PDA

View Full Version : Cycling historians - question re: British rider (team Condor) from '60's

54ny77
03-19-2017, 12:31 PM
On a recent vacation I had unique opportunity to meet and chat briefly with a gentleman who was a British pro back in the 1960's. Totally random moment, we were just chatting at the coffee machine at hotel, and somehow we started talking sports and he mentioned just a snippet about how he rides his bike for fun & fitness. Turns out he raced for Condor back in the day, in pro races throughout. Name was Johnny Moore (no idea if I spelled that correctly, however).

He recounted a very special story about how, as an up & coming local hotshot, the founders of Condor (who he knew, since it was his hometown) made a custom frame especially for him, with his name on it. He was blown away, so appreciative.

And he kept it and rides it to this very day, about 50 or so years later.

Such a pleasant guy and it was truly an honor to chat with him.

I tried searching the name and races like Tour of Britain (which he spoke about briefly) but came up blank. If anyone has any history or info to share (pics, etc) that would be much appreciated. :beer:

Doug Fattic
03-19-2017, 01:15 PM
This seems like a question for the Classic Rendezvous list. There are a bunch of British subscribers to that list that might remember your guy. Condor Cycles is in central London on Grays Inn Rd. And the Tour of Britain was known as the Milk Race back then.

William
03-19-2017, 01:16 PM
On a recent vacation I had unique opportunity to meet and chat briefly with a gentleman who was a British pro back in the 1960's. Totally random moment, we were just chatting at the coffee machine at hotel, and somehow we started talking sports and he mentioned just a snippet about how he rides his bike for fun & fitness. Turns out he raced for Condor back in the day, in pro races throughout. Name was Johnny Moore (no idea if I spelled that correctly, however).

He recounted a very special story about how, as an up & coming local hotshot, the founders of Condor (who he knew, since it was his hometown) made a custom frame especially for him, with his name on it. He was blown away, so appreciative.

And he kept it and rides it to this very day, about 50 or so years later.

Such a pleasant guy and it was truly an honor to chat with him.

I tried searching the name and races like Tour of Britain (which he spoke about briefly) but came up blank. If anyone has any history or info to share (pics, etc) that would be much appreciated. :beer:

I come up with the Condor - Mackeson teams from the 60's but I don't see that name. Doesn't mean he wasn't on the team, just not a lot of info out there apparently.

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/ploegfiche.php?id=4302

William

William
03-19-2017, 01:20 PM
BTW, Condor is still around...

https://www.condorcycles.com

Custom options and all.

William

54ny77
03-19-2017, 02:00 PM
thanks. :beer: