PDA

View Full Version : Rx glasses recommenations

kgreene10
03-19-2017, 11:14 AM
I've been riding with precription Oakley Flak Jackets for years. The major downside is that they slip enough on my nose (no matter which of the supplied pads I use) that I end up craning my neck when I get low. The alternative is to look over the top of them, but then I can't see very well. The slippage is pretty small, but enough to make this happen all the time.

Any suggestions?

I tried contacts and couldn't stand them. I tried Croakies and couldn't get them on the glasses arms (plus I would have to wear the glasses under the helmet straps). Is there a rimless pair of glasses or other style that sits higher on the face and will take a prescription with a -3.5 index and lots of astigmatism?

Thanks for the coming advice.

Bruce K
03-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Rudy Project Rydons have worked for me for years.

BK

spartanKid
03-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Rudy Project Rydons have worked for me for years.

BK

Most Rudy Project sunglasses will take Rx inserts.

giordana93
03-19-2017, 11:52 AM
can't name a particular model but I would focus on the temples. proper length and fit or even something like the old wrap around the ear style (which my old Bollé pair had as an interchangeable option) would help. can you switch to a shorter temple on the oakleys? might want to ask the place who fit them in the first place and see if they can help

Seramount
03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
my Rudy Rydon II (for narrow faces) sunglasses have been great...

bought the frames on ebay at a discount and took them to an optical shop for Rx lenses (progressive bifocals/polarized).

never had any issues with slippage and like the look.

bikingshearer
03-19-2017, 12:21 PM
I am still using an old pair of Bolle Paroles with an Rx insert. They work well and I have zero interest in having to find anything else. My prescription is not as hefty as yours (I have relatively slight nearsightedness and a slight astigmatism) so I do not know if the inserts will handle your prescription. Interchangeable lenses, good grippy ear pieces,m but no wrap-around option. If you have long eyelashes, they will brush up against the insert, which takes a small amount of getting used to - not a big deal, but it's there.

Bolle is no longer making them, at least not marketed to cyclists, but in the recent past they have been available on eBay. You may have to be patient to get everything you want (frames, lenses, and insert are often sold separately on the 'Bay), but as of a year or so ago they were all there. Also, do not limit yourself to searching in cycling-related eyewear.

parris
03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
I've got FlakJacket's in RX as well. I stumbled onto the Asian fit model as part of a sale and due to the slight differences have found those to be a much better fit for me when on the bike. The brow bar no longer sits too low and the slightly different profile just sits better with no slippage. If you like the Oakley lenses it may be something to explore.

I also have a pair of Smith Optics Approach in RX. Those fit quite well. The brow sits higher than the Oakleys, the lens shape splits the difference size wise compared to the regular and xlj lens shape, and the temples are not as bulky. The last part is very helpful when I'm wearing them under hearing protectors.

I hope this helps.

2LeftCleats
03-19-2017, 04:36 PM
I just got a pair of Rudy Project Noyz which accommodate an insert and grip my head well. After a recent retinal detachment surgery I ended up with reasonably good vision but require prisms to correct some double vision and astigmatism. Couldn't fit an insert into my Oakleys, but several RP models allow a clip on insert. Decided to send off for some clear lenses for night driving.