PDA

View Full Version : Max cluster on a 126mm rear dropout

RobJ
03-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Steel project bike is 126mm rear spacing and thinking of leaving it and not cold setting. From what I could find it looks like 7 speed is the max I can run? Only considering Campy. Thanks.

Pastashop
03-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Yes, 7sp, if you're not spreading the drop outs to fit a hub with OLD of 130.

ultraman6970
03-15-2017, 06:47 PM
You can put a 130 mm wheel in there w/o any problem and w/o cold setting, just spread while inserting the wheel and good to go.

One detail tho, the smallest cog might or might not touch the stay. I wont go into the details but fix that is super easy.

Hindmost
03-15-2017, 09:38 PM
I have assembled a couple Eroica bikes in the last year and now see how c%*?y freewheels are---the cogs don't run true. The rear hubs are beautiful but the right side bearing is located too far inboard.

On other retro project bikes I much prefer casette hubs.

weaponsgrade
03-15-2017, 10:41 PM
I was able to pop-in an 8 speed cassette into a 126mm frame. Rear wheel is a Campy hub with the threaded axle. The hub was originally spaced at 130mm. I removed some washers to make it 126mm and then re-dished the wheel.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2017, 04:01 AM
You can put a 130 mm wheel in there w/o any problem and w/o cold setting, just spread while inserting the wheel and good to go.

One detail tho, the smallest cog might or might not touch the stay. I wont go into the details but fix that is super easy.

A big maybe. When spreading the dropouts, they are then not parallel. When forcing them parallel with a QR, it 'may' break a dropout, either at seatstay or chainstay(the 2 I have seen were both at the seat stay). Will it happen? Probably not but it can.