PDA

View Full Version : Milan-San Remo

yarg
03-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Sitting around today trapped by the snow storm spending to much time on the computer looking forward to the next big race. Saw that the two heavy favorites are Peter Sagan and Fernando Gaviria. Sagan is no surprise, but looking at Gaviria's age and history can't figure the odds. I know he can sprint but there has to be more, educate me.

MattTuck
03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
I haven't looked at the start list in detail yet, but Quick-Step has not had the best luck with MSR. You could view that as them either being due for a big win (reversion to the mean), or just not being very good at this race (just a lower base rate).

He won a stage in Tirreno-Adriatico, so its hard to say he's not a favorite.

nooneline
03-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Gaviria got over the Poggio in the lead group at last year's MSR - he just stupidly crashed himself out in the last kilometer. He seems to be very capable of winning if he makes it to the end with the bunch - sometimes dominantly so (take a look at what he did at Paris-Tours last year). He's extremely capable.

I think yesterday's stage of TA is about as good a preview of MSR as one can get in the pre-season.

FlashUNC
03-14-2017, 12:35 PM
He was gonna win last year if not for bodging it in the last 300m. Gaviria can totally win MSR.

MattTuck
03-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Gaviria, while capable, is still very young (as far as MSR winners go). Yes, he looked strong last year, but he is only 22 years old, and the last 300m of a 290km race are where the difference is made in Milano Sanremo. In other words, a lot of people get to 300m looking like they could win. That is where the race for victory actually begins.

Winning a 168km stage after your teammate tired out Sagan with a feigned attack is a good tactical win, but doesn't exactly presage victory on the Via Roma.

Just a cursory look at the results, and Gaviria was way down in the two other stages that Sagan won. Not sure if he was sand bagging at the end of those stages, had a mechanical, etc. I just don't know. I wouldn't bet on him for Sunday, but that is just me.

FlashUNC
03-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Gaviria, while capable, is still very young (as far as MSR winners go). Yes, he looked strong last year, but he is only 22 years old, and the last 300m of a 290km race are where the difference is made in Milano Sanremo. In other words, a lot of people get to 300m looking like they could win. That is where the race for victory actually begins.

Winning a 168km stage after your teammate tired out Sagan with a feigned attack is a good tactical win, but doesn't exactly presage victory on the Via Roma.

Just a cursory look at the results, and Gaviria was way down in the two other stages that Sagan won. Not sure if he was sand bagging at the end of those stages, had a mechanical, etc. I just don't know. I wouldn't bet on him for Sunday, but that is just me.

Well yeah, but the 300m was because he touched wheels. It wasn't anything due to youth or inability. He was the strongest of the group running into that final sprint. And yes, luck always plays a part, but there was no better pure sprinter in that final last year than him.

MSR is always weird and unpredictable, but if he's in the lead group in that last 1.5k, I doubt anyone wants a sprint at the line.

nooneline
03-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Good thoughts, Matt. You’re right that MSR is a different beast altogether and difficult to predict - for that reason I think there are some surprise victors among the list of recent winners. Nothing’s a sure thing, but a lot of the signs are there: Gaviria has shown he can get over the Poggio with the lead group, he’s shown that he can go head to head with Sagan in a field sprint, he’s shown that he’s in good form lately. That’s enough to put him on the list for MSR. Will he win it? Or would he have won it last year if he didn’t touch wheels? Maybe. We’ll never know the latter, and we’ll find out the former on Saturday. Of course, it’s road racing - a flat tire at a bad time or somebody else’s inattentive crash could ruin his day and answer the question for us.

I’m also interested in who else is on the list for MSR. Demare is having a good spring but I wouldn’t bet on a repeat MSR victory. Sonny Colbrelli could be up there at the end. GVA and Kwiatko both race the hell out of every race they’re in. Kristoff is always dangerous, Trek is bringing a strong team with Degenkolb, Felline, and Stuyven… man just thinking about it is making me excited!

yarg
03-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Just one of the odds makers lists out there, pretty much all have Sagan, Gaviria top two. Don't mean a thing, except its interesting to see who the money likes.

