PDA

View Full Version : 6 bolt and center lock wheels interchangeable?

R3awak3n
03-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Currently have a pair of 6 bolt disc wheels. My next wheelset will probably be centerlock, wondering if I would have a problem changing wheels on this build? I would prefer not to have to readjust the brake pads.

ColonelJLloyd
03-14-2017, 01:04 PM
I think the chances of you not having to adjust the calipers slightly are pretty slim. They do make 6-bolt hub shims and probably centerlock shims for this purpose. But this is a result of the wheels being "just not the same wheels" rather than one being centerlock and one being 6-bolt. If both sets were 6-bolt you would still have to adjust calipers. Quick release frames would theoretically be even more of an issue than thru axle frames.

R3awak3n
03-14-2017, 01:19 PM
I think the chances of you not having to adjust the calipers slightly are pretty slim. They do make 6-bolt hub shims and probably centerlock shims for this purpose. But this is a result of the wheels being "just not the same wheels" rather than one being centerlock and one being 6-bolt. If both sets were 6-bolt you would still have to adjust calipers. Quick release frames would theoretically be even more of an issue than thru axle frames.

and this is a QR frame. And you are totally right, different hubs will probably dictate where things go in the frame. I have been happy with 6 bolt but saw a few good deals on center lock hubs and also centerlock calipers but maybe I should build these wills with the exactly same hubs so that I don't have to mess with anything when switching wheelsets.

ColonelJLloyd
03-14-2017, 01:30 PM
I would just build with what works out. I'm guessing you could build a wheelset with the same model hubs and the calipers would still need adjusting slightly when you change wheelsets. I gather people that switch between two sets use shims on one of the sets to get them as close as possible.

R3awak3n
03-14-2017, 01:43 PM
I would just build with what works out. I'm guessing you could build a wheelset with the same model hubs and the calipers would still need adjusting slightly when you change wheelsets. I gather people that switch between two sets use shims on one of the sets to get them as close as possible.

eh shims ahha. I mean at least its spyres which are decently easily adjustable.

echelon_john
03-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Even if they feel terrible! ; )

eh shims ahha. I mean at least its spyres which are decently easily adjustable.

R3awak3n
03-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Even if they feel terrible! ; )

lol, I mean yeah. They do have some qualities and braking well is not one of them