PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Frame from Australia

cachagua
03-16-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm interested in a frame that's on eBay. Seller is in New South Wales. The listing quotes something under $50, and it'll arrive in Seattle late May or early June. I could actually live with that, but the seller says it's just a generic autofill or something that eBay does, it wouldn't really work that way.

Looked into BikeFlights. Upwards of $500 USD. Out of the question. The seller estimates a couple hundred AUD, and that puts the net cost right at the limit of what the frame's worth to me... I'd like to do better than that.

Some of us have bought bikes from Australia and had them shipped to the US, haven't we? Think I remember reading about this happening. So how did you guys work it, and how much did you pay?

Of course there are inherent risks in buying something from so far away, but I'd like to pursue the deal -- figure, worst-case I can invoke buyer protection and not lose the whole purchase price. But the shipping is completely mysterious to me, so if any of you can shed some light that'd be great.

jtakeda
03-16-2017, 11:01 AM
I'm interested in a frame that's on eBay. Seller is in New South Wales. The listing quotes something under $50, and it'll arrive in Seattle late May or early June. I could actually live with that, but the seller says it's just a generic autofill or something that eBay does, it wouldn't really work that way.

Looked into BikeFlights. Upwards of $500 USD. Out of the question. The seller estimates a couple hundred AUD, and that puts the net cost right at the limit of what the frame's worth to me... I'd like to do better than that.

Some of us have bought bikes from Australia and had them shipped to the US, haven't we? Think I remember reading about this happening. So how did you guys work it, and how much did you pay?

Of course there are inherent risks in buying something from so far away, but I'd like to pursue the deal -- figure, worst-case I can invoke buyer protection and not lose the whole purchase price. But the shipping is completely mysterious to me, so if any of you can shed some light that'd be great.

Don't use bike flights for international. Use USPS to get an approximate quote. Depends on how big and heavy the frame is but I'd figure $150 should cover shipping

sokyroadie
03-16-2017, 11:03 AM
The only thing you need to know - $$$$$$$$.

If any forum members from Australia are coming to the US that is far and away the cheapest route - thanks again weisan :banana:

USPS if they can pack it really small, but still very expensive.

Jeff

makoti
03-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Don't use bike flights for international. Use USPS to get an approximate quote. Depends on how big and heavy the frame is but I'd figure $150 should cover shipping

I tried to ship a 51cm frame. No wheels, but parts. The quotes were in the $300-400+ range. It was crazy.

ColonelJLloyd
03-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Several years ago I sold a guitar to a guy in Oz thinking it would cost $150 or so to ship it to him. Nope. He lucked out, though, because my buddy was flying through Sydney a couple months later and made $100 checking it and handing it off to the guy at the airport. It's a small world sometimes.

Louis
03-16-2017, 02:15 PM
A while back I shipped a frame to Oz (used these guys, and it worked out quite well: https://www.shipito.com/en/ ) but have never had one shipped to me from there.

Bruce K
03-16-2017, 02:53 PM
We shippied some clothing and travel souvenirs from Australia.

If you use the Australian PO it can take weeks or more if it goes into a shipping container, but that is the cheapest. Air rates start to rival or even exceed US fees depending on size and weight.

Never tried a bike.

You might try PM'ing Dazza or Ginger. I am sure he/they have experience in this area.

BK

Llewellyn
03-16-2017, 04:03 PM
It's ridiculously expensive to send parcels within Australia too. Australia Post loses money on its snail mail service but makes a nice fat profit on the parcels business - that tells you something.

ColonelJLloyd
03-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Australia Post loses money on its snail mail service but makes a nice fat profit on the parcels business - that tells you something.

Pretty sure that's not unique to Australia. I think most if not all "national" postal services are highly subsidized by the respective national government.

Louis
03-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Pretty sure that's not unique to Australia. I think most if not all "national" postal services are highly subsidized by the respective national government.

Probably has to do with geography more than anything else. Providing mail service to rural areas with very low population density is expensive per capita compared to urban service.

jtakeda
03-16-2017, 06:00 PM
I tried to ship a 51cm frame. No wheels, but parts. The quotes were in the $300-400+ range. It was crazy.

Wowowow

I've shipped records plenty of times and it's been about the same cost as shipping to Europe.
A bike is way different though, figured if I can ship a 57cm frame to the Netherlands for $90 Australia would be just a little more

ColonelJLloyd
03-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Probably has to do with geography more than anything else. Providing mail service to rural areas with very low population density is expensive per capita compared to urban service.

True.