PDA

View Full Version : Does Campy warranty in the US from U.K. Vendors?

stien
03-14-2017, 08:13 AM
We've all seen the grey market Shimano or SRAM that don't get warrantied, is campy the same way?

Elefantino
03-14-2017, 08:55 AM
No. Campy does not.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 09:29 AM
No. Campy does not.

How do they know? On the Shimano repair form it asks for a receipt. If you tell them it was a gift and you don't have a receipt, they will service, fix, replace whatever at no charge. Has happened to me on numerous occasions with shifters, pedals, etc.

Are Campy's policies different?

ultraman6970
03-14-2017, 09:42 AM
I got a problem with an ebay seller that did not want to open the warranty process for me (that so far 6 years ago or so was mandatory), called halley (or what ever is called) and explained the situation that the seller did not even want to help me and that the item was brand new.... sent them the invoices and the payment, they got me a rma number, sent the item and 4 weeks after a new item came through the mail. This was a FB lever, broke after 2 uses.

Sometimes you dont even need to lie you know. They are reasonable people after all and between you and me parts move from country to country big time and they should help you. Well you could be in a trip, have an accident... buy what you need in the UK then the part died here in the US after a couple of months, it is a possible scenery specially if you go to europe with your bike during the summer.

FlashUNC
03-14-2017, 09:45 AM
How do they know? On the Shimano repair form it asks for a receipt. If you tell them it was a gift and you don't have a receipt, they will service, fix, replace whatever at no charge. Has happened to me on numerous occasions with shifters, pedals, etc.

Are Campy's policies different?

Them pesky QR code stickers on their parts are part of that retail chain tracking, iirc.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Them pesky QR code stickers on their parts are part of that retail chain tracking, iirc.

Not on lots of Shimano parts...

Vientomas
03-14-2017, 10:07 AM

The stickers i immediately peel off because of their unsightly nature? :)

Bruce K
03-14-2017, 10:12 AM
I believe Campy tracks serial numbers.

You're probably SOL.

BK

stien
03-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, not SOL since I haven't purchased any groups from the UK! I'm just doing my research and thinking about what I want to build next. I was thinking of a round tubed, previous generation record/super record bike with boras but then thought of new Chorus from the UK.

chrisroph
03-14-2017, 10:16 AM
How many campy parts have you had warrantied?

Bostic
03-14-2017, 10:37 AM
I have some first generation Gumby shape 10 speed Veloce black and Centaur silver that I wanted to warranty but it wasn't worth the time since the parts weren't even available.

There is a local bike shop that has a big hand written note "No warranty for Planet Cyclery" for peeps that buy off ebay than show up for help.

Elefantino
03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
From Campagnolo North America:

"We have to consider any product for warranty, if it falls in the parameter of the warranty.
3 years from date of purchase and a copy of the original date of sale. Even if it was purchased thru the UK"

I stand corrected...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustyrider
03-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Wasn't there a campy wheel thread recently and someone from campy chimed in saying what is quoted above? Seems like they want to stand by their product no matter how you got your hands on it. Which makes sense to me!

oldpotatoe
03-15-2017, 04:11 AM
We've all seen the grey market Shimano or SRAM that don't get warrantied, is campy the same way?

Depends but generally no. AND most of the UK places 'self warranty' as they know they are outside of more 'normal' distribution channels.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2017, 04:12 AM
The stickers i immediately peel off because of their unsightly nature? :)

AND that's a guaranteed way to have a warranty refused, even if bought in the US, with a receipt. Unless it's planet cyclery, then no warranty even with the tracking codes.

El Chaba
03-15-2017, 05:50 AM
I have had the absolute best warranty service from Campagnolo...I got my first Campy product in 1976 at age 13.....a pair of wheels with Tipo hubs....Since then in over 300k miles of cycling with dozens of Campy components, I have never had to make a single warranty claim.

Brian Cdn
03-15-2017, 07:41 AM
I have had the absolute best warranty service from Campagnolo...I got my first Campy product in 1976 at age 13.....a pair of wheels with Tipo hubs....Since then in over 300k miles of cycling with dozens of Campy components, I have never had to make a single warranty claim.

Amen to that !

Tony T
03-15-2017, 08:02 AM
I bought a grouppo from Wiggle about 5 years ago. The warranty then said "In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred" not sure what the procedure is now, but you can check the warranty at Campy's website.

I registered the codes from the stickers on the components (5 years ago) at http://www.11speedowner.campagnolo.com and received the (extended) 4 year warranty. Campy emailed me a confirmation of this.

adub
03-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Campy does the right thing!

Companies that don't warranty on grey market purchases are comical and foolish. After all they are selling their products to known re sellers selling lower than MAP pricing, if it's that much of an issue don't sell to them?

Price fixing and protected distribution cartels are slowly but surely becoming the way of the dodo bird.

BTW- Price fixing is illegal in the UK, which it should be in the USA.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2017, 03:56 AM
Campy does the right thing!

Companies that don't warranty on grey market purchases are comical and foolish. After all they are selling their products to known re sellers selling lower than MAP pricing, if it's that much of an issue don't sell to them?

Price fixing and protected distribution cartels are slowly but surely becoming the way of the dodo bird.

BTW- Price fixing is illegal in the UK, which it should be in the USA.

Comical and foolish to try to protect their brand?

Illegal in Europe after certain agreements are signed, to refuse to sell to a reseller.

Price 'fixing' is illegal in the US too. BUT distributors can refuse to sell/resupply retailers if they sell below their MSRP. That's illegal in Europe.

The issue isn't first quality stuff, the issue is seconds/blems, etc, sold as first quality in alternative distribution channels.

peanutgallery
03-16-2017, 05:04 AM
Why should a local retailer waste their time with a product that you didn't buy from them. Expect to pay for shipping and some time at least. Many roadies would screech to the heavens about even that

As far as this whole bikehead culture thing about components and warranty,I don't get it. If you buy a Ktm and run it for an hour at the local practice track and the wheel breaks...you're buying a new wheel. High end, light stuff breaks after use because it's...well...light. You're Stone Age stuff from the to 70s and 80s didn't break because it was rudimentary and heavy. If you use a high end part for a few years and you break it, you should probably buy a new one as it owes you not a lot and served you well

Most of the warranty stuff I see is accessories or house brand stuff. As far as components. Shimano: rarely, sram: occasionally (they've improved in the last few years) and campy: never as few even use it anymore

Elefantino
03-16-2017, 05:40 AM