Fixed
08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
one hour ride to trail 2 hours on then an hour back home
2 hours road 2 hours easy single track trail rooty mostly
thanks
cheers

coylifut
08-10-2006, 02:30 PM
I've been using the Kenda Nevegal with the Stick-E tread on the outside knobs. I suspect the having the Stick-E on the whole tire would wear fast givin the hour on the road.

Jeremy
08-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Hutchinson Python air light 26x2.0. Fast on the road, nice tread, lightweight, good volume for a 2.0. I think it would be perfect for your mixed/fixed ride.

Jeremy

Dave B
08-10-2006, 04:00 PM
I would second the pythons, but you might give maxxiss larsen tt a go or their new crossmark. Center knobs for low rolling resistance and plenty of traction on the trail.

I have used the Larsen TT UST and it rolled wicked fast!

gdw
08-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Tire selection is really dependent upon the trails you ride but Continental Explorers are a good all around tire. They are about the same weight as Python Air Lights and slightly slower on the road but much more resistant to flats. The Pythons are fast tires and great for racing but have a really thin casing which is easily punctured.

billrick
08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I third the Pythons for fast and light, but . . .

One question - do you have much sand on the singletrack trail section?

pdonk
08-10-2006, 07:47 PM
I use the python as well on teh rear. They tend to wear relatively fast though when riding on the road.

if you can find smoke comp light 1.9 for the rear, you'll have a tire that hooks up well, and is super small for the ride to and from. Older semi slicks work too.

Archibald
08-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I've never owned a Hutchinson tire that didn't have a sidewall failure early in its life. Nevegals are excellent tires but roll too slow and wear too fast as a rear tire to do any significant road miles on. Perhaps you should mix it up, put a Nevegal on the front and a Kenda Short Tracker on the rear - this would be my #1 choice unless it's wet then I would opt for a Maxxis Minion or High Roller in the front. Short Trackers are very, very, fast rolling and work very well as a rear tire in most conditions. Another consideration is WTB's Mutanoraptors or Nanoraptors. Both very fast rolling tires with minimum buzz or feedback on the road.

spiderlake
08-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Hutchinson's wear FAST! That soft rubber just doesn't last on pavement and hard pack. I am running bulldogs on the Trance and I'm amazed at how quickly they are wearing.

Check out MTB Review if you get a chance. For the most part, the reviews are useful. I am linking directly to the tire section:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/tire/

toaster
08-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Just give me two properly inflated name-brand higher end mountain bike tires with a knobby tread and I'll ride those suckers on the road and the dirt.

I often do rides with 30 miles on the road and 20 on the dirt just to keep from driving to the trailhead. If my tires wear faster on the road then cool. It don't bother me none.

Kane
08-11-2006, 02:29 AM
I use the 2.4, but to ride so far on a road before hitting the trail you might consider the 2.1.

The main advantage is the center strip has a tread that will decrease the rolling resistance. Trail or mtn. The 2.1 is a better front tire for traction on the trail.

Cheers,

Kane

ericspin
08-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Where you going - Flatwoods? I ride my CX bike (that you saw fixed) from my house to Flatwoods, do the trails then ride home.

TUFO tubeless clinchers - they are great.

Archibald
08-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Where you going - Flatwoods? I ride my CX bike (that you saw fixed) from my house to Flatwoods, do the trails then ride home.

TUFO tubeless clinchers - they are great.
There are two types of Tufo cross tire users in the world: those who have rolled Tufo CXs off the rim and those who will roll them off the rim. As long as you keep those tires inflated to their upper end pressure limits you'll be fine, but if you want to run lower pressures for ride or traction, you're facing an unplanned dismount. Tufo road tubless clinchers are great, but the same caveat applies. I never run mine lower than 100psi on the road. Don't use the cross tires at all anymore.

Picture worth a thousand words: Note the photo of the rider performing ostrich manuever and cross bike flying in air. Note also front Tufo tubeless clincher that had rolled off the rim just moments earlier.

Fixed
08-11-2006, 08:31 AM
thanks bros yeah eric flatwoods it's a nice ride from ybor
cheers