Peter Sagan 4/1
Fernando Gaviria 5/1
Arnaud Demare 11/1
John Degenkolb 11/1
Alexander Kristoff 11/1
Mark Cavendish 14/1
Nacer Bouhanni 16/1
Michael Matthews 18/1
Sonny Colbrelli 18/1
Caleb Ewan 22/1
Greg Van Avermaet 25/1
Fabio Felline 28/1
Elia Viviani 28/1
Julian Alaphilippe 28/1
Michal Kwiatkowski 28/1
Ben Swift 33/1

Macadamia
03-14-2017, 07:59 PM
I'd like to see someone go "long" at least holding out over the Poggio. Last year was super chill most of the way up.

Also hope everyone stays upright, Gaviria nearly took out both Sagan and Cancellara last year, want to see everyone race the rest of the classics.

Elefantino
03-14-2017, 09:50 PM
It's "Sanremo"

There is no St. Remo.

nooneline
03-15-2017, 05:52 AM
It's styled as both San Remo and Sanremo. There may be no St Remo, but there's a St Remus, Romulus of Genoa (or Romolo in Italian), from which the town's name is derived.

MattTuck
03-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Ok, I'm not going to the top 3, because they are so favored; so no Sagan, Degenkolb or Gaviria. I just don't think it is fun to choose them, even though it'll probably be one of them -- or Demare or Kristoff.

I will be cheering for Degenkolb, as he's been on a long come back after a driver took out his team last year. I hope he returns to his top form.

In terms of a podium, here we go:
1. Dumoulin
2. Kwiatkowski

3. Colbrelli (winning bunch sprint)

"Stealth fighter pick": Magnus Cort Nielsen

godukes
03-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Kwiatkowski is the dark horse i selected.

regularguy412
03-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Kwiatkowski is the dark horse i selected.

He's on my initial Velogames team for the spring classics.

Mike in AR:beer:

MattTuck
03-17-2017, 08:18 AM
He was gonna win last year if not for bodging it in the last 300m. Gaviria can totally win MSR.

Heads up.

Clean39T
03-17-2017, 10:27 AM
I picked this book on the Monuments (http://road.cc/content/review/118734-monuments-grit-and-glory-cyclings-greatest-one-day-races-peter-cossins) up in the remainders section at Powells City o' Books and am reading each section before each race...still have 40 odd pages to go before MSR, but so far its been quite an interesting read...recommend it to anyone who is trying to get up to speed on the history of these epics...

echappist
03-17-2017, 06:12 PM
Ok, I'm not going to the top 3, because they are so favored; so no Sagan, Degenkolb or Gaviria. I just don't think it is fun to choose them, even though it'll probably be one of them -- or Demare or Kristoff.

I will be cheering for Degenkolb, as he's been on a long come back after a driver took out his team last year. I hope he returns to his top form.

In terms of a podium, here we go:
1. Dumoulin
2. Kwiatkowski

3. Colbrelli (winning bunch sprint)

"Stealth fighter pick": Magnus Cort Nielsen

i like all three picks there, but especially Cobrelli.

stephenmarklay
03-18-2017, 05:49 AM
So where is this available to watch?

nooneline
03-18-2017, 06:01 AM
So where is this available to watch?

steephill.tv
cyclingfans.com
tiz-cycling.racing

stephenmarklay
03-18-2017, 06:06 AM
Thanks, watching now.

ultraman6970
03-18-2017, 06:07 AM
1 more hour darn!!!

mjalder2
03-18-2017, 06:47 AM
1 more hour darn!!!

My thoughts exactly. Got up "early" to wait. Eurosport broadcast doesn't start until 9:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephenmarklay
03-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Man I was watching it on RAI in Italian but tried Eurosport. Bad move.

mjalder2
03-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Eurosport broadcast is starting, but it is still just montages of Milan.

