PDA

View Full Version : Used Bike/Frame Value or New Bike/Frame Warranty?

RoadWhale
03-17-2017, 03:20 PM
In the process of looking for a bike or frame to purchase. I've noticed both here and on eBay some amazing values on used bikes and frames. I'm looking for advice on whether to go for the value of used or have the peace of mind of a new bike warranty. My main interest is in a titanium bike or frame but my question would also apply to carbon and steel as well. Thank you.

dustyrider
03-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Really depends on the bike you actually end up deciding on and who is selling it. Look around here and put up a wtb thread once you hit 30 posts.

Good folks here means good bikes!

What size you looking for?

batman1425
03-17-2017, 03:33 PM
FWIW I don't see that many people pursue frame warranty claims relative to the number of bikes out there. With how well the folks around here look after their stuff, I don't think you can beat the value. There are some killer deals to be had on these pages.

Matthew
03-17-2017, 03:35 PM
I used to always look for new bikes but after hanging around here for years I have no problem buying from the good folks here. Lots of great deals and if you are looking for titanium there are often great bikes at great prices here in the classifieds. Like mentioned above, throw out a WTB ad and see what is offered. You may just find that bike you've been looking for! Good luck.

RoadWhale
03-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Really depends on the bike you actually end up deciding on and who is selling it. Look around here and put up a wtb thread once you hit 30 posts.

Good folks here means good bikes!

What size you looking for?

I'm looking for a frame or bike with a 60cm top tube. I'm 193cm tall but long torso. I should also mention that my weight is currently 280lbs with a target of 220lb.

RoadWhale
03-17-2017, 03:45 PM
FWIW I don't see that many people pursue frame warranty claims relative to the number of bikes out there. With how well the folks around here look after their stuff, I don't think you can beat the value. There are some killer deals to be had on these pages.

My thinking with purchasing used is that I would have the extra money to invest in some custom wheels that can support my weight. Since this might be my only bike for a long while that is why I thought purchasing new with a warranty might be worth looking at. But I must admit, the high quality used bikes here on The Paceline are always tempting.

ultraman6970
03-17-2017, 03:46 PM
This dude is not what i could call light and at least in titanium I would look for the warranty.

shovelhd
03-17-2017, 03:48 PM
I'm one of those who has made a frame warranty claim and gotten something. They did not replace the frame, but gave me a pro deal on a new upgraded frame. I'm still riding that one.

I'd caution you against buying your 220 pound bike at 280 pounds. It's not about the weight or the sturdiness of the bike, it's that I feel your chance of success goes way up if there is a carrot at the end. Get a good used serviceable bike with decent wheels and save the rest. Work off the weight, save some more, and when you have reached your goal, buy yourself a new or nicer replacement.

Hilltopperny
03-17-2017, 03:51 PM
Almost all of the current bikes I ride I've aquired here or from a psa on this forum. All were solid transactions at a great value. I'd be looking for a well built frame at 280lbs. I'm around 210, but quite a bit shorter and ride 54-55cm frames. You may want to get up to 30 posts and put a wtb thread up with exactly what you're looking for and go from there.

RoadWhale
03-17-2017, 03:53 PM
This dude is not what i could call light and at least in titanium I would look for the warranty.

My thought on purchasing a new titanium bike was, beyond the warranty, I could have a frame created that fits my slightly odd body type of average legs and long torso. I read much more than I post and have been researching here on the Forum the shops that build custom titanium frames. I should also add that my reason for wanting titanium is purely aesthetic. I love the visual warmth of sculpted metal.

RoadWhale
03-17-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm one of those who has made a frame warranty claim and gotten something. They did not replace the frame, but gave me a pro deal on a new upgraded frame. I'm still riding that one.

I'd caution you against buying your 220 pound bike at 280 pounds. It's not about the weight or the sturdiness of the bike, it's that I feel your chance of success goes way up if there is a carrot at the end. Get a good used serviceable bike with decent wheels and save the rest. Work off the weight, save some more, and when you have reached your goal, buy yourself a new or nicer replacement.

This makes a lot of sense in many ways. At my current weight I could purchase a utility bike to use to drop my weight. In the meantime, save for the custom reward bike when I hit 220.
Through reading the forum my understanding is that even at 220lbs I would still need very stout wheels anyway. So that investment would possibly carry over to the next bike.

buddybikes
03-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Comes down to $$$, do you want a custom domestic (UK, EU frame) or is Asian ok. There are some semi-custom Asian ti frames that go through US designer. If you have the cash, your choice is limitless. Sure they would design a large tube, probably straight gauge frame. Good builders here have built for some very big people (pro basketball players) so that shouldn't be an issue.

going used, I would stick around here or across the hall (velocipede salon) rather than fleabay. I have bought 2 bikes from here, and both were in impecible condition, beyond my expection.

