PDA

View Full Version : Kinda sad!!!

Dave B
08-10-2006, 04:11 PM
You know after this entire Floyd thing I am sorta down about pro racing. I suppose I want(ed) him to be innocent, but in the grand scheme of life it isn't as if Floyd gives a rat's ba-toot if I get sick or break an arm.

I guess when you love something and for me it is bikes and riding, you have to have negative Karma in what you love.

Listening to all sorts of pros and people in the professional cycling world talk so much smack about Floyd and what a disgrace he is sorta sucks.

I was excited he won. Still do not know if he cheated. But I guess there are other cyclists out there who need a little help.

I honestly do not know if it is wrong to use drugs. Sure I know it is illeagle, and now having a daughter (1 year old) I am more concerned with "pro" role models and what she may gravitate to. However, I watch my 5th graders all the time continue to support the morons in the NBA, NFL, and MLB as though they could do no wrong.

I guess I miss the feeling I got when Lance won. I know many of you hate him for one reason or another, but I don't. I am way to huge of a fan of his and what he has done.

But I miss that excitement. I think I should get involved with the lower ranks of cycling and support the kids/guys gals that are busting their buttocks trying to make it.

Had a roommate in college Karl Bordine who races now. I do not know who for as it is hard to follow some of the state champion series, but this summer and all of this crap with Floyd sucks.

Anyway, just have been thinking about that for awhile and figured someone might feel the same.

72gmc
08-10-2006, 05:11 PM
i'm with you. i think going the other way is the right answer. get closer to the grassroots, as you have already suggested.

local 'cross races are some of my favorite races to watch. and this morning, on the ride in, i stopped for ten minutes to watch the national masters rowing championships (http://www.usrowing.org/Events_Regattas/MastersNationalChampionships/index.aspx) at greenlake here in seattle.

regular people who are obsessed with a sport, just like me. cheering each other on, knocking themselves out to prove something to--themselves. just thrilled to compete.

this stuff rocks. i'll be back there every day if i can.

Archibald
08-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm with you. Floyd has taken a lot of heat, maybe justly so, but it seems early in the evolution for the crucifixion he's been subjected to. There seems too much glee taken in criticizing the best of any field, cyclists or otherwise, when they stumble or if there is even the slightest perception of impropriety. When I think about it, I'm reminded of some of Teddy Roosevelt's speeches:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." - 1910

"the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." - 1891

"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger." - 1894

atmo
08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm with you. Floyd has taken a lot of heat, maybe justly so, but it seems early in the evolution for the crucifixion he's been subjected to.

i'm in perfect alignment with you atmo.

Archibald
08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
i'm in perfect alignment with you atmo.
Then I have achieved enlightenment. Would you like to share my psilocybin (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115258280486902994-AkOJkdepEq_uYKdjxsfSC_cKVtw_20060809.html?mod=tff_ main_tff_top)?

atmo
08-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Then I have achieved enlightenment. Would you like share my psilocybin (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115258280486902994-AkOJkdepEq_uYKdjxsfSC_cKVtw_20060809.html?mod=tff_ main_tff_top)?

i am a mere journeyman in the walk of life atmo.

Dave B
08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
I guess you through other's words make the greatest point. We all here on this forum think and often respond our own criticism for those we do not understand, hate, despise, enjoy, and support.

Yet we have not done the deed at all times and we sit aloft in our own castle and judge others by their failures.

Is it simply our own frame of reality that we look through and try to understand what we ourselves see as different?

I suppose sometimes then maybe the media and critics should just shut it! Then maybe our culture will have to think for ourselves instead of being told what to think and how to feel.

Anyway... :beer:

atmo
08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I suppose sometimes then maybe the media and critics should just shut it! Then maybe our culture will have to think for ourselves instead of being told what to think and how to feel.

Anyway... :beer:

how do you separate it?
the print/electronic media is part of popular culture atmo.

Archibald
08-10-2006, 06:48 PM
i am a mere journeyman in the walk of life atmo.If you are lost, then follow Lance, for he is the master able to take the measure of a man and those who follow him will become a fixture unto paradise.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

stevep
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." - 1910

"the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." - 1891

"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger." - 1894

i love teddy roosevelt... he was all right...look at the dimwit we have now.

72gmc
08-10-2006, 07:32 PM
i love teddy roosevelt... he was all right...look at the dimwit we have now.

dad and i were saying this same thing to each other months ago... t.r. still inspires, all these years later.

hey look! time to ride again. wheee