Black Dog
03-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Here is a live stream showing the race; en francais.

http://www.streaming-hub.com/lequipe-21-live/

mjalder2
03-18-2017, 07:46 AM
Live on eurosport 2 now.

estilley
03-18-2017, 08:15 AM
When using the Eurosport player, can any of you get commentary?

Mine's just silent with road noise and helicopters etc but I know those commentators are saying something!

Elefantino
03-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Click on "Eurosport 2" and not "UCI"

Web1111a
03-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Watching on you tube

Of those links from steep hill etc are they still the type of sites with weird pop ups

estilley
03-18-2017, 08:40 AM
For some odd reason I can only get the UCI feed to load on eurosport player

wpod
03-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Here live on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wslB2VQ1AQI)

estilley
03-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Looks like the browser was the issue, changed to Firefox and life is good!

godukes
03-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Thank you.

estilley
03-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Things are starting to get a little interesting!

Willy
03-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the link

azrider
03-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Thanks!!

estilley
03-18-2017, 10:09 AM
We've got a race now!!!!!

Lovetoclimb
03-18-2017, 10:16 AM
That attack was a nuclear blast. Paging FlashUNC

Tickdoc
03-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Exciting, crushing, I'm sticking with exciting.

Frankwurst
03-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Wow!:beer:

azrider
03-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Not a fan of Sagan but that was a HELLUVA ride.

jlyon
03-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Classic! Great Finish!

enr1co
03-18-2017, 10:22 AM
awesome racing by Sagan!

FlashUNC
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Pro tip: Don't flick your elbow to try to get someone to work through under 1k.

commonguy001
Great finish
and Thanks for the Link!! The Tiz Cycling stream died with 18k to go and Youtube came through

tv_vt
03-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Yes, thanks for that link! Saw the Poggio attack and finish.

Kind of hard to take the results for 1st and 2nd. That, as they say, is bike racing.

Jad
Exciting, blistering attack.

Lewis Moon
Video of the finish?

Elefantino
03-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Holy crap ... I'm still exhausted from that finish.

Sagan is so, so strong, but he just bound up at the end. Great win for Kwiatkowski. Strade Bianche (should be a monument some day) and now Milan-Sanremo. That pretty much makes anyone's season!

galgal
03-18-2017, 10:33 AM
What a finish. Thought Sagan had it won after that blistering attack.

eBAUMANN
03-18-2017, 10:46 AM
amazing amazing amazing amazing finish

sagan is the best thing to happen to road racing since i have been watching road racing.

my heart rate is still elevated...could be the coffee though heh

echappist
03-18-2017, 10:59 AM
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

I heard Chappelle is back on TV again. You should audition to join the Playa Hata's Club

http://media.tumblr.com/5a7cfbda1e4dfc5fde6e229f3cecaacb/tumblr_inline_mtr2ayfVWL1r8ayy5.jpg

Holy crap ... I'm still exhausted from that finish.

Sagan is so, so strong, but he just bound up at the end. Great win for Kwiatkowski. Strade Bianche (should be a monument some day) and now Milan-Sanremo. That pretty much makes anyone's season!

I don't think he bound up; just that he started the sprint 25-50 m too early, damn...

And Kwiatek's palmares for this season would make anyone else's career

thwart
03-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Video of the finish?

Here ya go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wslB2VQ1AQI

chengher87
03-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Great finish and start to the classics season. I like the respect given here at the end. Sagan knowing that he needed to do the work at the end there (I mean everyone flicks their elbow at the end when they are being forced to lead out the spring) and Kwiatowski putting in enough work to keep the gap stead to the chasing group. These two young'ns are incredible racers.

Sagan needs to play his cards a little better. He's constantly by himself in a lot of these classics, no matter what team he is on. Kwiatwoski AND Alaphalippe both had sprinters in the pack, so they could sit on for a bit once they caught up to Sagan. He's also a little inconsistent at the reduced sprints as well. His timing isn't always there. It seems that he is starting his sprint way too early, especially given that he was the best sprinter of the three. His initial gap was pretty big when he started the sprint, but just lost steam at the end there eating wind while Kwiato was sheltered the entire time. He may be thinking too much. He's so much better at the bunch sprints, where he probably just turns off his brain and looks for the gaps and is a little more instinctual about timing his acceleration.

Love the way he races though. Will attack whenever and wherever.

weisan
03-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Three of the most exciting and talented racers of their generation got to the finish together....what more can I ask?:p

yarg
03-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Just finished watching the replay, WOW, best race finish I have seen in some time. Sagan didn't win but he made it the race it was.

hoonjr
03-18-2017, 05:53 PM
I really feel for Sagan. At any level of racing, it's really hard to drive a break like that and still win the sprint. Even for a beast like Sagan. I saw that Kwiatokowski (sp) put out 1200 watts during his sprint. Fack, that's a lot after 180 miles!

efaust_o
03-18-2017, 06:10 PM
I'm only sad they won't meet up again, or will they?

weisan
03-18-2017, 06:56 PM

nate2351
03-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Alright 'Friends' on three. One, two, three; Friends!

weisan
03-18-2017, 07:06 PM
He looks so good on the bike. I will miss him.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sanremo17-boonen-side-920.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/racing/photo-special-milano-sanremo-17/#.WM3YyfkrK70

weisan
03-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Alright 'Friends' on three. One, two, three; Friends!

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sanremo17-sprint-battle-920.jpg

kramnnim
03-18-2017, 07:26 PM
I guess the lunge knocked Sagans chain off?

regularguy412
03-18-2017, 07:35 PM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sanremo17-sprint-battle-920.jpg

MAN! That's a GREAT pic! Two world champions and an up-and-comer all under a blanket at the line.

Looks like new wallpaper for me. :)

Mike in AR:beer:

doomridesout
03-18-2017, 09:07 PM
I think Sagan's chain is just undergoing some chainsuck under massive wattz+jouncing.

MattTuck
03-18-2017, 10:36 PM
I might be the last person to know the result, that cares.

Was visiting family today, so couldn't watch this morning. Got home around 7 tonight, got on the trainer and started the Eurosport replay... which doesn't let you pick your spot of the video, you have to watch from beginning to end. Ok... nice shots of Milan... did my work out, sat down to watch the last 70K or so, tried to fast forward a commercial break (I didn't know you couldn't do that at the time)... the thing starts over. ugh.

SO, let it play for 2 hours while I do some other stuff, then come in and watch the finish of the race.

Damn, I figured Kwiatkowski might pull something exciting out of his hat -- but didn't think it'd be with Sagan, I figured Sagan would be happy to make it tough but go to the finish with an elite group. Tactically, not sure why Sagan attacked there unless he was convinced that Gaviria, Degenkolb and others would smoke him in the finale. Either way, that was a huge attack from the Slovak that made the race. His tactics sure are exciting, if a little questionable. But, like I said. If his choice was finishing 5th in a bunch sprint or this, I think it was the smart move.

Three great riders in the finale. Alaphilippe showing more versatility than I expected.

Certainly the most exciting MSR that I've watched live, and I'm extremely thankful that I was able to watch it without knowing the outcome.

ultraman6970
03-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Finally saw the last 25 km of the race and the was great as usual.

Anybody noticed how big sagan looks this year?? and Kwiatkowski looks like shrank a little bit??

nooneline
03-19-2017, 05:51 AM
Kwiatko - wow. What a rider. You'd be crazy to start him hoping that he'd win MSR (or, for that matter, some of the other races he's won) but he's an incredible racer who uses his head and has the legs to seal the deal. He'll never be a prolific winner like Sagan but I think he'll have the palmares to match.

Sagan got Cancellara'd! He could have taken his chance in the field sprint but he's been racing on feel, which is exciting. Blowing open a nearly 20-second gap on the Poggio and driving it to the line is one of the most powerful performances on the Poggio I've seen in modern racing.

Alaphillipe - big time runner-up over the past few years. If he doesn't change things around he'll shape up to be an Ardennes GVA.

The situation - straight up Tactics 101. Sagan had to go and the others didn't have to pull. I was surprised that Alaphillipe took a pull or two, and Kwiatko took one, I think, but once they were on the flats, they didn't have to. Sag did. Forced to the front with 1.5km to go? Zugzwang.

PepeM
03-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Got home around 7 tonight, got on the trainer and started the Eurosport replay... which doesn't let you pick your spot of the video, you have to watch from beginning to end.

I also watched the replay, but I could choose spot on the video just fine. There might be something wrong with your setup. Browser maybe?

MattTuck
03-19-2017, 10:33 AM
I also watched the replay, but I could choose spot on the video just fine. There might be something wrong with your setup. Browser maybe?

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for letting me know. It is both reassuring (that Eurosport player is not THAT bad), and annoying because it would have been good to know yesterday!

I was using Internet Explorer on a Windows 7 system. It is the only browser that I could get to work last year, if I recall... I thought it had something to do with Silverlight. Perhaps I should try again and see if I can get Firefox or Chrome to work.

Either way, good to know that it was a problem on my end. :beer:

FlashUNC
03-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Petey needs to learn how to hold a line.

JStonebarger
03-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Petey's the only one in that shot who's not already on his brakes.

Red Tornado
03-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Maybe it's an optical illusion or something but Kwiatowski & Sagan both have some pretty decent looking biceps. Nothing like an NFL player (obviously) but still, more than I would expect to see on a pro cyclist. I guess they do more upper-body work in the off season maybe than I figured.
Kwiatowski played it smart, but Sagan's got panache (haven't heard that word in a while).

echappist
03-19-2017, 02:47 PM
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for letting me know. It is both reassuring (that Eurosport player is not THAT bad), and annoying because it would have been good to know yesterday!

I was using Internet Explorer on a Windows 7 system. It is the only browser that I could get to work last year, if I recall... I thought it had something to do with Silverlight. Perhaps I should try again and see if I can get Firefox or Chrome to work.

Either way, good to know that it was a problem on my end. :beer:

browser dependent. i use Chrome, and it works most of the time. though sometimes thing also don't work so well for the replay

nooneline
03-19-2017, 02:55 PM

He could have done a LOT more to shut the door in MK and JA, while still being within the rules. The bike throw wasn't an issue of holding a line.

Everybody gets that you don't like him.

http://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif

Frankwurst
03-19-2017, 03:19 PM

I'm sure he'd appreciate you pointing that out to him.;):beer:

MattTuck
03-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Degenkolb needs to man-up and not try to blame Colbrelli, who was on a continental team up until this year. I like Degenkolb, but sometimes you need to be honest. Did he really expect Colbrelli to be willing and able to close down a gap for him? Especially if you're a previous winner.

"We did a very good job," explained Degenkolb. "It did not work out 100 per cent as we wanted it, but still we were up front when it mattered. When it was really fast on the Cipressa, Jasper [Stuyven] did a phenomenal job to make sure we had a good position, and also for the descent. It was perfect.

"On the Poggio, Fabio [Felline] did the same for me, and when Sagan went, I was up there. The problem was [Sonny] Colbrelli was in between, and he blew up, and I could not close the gap anymore. That was unfortunate.”

FlashUNC
03-19-2017, 05:07 PM
He could have done a LOT more to shut the door in MK and JA, while still being within the rules. The bike throw wasn't an issue of holding a line.

Everybody gets that you don't like him.

http://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif

Sure. And he still came halfway across the road during the spring, and yet somehow in the bike throw Kwiatkowski didn't act like someone rising home after a couple bottles of wine too many.

If he's Mr Bike Handler then he should be able to, yanno, handle the thing.

crankles
03-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Degenkolb needs to man-up and not try to blame Colbrelli, who was on a continental team up until this year. I like Degenkolb, but sometimes you need to be honest. Did he really expect Colbrelli to be willing and able to close down a gap for him? Especially if you're a previous winner.

completely agree with this... Kristoff was far more honest.

although I prefer to see Sagan win it having initiated the move, he was really in a bind tactically....did as well as he could. Too bad Bora doesn't have a few dudes who can hang. They seem to be all spent just getting him to the last 60k of a race, then he's on his own. Sky looked like they had 5 or 6 guys at the base of the Poggio. I'm a fan of all three of those guys.

I think Sagan was smart to attack when he did and not try to save it for the bunch sprint. too much a crap shoot in MSR.

What a great finish.

Black Dog
03-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Sure. And he still came halfway across the road during the spring, and yet somehow in the bike throw Kwiatkowski didn't act like someone rising home after a couple bottles of wine too many.

If he's Mr Bike Handler then he should be able to, yanno, handle the thing.

Yea there is a zero percent chance that he was simply beyond exhausted after the final 10km. Yea, he has no skills on a bike. He just sat in and got a free ride to the line. :rolleyes:

I must say your take is sort of an #alternatesagan perspective. :bike:

beeatnik
03-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Flash, no disrespect intended, but I must ask: have you ever been in the mix in the last 250m of a race, Tuesday Night Worlds or that online training thing (zwift)?

Go Bruins
Go Blue Devils

FlashUNC
03-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Yea there is a zero percent chance that he was simply beyond exhausted after the final 10km. Yea, he has no skills on a bike. He just sat in and got a free ride to the line. :rolleyes:

I must say your take is sort of an #alternatesagan perspective. :bike:

Flash, no disrespect intended, but I must ask: have you ever been in the mix in the last 250m of a race, Tuesday Night Worlds or that online training thing (zwift)?

Go Bruins
Go Blue Devils

I've never been many aspirations beyond pack fodder both on the road and track, but mixed it up in my share of sprints on both when I was young and dumber. And yeah, rule #1: Hold your line, even when you're breathing out of your eyeballs. Especially when that "I'm totally gassed" just happens to have you veering into your competitors' line. Weird how that happens.

It ain't too much to ask the world's greatest bike handler evar omg to hold his line, even at the end of MSR. Its a long race, I get it. But guys seem able to hold their line in those sprints all the time.

ultraman6970
03-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Sagan has been winning races by himself since a few years already, the good about sagan is that apparently he is not blaming his team for the race he lost as other do because after all, eventhought cycling looks like a team sport at the end every man is there by themselves. At tinkoff the team did the same...help the dude till the last 30 km and pray he doesnt have a mechanical.

And honestly not many champions around that can win races by themselves, sagan, contador, valverde, cancelara, S/kelly and EM just to mention a few. But that can show the class sagan has, as i read this week, sagan might be the strongest and best rider ever, he might never win a GT but his palpares is stupidly amazing compared to tour winners, that after all need a team to win like ... yes... that one... I like the guy but w/o a team never seen him shine like the slovak does.

completely agree with this... Kristoff was far more honest.

although I prefer to see Sagan win it having initiated the move, he was really in a bind tactically....did as well as he could. Too bad Bora doesn't have a few dudes who can hang. They seem to be all spent just getting him to the last 60k of a race, then he's on his own. Sky looked like they had 5 or 6 guys at the base of the Poggio. I'm a fan of all three of those guys.

I think Sagan was smart to attack when he did and not try to save it for the bunch sprint. too much a crap shoot in MSR.

What a great finish.

oldpotatoe
03-20-2017, 05:06 AM
Sagan has been winning races by himself since a few years already, the good about sagan is that apparently he is not blaming his team for the race he lost as other do because after all, eventhought cycling looks like a team sport at the end every man is there by themselves. At tinkoff the team did the same...help the dude till the last 30 km and pray he doesnt have a mechanical.

And honestly not many champions around that can win races by themselves, sagan, contador, valverde, cancelara, S/kelly and EM just to mention a few. But that can show the class sagan has, as i read this week, sagan might be the strongest and best rider ever, he might never win a GT but his palpares is stupidly amazing compared to tour winners, that after all need a team to win like ... yes... that one... I like the guy but w/o a team never seen him shine like the slovak does.

Errr, I think to be the 'best rider ever', winning a GT or even smaller stage race is essential. 'Best one day race winner', he has a shot at that.

imho and all that.

r_mutt
03-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Errr, I think to be the 'best rider ever', winning a GT or even smaller stage race is essential. 'Best one day race winner', he has a shot at that.

imho and all that.

he did win the overall for the "4th grand tour" ;) in 2015.

mistermo
03-20-2017, 06:51 AM

Petey's edging into MK occurred way after the finish line. At the finish, he was clean. Look at the pic and see how far back the line is.

http://www.steephill.tv/2017/milan-san-remo/00456b12-39d5-4d9d-be51-f543dcab6ea9-640.jpg

notsew
03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
MK outplayed Sagan, but Sagan made the race exciting. He sure is fun to watch.

"I always believe I can beat anyone if you make things right," he explained carefully.

"I was really trying to focus on the sprint. For sure, I was gambling a bit with Sagan's mind and for sure, he was under big pressure. I know that wearing the rainbow jersey puts you in a hard situation.

"A bunch sprint and a one-to-one sprint are very different. I was 100 percent sure that Sagan has better acceleration and he's just a better sprinter. But he is beatable."

"I did my very best in the sprint. I left a little gap before the sprint, forcing him to lead out. He looked behind and I knew that when he saw the gap he'd start the sprint first. On the track, if you are directly behind the wheel, you will lose a couple of metres when a faster guy starts a sprint. I was trying to stay relaxed and have enough space to get up to a higher speed before the finish line. In the end, that worked out by a couple of centimetres. I'm happy how it went…."

Mzilliox
03-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Say what you need to about Sagan, like him or envy him, whatever your dish.

But that sprint had Panache, guts, and brute power all in one. Im a bit surprised Kwiatkowski and Allaphilipe even managed to reel him back in, he may jumped a K too soon i guess.

Nobody is racing like this with nuts and guts anymore. Thats why people like Sagan, he just races, screw the team cars and radios and all the other stuff that has made the sport more boring. He will launch a surprise attack like the good old days.

weisan
03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Sagan said it in the interview, he went full gas on Poggio to distance himself from the peloton. That effort and the lack of cooperation from his breakaway mates in the last kilometers put him at the deficit in the finals. If you look at his sprint and compare it to the ones he did in other races, it's visibly less explosive. He's not superman as he often reminded us. Also, he's a realist, he understands how this works, he's not complaining about it.

beeatnik
03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Need to find some pro Stravas but no way the run up to the finish was flat.

PepeM
03-20-2017, 12:55 PM
It ain't too much to ask the world's greatest bike handler evar omg to hold his line, even at the end of MSR. Its a long race, I get it. But guys seem able to hold their line in those sprints all the time.

You seem much more concerned with this than Kwiatkowski was.

Nobody is racing like this with nuts and guts anymore. Thats why people like Sagan, he just races, screw the team cars and radios and all the other stuff that has made the sport more boring. He will launch a surprise attack like the good old days.

Kwiatkowski did go on a long attack on Strade Bianche not too long ago. Also, how about Contador in Paris Nice? Saying 'nobody' is racing with nuts and guts anymore seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Need to find some pro Stravas but no way the run up to the finish was flat.

https://www.strava.com/activities/905223228?__prclt=mS4DNFhN

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/kwiatkowski-strava-milan-san-remo-320674?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

beeatnik
03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
https://www.strava.com/activities/905223228?__prclt=mS4DNFhN

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/kwiatkowski-strava-milan-san-remo-320674?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

yep

https://www.strava.com/segments/9107647?filter=overall

misterha
03-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Kwiatkowski did go on a long attack on Strade Bianche not too long ago. Also, how about Contador in Paris Nice? Saying 'nobody' is racing with nuts and guts anymore seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Agreed. I mean last year's Paris Roubaix was a slug fest.

PepeM
03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Oh yes, that was great.