Before you do anything, know you size and geometry needs. Certainly disk brakes would be more suitable, but harder to find in a (former) custom road bike

Clean39T
03-17-2017, 04:14 PM
I wish my Lynskey R460 I have for sale was big enough for you - it's about the most stout Ti frame one can get. I'm 192cm, but I like long/low with a long stem, so the Large is good for me. I'm guessing you'd want the XL. I did see there's one available on eBay right now though in that XL size. I'd recommend going with the Praxis BB30 conversion if you don't get a standard BB; whether you're 220 or 280 you'll be stressing the BB and inducing creaking most likely.

I don't see anything wrong with you getting something nice to start. Losing that weight is going to be a huge improvement in your quality of life, and the money spent on a bike that motivates you to diet and exercise the way you need to for reaching your goals is money not spent on healthcare down the road.

And even at your current weight, there are definitely bikes that work and are motivatingly awesome to own. Anything in the adventure / gravel / bike-packing realm should work; but target something that is designed to handle loaded touring. Some 36H wheels, disc brakes, and oversized bars should put you in a fine place. There's no limit - you could go full custom Ti with a Ti fork, or steel w. steel, etc. - you'll just want to choose parts meant for sprinters, like the Deda M35 setup and Zero100 post, not anything carbon and light.

Cheers and welcome to the greatest sport on earth.

If you're interested in hearing how I went from 220lbs to 172lbs in about 9 months, PM me.

cmg
03-17-2017, 04:21 PM
carbon frame, i could understand the concern about a warranty. used ti, steel, alloy, lots of luck on getting anything honored. buy what you like and don't worry about a warranty, no one is going to honored it, cobble rides together, make stuff work.

JWDR
03-17-2017, 04:45 PM
At 280 does it really matter what bike you are riding? The bike will be less than 10% of your combined weight while riding so why not find something that fits you size wise and fits your current budget?

An expensive bike won't help you drop weight any faster, it just costs more and by the time you can appreciate your light frame you will just want something lighter/faster/cooler.

sonicCows
03-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Buy a new bike with a solid warranty. Make sure they don't specify weight limits. Trek is pretty good, Salsa too. If you break any parts, just get them swapped, you'll be covered nicely.

Lots of parts break when you're heavy. The frame gets more stress obviously (so more prone to cracking), but even hubs (flanges) and cassettes (spiders) can break and if they're purchased new, you will quickly make friends with the LBS with warranty visits.

rnhood
03-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Agree with above, buy a new bike with warranty. Its not worth the risk to buy used, unless perhaps you know the seller well.

RoadWhale
03-17-2017, 06:38 PM
I appreciate all the feedback and the time everyone has taken to respond to my questions. Many perspectives to consider and I'll do my best to find a good bike. Thanks again.

shovelhd
03-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Ride on.

dustyrider
03-17-2017, 09:29 PM
I appreciate all the feedback and the time everyone has taken to respond to my questions. Many perspectives to consider and I'll do my best to find a good bike. Thanks again.

Put up a wtb ad in the classifieds. See what shakes loose! Most importantly have fun.

pdmtong
03-17-2017, 10:26 PM
This makes a lot of sense in many ways. At my current weight I could purchase a utility bike to use to drop my weight. In the meantime, save for the custom reward bike when I hit 220.
Through reading the forum my understanding is that even at 220lbs I would still need very stout wheels anyway. So that investment would possibly carry over to the next bike.

For so called "clydesdales" there is the nuance of the frame and the wheels.
aluminum bar stem post for sure.

I dont think the ride that suits you at 280 is the one best at 220. 60 pound delta is a lot no matter what the starting point.

although you (and I)) have dreams of weight loss, the one factor no one knows is "how long will it take?" I'm not saying that to be a richard, I am saying that because I htink you will best be served going in knowing you will be rebuying once your weight closes in on your target.

it's hard for me to image you might fold a frame assuming you are riding "light' and not bashing potholes. so to start, I'd find a used frame and make sure your wheels are stout.

once you get to 240 and lower, now you can go custom frame and even ksryium elites at 1550g.

I'm no expert, but all the research says that consistency more than hero effort or mileage is the key to sustained loss.

best of luck

here's an articl you might find insightful
https://www.bikerumor.com/2011/12/07/which-bicycle-wheels-are-best-for-heavier-riders/

beeatnik
03-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Don't worry too much about the frame. Buy used alu. Here are a couple of my pals. One goes 375 and the other 300. Neither has had any frame issues with used aluminum mid level frames. They do get a lot of flats, but that's another story.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2824/33462093996_5f9ca0308e_c.jpg