesn't work, maybe time to get most of the weight off your hands by going super high bars or flat bars.

Not suggesting a Riv, but this thing looks comfy to me. Maybe the style is right for you.

I'm 66 and my hands are starting to not enjoy the ride as much as they used to.

I have had a full Ti Dean and a Serotta Ottrott and found both to be very harsh riding compared to lugged steel. My primary interest is relieving the suffering my hands are starting to go thru.

97CSI
07-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Good thinking on the disc brakes. Was wondering if they were worth the additional $$, but now think they likely are. Am not a weight-wienie and don't mind being the last one to the top of the hill (though I've gone over Trail Ridge Road a number of times as well as up Mt. Evans). Think I would spring for the SL6 as some of the reviews I read on the 105 STI shifters state that the disc brake mods for that group make the shifters uncomfortable. As my main impetus in all this is to preserve my hands, getting a compromised shifter would be self-defeating.

p nut
07-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Good thinking on the disc brakes. Was wondering if they were worth the additional $$, but now think they likely are. Am not a weight-wienie and don't mind being the last one to the top of the hill (though I've gone over Trail Ridge Road a number of times as well as up Mt. Evans). Think I would spring for the SL6 as some of the reviews I read on the 105 STI shifters state that the disc brake mods for that group make the shifters uncomfortable. As my main impetus in all this is to preserve my hands, getting a compromised shifter would be self-defeating.

Coincidentally, I test rode a Roubaix yesterday, just to see what this Future Shock was about. I didn't care for the funky shaped bars, stack height, and couple other things, but the ride was PLUSH. If you're wanting max hand comfort, I don't know if it would get better than that. I also saw a model with Etap, which may also help with your hand condition.

I would at least demo one to see if it's to your liking.

rnhood
07-18-2017, 02:05 PM
I also like the Roubaix for comfort. And, it does not have the swaying seat post that the Domane has, although it can be pretty much defeated on the Domane with the adjustment provided. Both good bikes though.

jl123
07-19-2017, 06:36 PM
I think that ti builders need to go back to the Serotta DKS mode of rear suspension- agree that Domane seatpost is not an optimal solution for all road conditions. I think this can be done if a builder puts the R&D in.

eddief
07-19-2017, 06:43 PM
and would never say the Domane iso thing makes my seatpost sway in any way. It just absorbs some bumps. Kinda like the zertz things.

rnhood
07-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Well, "sway" may not be the best term. The seatpost actually deflects to the rear, so maybe deflect is the proper term. The Roubaix on the other hand, while having a small component of rearward deflection, has a greater component of vertical deflection (like a true shock absorber).

Both do a good job, although some may like one method better than the other.

benb
07-20-2017, 09:52 AM
IME my Domane's seatpost does not move as I pedal if my fit is correct. If the fit is off and your pedal stroke is compromised, it will bob.

But it definitely does "sag" like a shock when you put your weight on it. That is what I was referring to in my previous comment. I basically have to take that into account when setting the bike up just like I do on my MTB.

The front end on these bikes is really excellent but it's not going to do anything for your hands unless your fit is right. Your hands hurting IME has less to do with tires and bumps in the road.. your hands will hurt on a super smooth road with 4" fat bike tires if the fit is wrong and you are having to hold your upper body up with your hands.

Other than the slight annoyance with having to compensate the fit for the moving seat mast this bike is my favorite I've had. I never had a Legend ST but I had a Concours and the Domane rides better than that. I test rode a Seven Axiom SL last year for 50+ miles as well and the Domane is better than that too IMO. More comfortable and more responsive.

The ISO speed decoupler's crowning achievement is on washboard and/or pavement that has been scarified in preparation for repaving. It just about completely erases the vibration of that scarified pavement. Unreal.

TimD
07-20-2017, 09:57 AM
The ISO speed decoupler's crowning achievement is on washboard and/or pavement that has been scarified in preparation for repaving. It just about completely erases the vibration of that scarified pavement. Unreal.

Sounds a bit like my (now gone) Ottrott ST. After not riding it for a while I would get on and immediately think the rear tire was either under-inflated or going down.

I'm quite happy with the ride of my Emonda SL and have been looking to try a Domane.

97CSI
07-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Same thinking on the Ottrott I had. Was hoping it would be more compliant/comfortable and it turned out to be stiffer. Wonderful for climbing/descending & handling, but not for all day comfortable. I foresee a Domane in my future.

benb
07-20-2017, 10:56 AM
I run pretty low tire pressures on 26s. Something in the range of 85-90 in the rear and 65-70 in the front, but the Domane does kind of make it feel like the rear tire is low... not in a way that makes you less confident.

It is an amazing descending bike due to the low BB and other geometry. Feels like it's on rails.