PDA

View Full Version : OT: 4 Days in LA...

buldogge
03-14-2017, 01:02 AM
Hey Guys...Heading out to LAX on the 21st for 4 days (with the family in tow).

They have never been to CA, and I haven't been in LA since the late 90's (OC scooter scene).

Looking for some general recommendations for where to stay, general exploring, good eats, etc.

We're just looking to check out the city (and some beach)...We will probably drive up towards SLO one day, and I would like to do a little outdoors time, maybe in the San Gabriels.

We enjoy exploring neighborhoods...we like mid-century and arts&crafts arch.

KoreaTown recommendations might be good, as we don't have much Korean in the STL. Maybe some Armenian? Dunno.

Flying out of Burbank on the 25th.

No bike time.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
03-14-2017, 01:35 AM
I'm no CA or LA expert, but have been out there a fair amount on business.

I'd vote for sightseeing along Rte 1 either north of Santa Monica or south of Seal Beach.

Or, if enough folks are into the Beach Boys or the surf sound, maybe some places related to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ

Hombre
03-14-2017, 01:47 AM
For Armenian cuisine, Glendale has plenty of spots to choose from.

For architecture, Downtown Pasadena has lots to offer with very interesting buildings and alley ways to explore with shops in every nook and cranny. You can also visit the Huntington Gardens, tons of interesting plants and Historic Structures.

While in San Gabriel, check out the the LA Arboretum. Similar to the Huntington but with tons of Wildlife. Peacocks roam the grounds and you will often see deer lurking between trees and bushes. Again, lots of Historic structures and interesting plant life.

Maybe double dip with the beach and outdoors in one day by checking out Malibu. Head out to Malibu Creek State park for scenic hikes into famous television spots like the Planet of the Apes rock wall or scenes from M.A.S.H. There's also a watering hole where you can enjoy some fun in the water or some cliff diving.
When you're done there you can head further southwest into Malibu Beach and drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. There's no shortage of places to eat. Personally I would travel a little further north and enjoy some seafood at Neptune's Net, a popular spot in part due to The Fast and Furious movie franchise.

There's too many things to name. PM me if there's something specific and I might be able to recommend something!

kppolich
03-14-2017, 05:07 AM
Swing out for #LARIVERCAMPCOFFEE and let me know how it is. I'd like to start something like that around here for pre-work bikes and coffee small talk.

http://theradavist.com/2015/11/la-river-camp-coffee/

LARCC meets every Wednesday morning at Sunnynook River Park, starting at 7AM.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Hae Jang Chon Korean BBQ Restaurant on 6th St in the heart of Koreatown is very popular. Come hungry cuz they won't stop bringing you food until you are busting at the seams.

Glendale for Armenian, Westwood for Persian ( Shamshiri on Westwood Blvd ). Great Thai restaurants all over LA as well.

The absolute best place in SoCal for mid century architecture is Palm Springs. If you want to see a different time period, the Victorians on Carroll Ave just below Dodgers Stadium are truly amazing. There are a few F L Wright homes to see around LA, if that is your thing. Greene and Greene architecture abounds in Pasadena.

Or, find a few of these homes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Study_Houses

Malibu is a great idea for both beautiful beaches and hiking. Malibu State Park is pretty cool, especially if you were a fan of MASH. If not, many other places to hike in the Santa Monica Mountain Range above Malibu.

LA is a huge city with tons of diversity with culture, architecture, food, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Enjoy!

Ken Robb
03-14-2017, 09:08 AM
How old are your kids?
The Magic Castle is great fun. It's a private club for magicians but they own a nearby motel and if you stay there you can get in the club. The catch is that I think kids are only allowed Sunday afternoon. Check out their website for info.

The Peterson Museum has a world-class collection of automobiles and related stuff.

I think SLO is too far to visit on a 4 day trip to LA.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 09:25 AM
How old are your kids?
The Magic Castle is great fun. It's a private club for magicians but they own a nearby motel and if you stay there you can get in the club. The catch is that I think kids are only allowed Sunday afternoon. Check out their website for info.

The Peterson Museum has a world-class collection of automobiles and related stuff.

I think SLO is too far to visit on a 4 day trip to LA.

So, Ken is correct about a few things ( happens on occasion)...:p

SLO is pretty far and you will spend much more time driving on the freeway than exploring. If you insist on heading far north, Santa Barbara, Ojai and Solvang are all much closer and have lots to offer.

Secondly, the Peterson Museum is spectacular if you are a car guy. Along those same lines, just down the street is LACMA and the La Brea Tar Pits. As a kid, I loved the La Brea Tar Pits. Another great landmark that I loved as a kid was the Griffith Park Observatory. And, if you are in that area, Travel Town and the LA Zoo are right there as well.

Again, it's a huge city with tons to do!

pdonk
03-14-2017, 09:32 AM
From my visit last year we had great meals at animal on Fairfax and guelaguetza on Olympic.

Animal is meat centric. Memorable dished were beef tendon with pho dip and a burger.

Guelaguetza has an amazing tequila selection and based on its website I love mole you can tell their specialty. Learned about it in the documentary city of gold.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 09:48 AM
From my visit last year we had great meals at animal on Fairfax and guelaguetza on Olympic.

Animal is meat centric. Memorable dished were beef tendon with pho dip and a burger.

Guelaguetza has an amazing tequila selection and based on its website I love mole you can tell their specialty. Learned about it in the documentary city of gold.

Guelaguetza is a great restaurant! It's food from a very specific region of Mexico: Oaxaca. It's very different than the food you would find in your run of the mill Mexican joint.

Jonathan Gold is a restaurant critic for the LA Times. The documentary "City of Gold" is all about him. It's a very interesting movie and will give you great insights into the lesser known-more diverse cultural restaurant scene in LA.

And, if you do find yourself on Fairfax, just up the street is Cantors Jewish Deli and down the block is Diamonds Jewish Bakery.

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Guelaguetza, LA's most popular Mexican restaurant, not loved by Mexicans.

OP, spend half a day in Long Beach. There's a little urban, a little hipster, a little Pasadena and a little beach. It's LA but not LA.

mosca
03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Think about San Pedro too, it's off the beaten path and much of that town is a real time-warp with a lot of old-school craftsman bungalows and such, and you can tour the USS Iowa. And the Minutemen are from there:)

Also, there are three nice Eichler neighborhoods in the city of Orange if you get down that way.

jinbok
03-14-2017, 11:30 AM
I give another vote for Hae Jang Chon - and I'm Korean :)

On Saturday, the Pedalers Fork and spot next to throws nice farmers market to check out.

I would def eat some Tacos.. Peruvian foods.. and of course Korean foods..

Take your family to Art Museums, The Broad, LACMA, MOCA, HAMMER..

Hae Jang Chon Korean BBQ Restaurant on 6th St in the heart of Koreatown is very popular. Come hungry cuz they won't stop bringing you food until you are busting at the seams.

Glendale for Armenian, Westwood for Persian ( Shamshiri on Westwood Blvd ). Great Thai restaurants all over LA as well.

The absolute best place in SoCal for mid century architecture is Palm Springs. If you want to see a different time period, the Victorians on Carroll Ave just below Dodgers Stadium are truly amazing. There are a few F L Wright homes to see around LA, if that is your thing. Greene and Greene architecture abounds in Pasadena.

Or, find a few of these homes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Study_Houses

Malibu is a great idea for both beautiful beaches and hiking. Malibu State Park is pretty cool, especially if you were a fan of MASH. If not, many other places to hike in the Santa Monica Mountain Range above Malibu.

LA is a huge city with tons of diversity with culture, architecture, food, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Enjoy!

buldogge
03-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Son is 11...kinda at that age where zoos/etc. are passé to him. He would, of course, love the amusement parks...but...we already took him to Universal FL last year...no time for that on this trip. I might go to the tar pits, as I have never been.

We have plenty of Persian and Thai, so I will stick to something different. Beeatnik, are you naying or yaying Guelaguetza?

We will drive at least up to Santa Barbara, maybe El Capitan...Are there any rock formation type beaches along that stretch from LA?

Thinking of staying near the beach in Santa Monica...since we'll be in a car, anyway. The LA Metro wasn't much of anything back when I visited more often...I assume we should still stick with a car?

I used to spend quite a bit of time in LBC, I dunno if we'll head down that way.

Definitely yes to Pasadena, Griffith, etc. Wife wants to traipse around Silver Lake.

Any particular coffee recommendations?

I'll take some time tonight to look a little closer.

TA
-Mark

buldogge
03-14-2017, 11:57 AM
I wasn't planning on heading into OC...but, i wouldn't mind checking out those Eichler neighborhoods. Pasadena should cover us on the Craftsman front.

I never saw the Minutemen, but I did see Firehose on the first tour, after D. Boon died.

-Mark

Think about San Pedro too, it's off the beaten path and much of that town is a real time-warp with a lot of old-school craftsman bungalows and such, and you can tour the USS Iowa. And the Minutemen are from there:)

Also, there are three nice Eichler neighborhoods in the city of Orange if you get down that way.

buldogge
03-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Sounds like Hae Jang Chon is the place.

I'll probably have some questions about other Korean joints...I have some article on LA Korean from a hipster magazine my wife has laying around here somewhere.

I'm sure we'll eat some tacos.

Love farmer's markets...but...we fly out on Sat.

-Mark

I give another vote for Hae Jang Chon - and I'm Korean :)

On Saturday, the Pedalers Fork and spot next to throws nice farmers market to check out.

I would def eat some Tacos.. Peruvian foods.. and of course Korean foods..

Take your family to Art Museums, The Broad, LACMA, MOCA, HAMMER..

mosca
03-14-2017, 12:14 PM
This is a good resource for modern stuff. I've gone to a few of their open-houses looking for ideas for my own remodel:

http://www.socalmodern.com/

Also this has info that might be of interest:

http://la.curbed.com/

Likewise, I saw Firehose a couple of times back in the '90s, but missed out on the Minutemen:(

stackie
03-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Intelligentsia is always good for coffee. Venice, Pasadena and Silver Lake.

Verve coffee just set up shop there. I'm familiar with them from Santa Cruz. They are absolutely top notch.

Took my kids to La Brea tar pits at 10 and 12 and they enjoyed.

MB post is good meal in Manhattan Beach. Pricey but good.

Pizzeria Mozza also good.

If you go to Santa Barbara, don't miss La Super Rica for Mexican. It's a dive, but super popular. Julia Child quoted saying "I would walk barefoot from LA for Super Rica"

Jon

false_Aest
03-14-2017, 12:48 PM
https://www.yelp.com/biz/oo-kook-korean-bbq-los-angeles
Best Korean I've had.

http://dintaifungusa.com/
Not like Taiwan but still effin delicious!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sapp-coffee-shop-los-angeles (https://www.yelp.com/biz/sapp-coffee-shop-los-angeles)
Looks dirty but it's amazing.

ptourkin
03-14-2017, 01:48 PM
I wasn't planning on heading into OC...but, i wouldn't mind checking out those Eichler neighborhoods. Pasadena should cover us on the Craftsman front.

I never saw the Minutemen, but I did see Firehose on the first tour, after D. Boon died.

-Mark

D is buried in the same cemetery as Bukowski in San Pedro. I have pics at their graves. I saw the Minutemen many times.

Do whatever Beeatnik says in LA. He knows stuff.

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 02:05 PM
If you go to Santa Barbara, don't miss La Super Rica for Mexican. It's a dive, but super popular. Julia Child quoted saying "I would walk barefoot from LA for Super Rica"

Jon

Another Mexican restaurant not popular with Mexicans.

Ok, if I were visiting LA with kids and if I knew what I know as a lifelong LA resident and a former kid (wrap your mind around that twisted syntax), I'd avoid The Outdoor Shopping Mall LA Streetscape. That means, no Pasadena, no Melrose, no Santa Monica-Third Street Promenade. I'd also avoid "highly rated" restaurants; they're all disappointing, out here. Obviously, kids like crowds and activity. And the beach is the beach. So do this:

Avoid Santa Monica, go to Hermosa Beach (with a nice drive through PV into San Pedro for cheesy port fun).

Avoid Pasadena and go to DTLA. Everyone loves the Broad and you can drive 5 minutes East (while seeing the emerging Arts/Loft District) to see how working class Mexican-Americans (60% of Los Angeles) live and eat (definitely not Super Rica style).

Avoid Melrose (does anyone go there anymore?) and bounce around Sunset Blvd from Echo Park to Silver Lake. End with lunch on Vermont and a trip into Griffith Park.

On the periphery and if you enjoy being a car. Check out one of the world's largest chinese communities in the San Gabriel Valley. There's a 2 mile stretch of Colima Rd where you won't see a sign in english. 30 min from DTLA.

If you're an early riser, there are a ton of brunch spots on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks. Great people watching and less superficial (a tiny bit) than the Westside.

cadence90
03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
.... ..

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 02:26 PM
A drive up Hwy 1 to Ventura (beach); then east on Hwy 33 to Ojai (beautiful); then south on Hwy 150 (stop at Boccali's Ojai (http://boccalis.com/index.html) (not the Oak View location) at 150/Reeves Road for pizza/beer); then back to Pasadena (150 to 126 to 5-South to Pasadena), is a great, if day-long drive. Beach, California oaks, and pizza is not a bad combo.

In Pasadena, since you like Arts and Crafts architecture, the Gamble House, Greene and Greene (http://gamblehouse.org/greene-greene/) is a must-see. You can visit the outside/grounds any time, but call ahead to see when they offer tours of the interior.

In Santa Monica, the other iconic LA home must-see is the Eames House (http://eamesfoundation.org/visit/how-to-visit/). As above, one can visit the grounds any time, but you must call ahead for interior visits/tour.

I agree with beeatnik re: Long Beach, and the 2 restaurants. Good, but nothing so great unless they are convenient to you.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Adding in Boccali is brilliant. Amazing mom and pop Italian food. And, the drive is one I have done many times in my Porsche.

Not sure I agree with Beatnik on many of his takes on things. I think because we are one or two generations apart. I'm old. But again, this is what is so amazing about LA. It is very diverse.

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 02:42 PM
^I don't think it's a generational thing. It may be a transplant thing. There's native LA and there's the LA where people with great jobs end up (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Lincoln Corridor, PDR.

Also, there's the "Photographed/Filmed LA" and the "Real LA." A generation past, people were looking to SEE the few sights (Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood Sign, Studios) and now people are looking to have experiences (eat, play, people watch).

If I were a kid (who will probably not own a car until her late 20s), I'd rather watch the Silver Lake streetscape than stare at the ocean from a restaurant in Marina Del Rey.

In any case, OP, the architectural tour thing is tough. You'll be driving 30 min to see half a block of interesting buildings. If I were you, I'd explore the West Adams area. The University of Southern California has helped revitalize that community more than any developer or politician. Tons of architectural diversity as well.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 02:57 PM
^I don't think it's a generational thing. It may be a transplant thing. There's native LA and there's the LA where people with great jobs end up (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Lincoln Corridor, PDR.

I'm second generation Angelino. My mom grew up in Boyle Heights when it was a nice suburb of downtown. I grew up in Encino and moved to the Westside in my 20's. My father was an architect for the LADWP. He took me all over LA as a kid. I've lived, worked and seen a whole lot of LA in the 58 years I've lived here. Also, spending 35 years working on movie and TV sets, I have seen more of LA than most.

Also, there's the "Photographed/Filmed LA" and the "Real LA." A generation past, people were looking to SEE the few sights (Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood Sign, Studios) and now people are looking to have experiences (eat, play, people watch).

I truly don't think you can assume what any given tourist might want to see- do- experience while they are visiting here.

If I were a kid (who will probably not own a car until her late 20s), I'd rather watch the Silver Lake streetscape than stare at the ocean from a restaurant in Marina Del Rey.

Again, that is you. People are as diverse as LA is. Different experiences for different people.

In any case, OP, the architectural tour thing is tough. You'll be driving 30 min to see half a block of interesting buildings. If I were you, I'd explore the West Adams area. The University of Southern California has helped revitalize that community more than any developer or politician. Tons of architectural diversity as well.

The West Adams area doesn't have the style of architecture you are looking for. Pasadena for Greene and Greene ( there is also a F. L. Wright tucked away on a small street in Pasadena). It's very cool. And, if you can get to the Eames house, you will see 3 iconic mid century houses on the same block.

Enjoy!

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 03:03 PM
The West Adams area doesn't have the style of architecture you are looking for. Pasadena for Greene and Greene ( there is also a F. L. Wright tucked away on a small street in Pasadena). It's very cool. And, if you can get to the Eames house, you will see 3 iconic mid century houses on the same block.

Enjoy!

http://preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/la/west-adams-terrace

The first significant wave of residential development in West Adams consisted of businessmen and their families, who wanted to move out of central Los Angeles, yet remain within easy commuting distance of downtown. Single family homes in the HPOZ range in size and style from modest Victorian-era cottages to early 20th century Craftsman and Mission Revival bungalows to larger Period Revival and Classical styles. Many of the houses were designed by recognized architects and builders including Frank Tyler, Hunt and Burns, Frank Meline, Paul R. Williams, and E.L. Petitfils.

http://preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/la/jefferson-park

Often referred to by locals as “The Bungalows,” the Jefferson Park neighborhood is perhaps one of the City’s finest examples of both an early street car suburb, and the proliferation of the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 1900s, in the form of simple, yet elegant, single-story bungalows for the growing middle class. Fanciful eaves, intricate wood work, turrets, stone, masonry and shingle are displayed in ways that defy the modest scale of these houses and make the many streets of this vast district instantly charming.

http://preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/la/harvard-heights

Harvard Heights HPOZ is predominantly characterized by two-story Craftsman-style residences built from 1902 to 1908. The large and somewhat grand scale of architecture is due to a land covenant that stipulated that houses built within the tract cost more than $2,500, a substantial sum at the turn of the century.

Boyle Heights was never a suburb, btw.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 03:12 PM

The first significant wave of residential development in West Adams consisted of businessmen and their families, who wanted to move out of central Los Angeles, yet remain within easy commuting distance of downtown. Single family homes in the HPOZ range in size and style from modest Victorian-era cottages to early 20th century Craftsman and Mission Revival bungalows to larger Period Revival and Classical styles. Many of the houses were designed by recognized architects and builders including Frank Tyler, Hunt and Burns, Frank Meline, Paul R. Williams, and E.L. Petitfils.

Often referred to by locals as “The Bungalows,” the Jefferson Park neighborhood is perhaps one of the City’s finest examples of both an early street car suburb, and the proliferation of the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 1900s, in the form of simple, yet elegant, single-story bungalows for the growing middle class. Fanciful eaves, intricate wood work, turrets, stone, masonry and shingle are displayed in ways that defy the modest scale of these houses and make the many streets of this vast district instantly charming.

Harvard Heights HPOZ is predominantly characterized by two-story Craftsman-style residences built from 1902 to 1908. The large and somewhat grand scale of architecture is due to a land covenant that stipulated that houses built within the tract cost more than $2,500, a substantial sum at the turn of the century.

Boyle Heights was never a suburb, btw..

Remember, I'm old. My mom grew up in LA in the 1920's when Boyle Heights and Pasadena were suburbs of downtown and Hancock Park was the Beverly Hills of LA before Beverly Hills.

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Remember, I'm old. My mom grew up in LA in the 1920's when Boyle Heights and Pasadena were suburbs of downtown and Hancock Park was the Beverly Hills of LA before Beverly Hills.

Of course, and I'm not a pedant, but Boyle Heights is so misunderstood. I grew up there and there were traces of it's former "vibrancy" or diversity; a few Japanese families on my block. And, yet, it was called the West Coast Ellis Island for a reason. In any case, in the 20's, if you were Jewish and middle class, you lived in the hills of City Terrace, east of Boyle Heights.

buldogge
03-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Only interested in Pasadena for the Arts & Crafts architecture.

Love the rest of the suggestions.

Any specific taco joints to check out?

Where to stay...now that is the question!?

Early risers...yes. Getting family motivated...no.

-Mark

Another Mexican restaurant not popular with Mexicans.

Ok, if I were visiting LA with kids and if I knew what I know as a lifelong LA resident and a former kid (wrap your mind around that twisted syntax), I'd avoid The Outdoor Shopping Mall LA Streetscape. That means, no Pasadena, no Melrose, no Santa Monica-Third Street Promenade. I'd also avoid "highly rated" restaurants; they're all disappointing, out here. Obviously, kids like crowds and activity. And the beach is the beach. So do this:

Avoid Santa Monica, go to Hermosa Beach (with a nice drive through PV into San Pedro for cheesy port fun).

Avoid Pasadena and go to DTLA. Everyone loves the Broad and you can drive 5 minutes East (while seeing the emerging Arts/Loft District) to see how working class Mexican-Americans (60% of Los Angeles) live and eat (definitely not Super Rica style).

Avoid Melrose (does anyone go there anymore?) and bounce around Sunset Blvd from Echo Park to Silver Lake. End with lunch on Vermont and a trip into Griffith Park.

On the periphery and if you enjoy being a car. Check out one of the world's largest chinese communities in the San Gabriel Valley. There's a 2 mile stretch of Colima Rd where you won't see a sign in english. 30 min from DTLA.

If you're an early riser, there are a ton of brunch spots on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks. Great people watching and less superficial (a tiny bit) than the Westside.

fuzzalow
03-14-2017, 03:31 PM
West coast is so weird.

There, I finally got to return the favor.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Of course, and I'm not a pedant, but Boyle Heights is so misunderstood. I grew up there and there were traces of it's former "vibrancy" or diversity; a few Japanese families on my block. And, yet, it was called the West Coast Ellis Island for a reason. In any case, in the 20's, if you were Jewish and middle class, you lived in the hills of City Terrace, east of Boyle Heights.

My mom was Jewish and middle class. She grew up in Boyle Heights. Even graduated from Roosevelt High School. She used to speak fondly of it. Very different than what it is today.

Beatnik, when are we gonna meet? Go for a ride sometime? You ever get out my way? Maybe even get Tommy to come out and ride with me again. Check out some lithe women pro beach volleyball players or something.

buldogge
03-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Good stuff...Thanks again guys!

We don't get to the beach often, so staying by the beach would probably be a good idea...Thoughts?

-Mark

A drive up Hwy 1 to Ventura (beach); then east on Hwy 33 to Ojai (beautiful); then south on Hwy 150 (stop at Boccali's Ojai (http://boccalis.com/index.html) (not the Oak View location) at 150/Reeves Road for pizza/beer); then back to Pasadena (150 to 126 to 5-South to Pasadena), is a great, if day-long drive. Beach, California oaks, and pizza is not a bad combo.

In Pasadena, since you like Arts and Crafts architecture, the Gamble House, Greene and Greene (http://gamblehouse.org/greene-greene/) is a must-see. You can visit the outside/grounds any time, but call ahead to see when they offer tours of the interior.

In Santa Monica, the other iconic LA home must-see is the Eames House (http://eamesfoundation.org/visit/how-to-visit/). As above, one can visit the grounds any time, but you must call ahead for interior visits/tour.

I agree with beeatnik re: Long Beach, and the 2 restaurants. Good, but nothing so great unless they are convenient to you.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Adding in Boccali is brilliant. Amazing mom and pop Italian food. And, the drive is one I have done many times in my Porsche.

Not sure I agree with Beatnik on many of his takes on things. I think because we are one or two generations apart. I'm old. But again, this is what is so amazing about LA. It is very diverse.

Boyle Heights was never a suburb, btw.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Only interested in Pasadena for the Arts & Crafts architecture.

Love the rest of the suggestions.

Any specific taco joints to check out?

Where to stay...now that is the question!?

Early risers...yes. Getting family motivated...no.

-Mark

Don't forget to see this house when you are in Pasadena:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millard_House

Where you stay will depend on what you want to see and your budget. L A is huge, so you probably want to be centrally located to the different areas you want to see.

Figure that out and get back to us.....:p

cadence90
03-14-2017, 04:02 PM
.... ..

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 04:07 PM
This is the definitive carry-along guidebook to architecture in Los Angeles and Southern California (https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Architecture-Angeles-Southern-California/dp/0879050497). If you do not want to buy it I'm sure your library has a copy. It is a very useful book.

The Gamble House and a few other G&G houses in that immediate area are the ticket for LA Craftsman style, definitely.

FLLW's nearby "carpet block" Millard House ("La Miniatura", that SoCalSteve mentioned (never accessible, can only be seen from the outside)) and his Ennis House (Blade Runner; tours may be available, I can't remember) are also worth it if you're in the area. Also beautiful are homes by Neutra and Schindler, but as beeatnik stated those are just too far between them to make it worthwhile unless you are an architect/diehard.

I definitely recommend the Eames house in any case; not only is the building beautiful and iconic, and the address very accessible, but it has one of the greatest views/lots of any residence in LA.

I'll second this 100 times over! I've been in the house on a tour. It's amazing! Plus, as a bonus...there are 2 more iconic mid century modern homes on the same cul de sac. Look up the Case Study Houses. 3 of them on the same block.

cadence90
03-14-2017, 04:10 PM
.... ..

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 04:16 PM
https://www.tripline.net/trip/See_LA's_Architecture_Designed_by_Pritzker_Prize_W inners_-1025352203421004A2A0B907C7D01B16

cadence90
03-14-2017, 04:16 PM
.... ..

Louis
03-14-2017, 04:28 PM
If there's interest in architecture and anyone in the crowd likes the movie Blade Runner, how about the Bradbury building?

https://www.laconservancy.org/locations/bradbury-building

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7090/7141537019_dd3760da98_b.jpg

http://www.brmovie.com/Images/Locations/br_bradbury_balcony.jpg

ptourkin
03-14-2017, 04:40 PM

I grew up on the Westside (the South Bay actually) and feel I didn't learn **** about LA until I headed East chasing punk rock and tacos (we thought Tito's was the end all be all - it wasn't.) Haven't had any interest in going back to my hometown since. I stay East of Griffith Park. That said, if you're from the Midwest with kids, the beach is tempting and easy entertainment. Beyond that, it's a wasteland.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 05:01 PM
I've always wanted to stay here: http://www.marinadelreyhotel.com

I have eaten in their fancy restaurant. It was very nice. I've ridden my bike by it many times and my wife and I walk by it often.

Not sure how expensive it is, but it sure looks nice!

Many nice hotels on Ocean Ave. in Santa Monica as well. Lots of places to chose from at the beach.

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 05:10 PM
I grew up on the Westside (the South Bay actually) and feel I didn't learn **** about LA until I headed East chasing punk rock and tacos (we thought Tito's was the end all be all - it wasn't.) Haven't had any interest in going back to my hometown since. I stay East of Griffith Park. That said, if you're from the Midwest with kids, the beach is tempting and easy entertainment. Beyond that, it's a wasteland.

Tito's, hahahhaha.

LA is an ugly city. IMO, only Vegas is uglier (for cities with a population of 1M plus). But LA is an amorphous thing and people who live on the coast (Coast) dont think LA is ugly.

SoCalSteve
03-14-2017, 05:16 PM
Tito's, hahahhaha.

LA is an ugly city. IMO, only Vegas is uglier (for cities with a population of 1M plus). But LA is an amorphous thing and people who live on the coast (Coast) dont think LA is ugly.

I guess it being amorphous is one of the things I find so attractive about LA.

As I get older, I tend to judge less and keep an open mind about the world around me. Tito's Taco's one night, the Guerrilla Taco Truck another and Campos another night. All good in very different ways. But all are good in their own way. All have their place in the world of taco's.

Oh, you are correct about living on the coast and not thinking it's ugly. Just look out my window from the 7th floor of my condo ( the ocean, the Marina with bobbing boats and spectacular sunsets many nights of the week ) ...:banana:

beeatnik
03-14-2017, 05:30 PM
I guess it being amorphous is one of the things I find so attractive about LA.

As I get older, I tend to judge less and keep an open mind about the world around me. Tito's Taco's one night, the Guerrilla Taco Truck another and Campos another night. All good in very different ways. But all are good in their own way. All have their place in the world of taco's.

Oh, you are correct about living on the coast and not thinking it's ugly. Just look out my window from the 7th floor of my condo ( the ocean, the Marina with bobbing boats and spectacular sunsets many nights of the week ) ...:banana:

One of LA's cultural treasures/gifts is its Taco Culture. I spent a few years in Mexico and what they serve at Tito's (especially the hard shell tacos) would be considered alien abominations. That said many Chicanos I know love Tito's. And, you're right, there's room in LA's gastronomic heart for Gringo Tacos, Korean Fusion Tacos, South Central Sidewalk Tacos and Taco Truck "Soft" Tacos. In a way, none of it is "genuine" as very few Mexicans (in Mexico) regularly eat the types of tacos we see in LA. I never had beef (carne asada) in a taco until I was 9. Short story long, we're not snobs about our Tacos the way New York is about its Pizza. One thing is inarguable: the best tacos in America are in Los Angeles.

buldogge
03-16-2017, 09:17 AM
I ended up with a little walkway bungalow in Venice, off AirBnB, and I just need to grab something near Burbank for Friday night (early flight Sat.).

Since we're staying in Venice...any specific recommendation for MdR, Venice, Santa Monica for food/coffee would be great.

We'll be checking out Echo Park/Silver Lake/Griffith.

We'll be checking out the Eames house for sure, and try to take in some G&G/Pasadena/+FLW, and perhaps some CS houses if we have time. Beeatnik's preservation links look excellent, as well.

On Friday we're going to head up towards SB, via 1 + 101, and then thru Ojai, as recommended...ending in Burbank for the night.

For sure eating in KoreTown and Little Armenia...any other/specific recommendation more than welcome...Also stand-out coffee places, wherever. Don't want to start a generational taco war, but suggestions are welcome!

Right now, looks like the weather is conspiring against us for Tues. and Wed.

TA
-Mark

SoCalSteve
03-16-2017, 09:38 AM
I ended up with a little walkway bungalow in Venice, off AirBnB, and I just need to grab something near Burbank for Friday night (early flight Sat.).

Since we're staying in Venice...any specific recommendation for MdR, Venice, Santa Monica for food/coffee would be great.

We'll be checking out Echo Park/Silver Lake/Griffith.

We'll be checking out the Eames house for sure, and try to take in some G&G/Pasadena/+FLW, and perhaps some CS houses if we have time. Beeatnik's preservation links look excellent, as well.

On Friday we're going to head up towards SB, via 1 + 101, and then thru Ojai, as recommended...ending in Burbank for the night.

For sure eating in KoreTown and Little Armenia...any other/specific recommendation more than welcome...Also stand-out coffee places, wherever. Don't want to start a generational taco war, but suggestions are welcome!

Right now, looks like the weather is conspiring against us for Tues. and Wed.

TA
-Mark

Coffee in Venice: https://www.groundworkcoffee.com on Rose.

Nice restaurants, interesting scene on Abbott Kinney in Venice.

Local taco joint where the gardners go: Campos Tacos on Washington in Culver City ( very close to Venice ).

Canal streets in Venice: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_Canal_Historic_District

Interesting Frank Geary houses and buildings in Venice and Santa Monica: http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Venice_Beach_House.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehry_Residence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binoculars_Building

I don't think you will find the weather anywhere as severe as in the Midwest.

Enjoy!

buldogge
03-16-2017, 11:40 AM
RE: Weather...Not severe, just gray and rain...

That's not very SoCal! ;)

Thanks,

-Mark

livingminimal
03-16-2017, 12:02 PM
I know tons about OC (Ive lived here my whole life) and tons about SLO (I spend loads of time up there).

If you want ride details or tourism info, just PM me.

beeatnik
03-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Coffee in Venice: https://www.groundworkcoffee.com on Rose.

Nice restaurants, interesting scene on Abbott Kinney in Venice.

Local taco joint where the gardners go: Campos Tacos on Washington in Culver City ( very close to Venice ).

Canal streets in Venice: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_Canal_Historic_District

Interesting Frank Geary houses and buildings in Venice and Santa Monica: http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Venice_Beach_House.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehry_Residence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binoculars_Building

I don't think you will find the weather anywhere as severe as in the Midwest.

Enjoy!

100x yes to AK
100x yes to Canal Streets in Venice and even MDR
100x no to Campos. Getting tacos there would be like only going to Ray's in NYC.

Check out La Estrella on York since you'll be in Highland Park
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/10-best-restaurants-in-highland-park-5079572

A taco truck as the No. 1 spot? Well, yes. In fact, we probably could have made this entire list up of taco trucks, because Highland Park boasts some of the absolute best in town, and Tacos La Estrella stands out even among stiff competition. For $1.40, you get two or three of the best bites of food you could ask for. The meats are tender and delicious, the tortillas warm and sweet, the salsa tangy and smoky, the onion and cilantro scattered in just the right way. There's a particular magic to a perfect street taco, and La Estrella has it down. No wonder it has thrived on this York Boulevard corner for more than 20 years. Here's to 20 more.

If you want a more "elaborate" yet authentic Mexican meal, try El Huarache Azteca, also on York. Cash only, quirky as only Chilangos can be (Chilango = resident of Mexico City).

As for "Little Armenia," well, even Armenians avoid that area. And don't waste time in Glendale (largest immigrant Armenian community in the US). But if you want an Armenian experience, check this place out:

http://edengardenbarandgrill.com/mediterranean-cuisine/

buldogge
03-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Thanks.

I can avoid Little Armenia...I just need some decent lamacun!...literally, not available in the STL.

-Mark

100x yes to AK
100x yes to Canal Streets in Venice and even MDR
100x no to Campos. Getting tacos there would be like only going to Ray's in NYC.

Check out La Estrella on York since you'll be in Highland Park
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/10-best-restaurants-in-highland-park-5079572

A taco truck as the No. 1 spot? Well, yes. In fact, we probably could have made this entire list up of taco trucks, because Highland Park boasts some of the absolute best in town, and Tacos La Estrella stands out even among stiff competition. For $1.40, you get two or three of the best bites of food you could ask for. The meats are tender and delicious, the tortillas warm and sweet, the salsa tangy and smoky, the onion and cilantro scattered in just the right way. There's a particular magic to a perfect street taco, and La Estrella has it down. No wonder it has thrived on this York Boulevard corner for more than 20 years. Here's to 20 more.

If you want a more "elaborate" yet authentic Mexican meal, try El Huarache Azteca, also on York. Cash only, quirky as only Chilangos can be (Chilango = resident of Mexico City).

As for "Little Armenia," well, even Armenians avoid that area. And don't waste time in Glendale (largest immigrant Armenian community in the US). But if you want an Armenian experience, check this place out:

http://edengardenbarandgrill.com/mediterranean-cuisine/

Louis
03-16-2017, 09:54 PM
One of Mark's vacation pictures from CA:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6f/76/47/6f7647428d34a1036f9b4b37018bad82.jpg

SoCalSteve
03-16-2017, 10:42 PM
One of Mark's vacation pictures from CA:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6f/76/47/6f7647428d34a1036f9b4b37018bad82.jpg

Seen daily...:D

tylercheung
03-17-2017, 12:37 AM
i'm a transplant to LA so not as in-depth as some folks, here are my 2 cents

-never thought of my area (Pasadena) as that "hip" but so be it...Old Town is decent and convenient to hang around.

-Speaking of Jonathan Gold - he is known for highlighting a lot of the ethnic/off the beaten path cuisines. If you want to venture into K town, or San Gabriel/Alhambra/Monterey park for Sichuanese, hunanese, shanghainese, or cantonese food, read his column in the LA Times or LA Weekly.... The problem is, K town is near, and convenient; the other stuff is all the way over by Pasadena

-FLWright - I think a lot of his places are private residences, but the Barnesdale Art Park is a quick 1 hr jaunt in sunset/silverlake area.

Venice, Manhattan beach, SM area food- I like Gjellina in AK (Italian), but there are a lot of good places. Father's office for beer/burgers in Santa Monica. There were a few other places there that were not bad, can't remember, Cassia for American/Viet food hybrid? If you want to trek to Manhattan Beach, Little Sister and Fishing w/ Dynamite are good. Intelligentsia in AK. If in SM, might as well head to the Getty for a few hrs.

N/Naka is near SM, in Culver City, and is probably one of the greatest restaurants in America...but impossible to get a table. There are a few legendary sushi places around in the SM, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood area...just c an't remember which ones... (LA also is one of the largest concentration of Japanese Americans in the US, I think),

Echo Park/Silverlake/etc - there's an Intelligentsia there, I would say my favorite places are Night Market + Song (Thai), Pine and Crane (Taiwanese), L & E Oyster Bar, Black Hogg, there's also Cafe Stella which is OK, standard French Bistro stuff. Echoplex and a few other dive places for live music. Hotel Cafe is near-ish there. Providence is near as well, which apparently has been the highest rated restaurant in LA for a while but that is expensive. New Daw Yee myanmar place for burmese, i'd check that out if you can...lots of boutiques and places to walk around...

The drive-route I would suggest for Friday would be go thru Ojai first, then up Rt 33 all the way up to Rt 166, head west, then south on 101, then go east 246 thru solvang, then down 154 to santa barbara. Get dinner in SB - tons of great places downtown, I like Sama Sama Noodle Bar, but there are a lot of options. There may be wineries along the way but I'm not the expert in those (it's a mini-wine country area). Then you can head back on 101 at your leisure.

K-town: don't remember too well, maybe Ook Kook for all you can eat BBQ, Park's BBQ for the nicer meat, Beverly Tofu for nice savory tofu-stew, um, um, there's this boiled pork place nearby, but I can't remember, Kobawoo House or something like that, Ham Ji Park for pork stew, Seongbukdong for sweet braised ribs.

Coffee - Verve has been mentioned, that's in west hollywood on 3rd street which has a few nice places to walk around (near Melrose Place!), Go Get Em Tiger which has branches on LArchmont at Hancock Park(near K-town) and Downtown LA (if you go downtown, Grand Central Market is worth a stop, also across the street from the Bradbury Building which is famous in Blade Runner). Stumptown has a location in the DLTA Arts district, and Intelligentsia in PAsadena/Silverlake/AK. For architecture, I would also nominate DTLA - ignore the run down street fronts but soaring high up are some might impressive art deco and modernist skyscraper architecture...

If you do end up trekking to Pasadena, agree w/ Gamble house, Huntington Lib, Norton Simon museum, eats: Union for italian, Racion for spanish, Lost at Sea for seafood, The Raymond/1886 for drinks, red taco truck that parks nightly at the Nishiwa Autor Repair lot on Fair Oaks, Takuya or Ramen Tetsunoya for Japanese, Golden Deli/Vietnam House/Vietnam for Viet food, Chengdu Taste or Sichuan Impressions for Sichiuanese, Hunan Mao for Hunanese, Din Tai Fung or Hou Tou Xiang for dumplings, Daw Yee Myanmar Cafe (might have a new location in silver lake) for burmese, um, there's a bunch I'm probably forgetting.

Alternate suggestions: rather than Griffith (more history, touristy, Rebel w/o a Cause, Hollywood sign, yada, yada), can consider driving up Angeles Crest to Mount Wilson Observatory...much better views, may see some cyclists up that way.

Hikes: Mount Wilson Observatory Road, Eaton Canyon, Millard Canyon, Altadena Crest, Temescal Canyon, anything in Malibu...

Beach: my favorite is Point Dume in Malibu although you will have plenty in venice/manhattan/hermosa

Note, I just realized; some of the above suggestions may not be kid friendly....

Note 2: sorry, got carried away.

cadence90
03-17-2017, 01:04 AM

For a "transplant", that's a great write-up. A lot of very good suggestions.

A few things:
I don't really see the current appeal of AK "Boulevard" per se, but I guess a lot of people like the current iteration. As a walk/shop/gaze/eat street I do agree that it is 1000x better than 3rd Street Promenade, etc.

Jonathan Gold: ex-architect turned successful food critic...if only I too...I enjoy his recommendations.

M/Naka: the Netflix film (Chef's Mind or something) was great; she seems great; I have not yet been there. :(

Getty = great. Barnsdall = meh.
Huntington + Gamble + Norton Simon = 6 stars! Great grouping!

Father's Office is a good recommendation, as long as it is as fun as it was 15 years ago...it sure was fun then, after work on a Friday....

Your "Alternative/Hikes/Beach" recs are the best so far, imo. Point Dume...wow. + Zuma Beach and Neil Young.

The kids would love Boccali's outside of Ojai, from whichever direction. ;)

beeatnik
03-17-2017, 08:26 AM

A few things:
I don't really see the current appeal of AK "Boulevard" per se, but I guess a lot of people like the current iteration. As a walk/shop/gaze/eat street I do agree that it is 1000x better than 3rd Street Promenade, etc.

Jonathan Gold: ex-architect turned successful food critic...if only I too...I enjoy his recommendations.

AK 2000 > AK Present. Miss you Tortilla Grill, Joe's, Soul Food and all the Mid-Century Modern dealers. Now, you have Intelli, a few high end restaurants and spots where you can buy $500 jeans. Euros and Rapha love it!

buldogge
03-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys...More great stuff!

I'm going to cross-reference some of the K-Town suggestions to that article I was talking about, later tonight...see what you guys have to say!

TA
-Mark

-never thought of my area (Pasadena) as that "hip" but so be it...Old Town is decent and convenient to hang around.

-Speaking of Jonathan Gold - he is known for highlighting a lot of the ethnic/off the beaten path cuisines. If you want to venture into K town, or San Gabriel/Alhambra/Monterey park for Sichuanese, hunanese, shanghainese, or cantonese food, read his column in the LA Times or LA Weekly.... The problem is, K town is near, and convenient; the other stuff is all the way over by Pasadena

-FLWright - I think a lot of his places are private residences, but the Barnesdale Art Park is a quick 1 hr jaunt in sunset/silverlake area.

Venice, Manhattan beach, SM area food- I like Gjellina in AK (Italian), but there are a lot of good places. Father's office for beer/burgers in Santa Monica. There were a few other places there that were not bad, can't remember, Cassia for American/Viet food hybrid? If you want to trek to Manhattan Beach, Little Sister and Fishing w/ Dynamite are good. Intelligentsia in AK. If in SM, might as well head to the Getty for a few hrs.

N/Naka is near SM, in Culver City, and is probably one of the greatest restaurants in America...but impossible to get a table. There are a few legendary sushi places around in the SM, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood area...just c an't remember which ones... (LA also is one of the largest concentration of Japanese Americans in the US, I think),

Echo Park/Silverlake/etc - there's an Intelligentsia there, I would say my favorite places are Night Market + Song (Thai), Pine and Crane (Taiwanese), L & E Oyster Bar, Black Hogg, there's also Cafe Stella which is OK, standard French Bistro stuff. Echoplex and a few other dive places for live music. Hotel Cafe is near-ish there. Providence is near as well, which apparently has been the highest rated restaurant in LA for a while but that is expensive. New Daw Yee myanmar place for burmese, i'd check that out if you can...lots of boutiques and places to walk around...

The drive-route I would suggest for Friday would be go thru Ojai first, then up Rt 33 all the way up to Rt 166, head west, then south on 101, then go east 246 thru solvang, then down 154 to santa barbara. Get dinner in SB - tons of great places downtown, I like Sama Sama Noodle Bar, but there are a lot of options. There may be wineries along the way but I'm not the expert in those (it's a mini-wine country area). Then you can head back on 101 at your leisure.

K-town: don't remember too well, maybe Ook Kook for all you can eat BBQ, Park's BBQ for the nicer meat, Beverly Tofu for nice savory tofu-stew, um, um, there's this boiled pork place nearby, but I can't remember, Kobawoo House or something like that, Ham Ji Park for pork stew, Seongbukdong for sweet braised ribs.

Coffee - Verve has been mentioned, that's in west hollywood on 3rd street which has a few nice places to walk around (near Melrose Place!), Go Get Em Tiger which has branches on LArchmont at Hancock Park(near K-town) and Downtown LA (if you go downtown, Grand Central Market is worth a stop, also across the street from the Bradbury Building which is famous in Blade Runner). Stumptown has a location in the DLTA Arts district, and Intelligentsia in PAsadena/Silverlake/AK. For architecture, I would also nominate DTLA - ignore the run down street fronts but soaring high up are some might impressive art deco and modernist skyscraper architecture...

If you do end up trekking to Pasadena, agree w/ Gamble house, Huntington Lib, Norton Simon museum, eats: Union for italian, Racion for spanish, Lost at Sea for seafood, The Raymond/1886 for drinks, red taco truck that parks nightly at the Nishiwa Autor Repair lot on Fair Oaks, Takuya or Ramen Tetsunoya for Japanese, Golden Deli/Vietnam House/Vietnam for Viet food, Chengdu Taste or Sichuan Impressions for Sichiuanese, Hunan Mao for Hunanese, Din Tai Fung or Hou Tou Xiang for dumplings, Daw Yee Myanmar Cafe (might have a new location in silver lake) for burmese, um, there's a bunch I'm probably forgetting.

Alternate suggestions: rather than Griffith (more history, touristy, Rebel w/o a Cause, Hollywood sign, yada, yada), can consider driving up Angeles Crest to Mount Wilson Observatory...much better views, may see some cyclists up that way.

Hikes: Mount Wilson Observatory Road, Eaton Canyon, Millard Canyon, Altadena Crest, Temescal Canyon, anything in Malibu...

Beach: my favorite is Point Dume in Malibu although you will have plenty in venice/manhattan/hermosa

Note, I just realized; some of the above suggestions may not be kid friendly....

Note 2: sorry, got carried away.

A few things:

M/Naka: the Netflix film (Chef's Mind or something) was great; she seems great; I have not yet been there. :(

Getty = great. Barnsdall = meh.
Huntington + Gamble + Norton Simon = 6 stars! Great grouping!

Father's Office is a good recommendation, as long as it is as fun as it was 15 years ago...it sure was fun then, after work on a Friday....

Your "Alternative/Hikes/Beach" recs are the best so far, imo. Point Dume...wow. + Zuma Beach and Neil Young.

The kids would love Boccali's outside of Ojai, from whichever direction. ;)

JasonF
03-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Since you're in Venice with the kiddies Centanni Trattoria is a local-ish Italian joint that has something for everyone. Been there many times on the way back-and-forth between LAX and USC.

cadence90
03-17-2017, 02:43 PM
AK 2000 > AK Present. Miss you Tortilla Grill, Joe's, Soul Food and all the Mid-Century Modern dealers. Now, you have Intelli, a few high end restaurants and spots where you can buy $500 jeans. Euros and Rapha love it!

Agree 100%.

Joe's was so good. Whatever happened to that place? Did they shutter or move?

SoCalSteve
03-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Agree 100%.

Joe's was so good. Whatever happened to that place? Did they shutter or move?

Just a google search away: http://la.eater.com/2016/1/29/10873962/joes-restaurant-to-close-after-a-24-year-run-in-venice

And yeah, I ate there many times. Excellent!

beeatnik
03-17-2017, 03:56 PM
^Joe's had the best brunch in LA. Only Hotel Bel Air could compete and mainly on location.

At least Hal's is still open. And The Brig, kind of.

livingminimal
03-17-2017, 03:59 PM
AK is not something to go out of your way for.

Blue Star Donuts, located on AK, is worth the trip.

As was the Rapha popup.

Shadddup Beat.

beeatnik
03-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Ya, Rapha and Linus :rolleyes:

As was the Rapha popup.

Shadddup Beat.

cadence90
03-17-2017, 04:59 PM
@bulldogge, all this AK chatter reminded me: since you will be staying in Venice, if you/yours like pizza Abbot's Pizza (http://www.abbotspizzaco.com/) on AK is pretty good.

buldogge
03-17-2017, 09:16 PM
We're staying right down the street from AK...so no skin off our teeth to swing by.

Assuming Blue Star is consistent with their PDX home location...I will eat too many donuts, next week. Peanut butter powdered, peppered berry jam filled...mmm.

:help:

-Mark

As was the Rapha popup.

Shadddup Beat.

buldogge
03-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Who doesn't like pizza? (no one I would associate with)

Noted...Thanks.

-Mark

@bulldogge, all this AK chatter reminded me: since you will be staying in Venice, if you/yours like pizza Abbot's Pizza (http://www.abbotspizzaco.com/) on AK is pretty good.

SoCalSteve
03-17-2017, 09:20 PM
We're staying right down the street from AK...so no skin off our teeth to swing by.

Assuming Blue Star is consistent with their PDX home location...I will eat too many donuts, next week. Peanut butter powdered, peppered berry jam filled...mmm.

:help:

-Mark

If you are going to eat donuts, at least wash them down with Blue Bottle coffee. Also on Abbott Kinney. Intelligentsia is a cool space to hang out at, but Blue Bottle has better coffee.

beeatnik
03-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Save your Blue Bottle experience for DTLA. They took over the ground floor of the Bradbury Building.

Downtown LA is so weird now.

buldogge
03-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Copy that...

-Mark

If you are going to eat donuts, at least wash them down with Blue Bottle coffee. Also on Abbott Kinney. Intelligentsia is a cool space to hang out at, but Blue Bottle has better coffee.

Save your Blue Bottle experience for DTLA. They took over the ground floor of the Bradbury Building.

Downtown LA is so weird now.

beeatnik
03-18-2017, 12:16 AM
Buldogge (Mark?), forgot to mention, if you do Gamble House and bits of Pasadena, you MUST drive through South Pasadena (most charming town in LA County) and San Marino (Blue Blood-Ville) to spend half a day at the Huntington Library and Gardens. No question, no argument, it is the loveliest place in all of Southern California.

buldogge
03-20-2017, 09:13 AM
That does look very pretty! If the weather cooperates, maybe we can fit it in.

Right now, looks like Thursday and Friday should be nice.

-Mark

Buldogge (Mark?), forgot to mention, if you do Gamble House and bits of Pasadena, you MUST drive through South Pasadena (most charming town in LA County) and San Marino (Blue Blood-Ville) to spend half a day at the Huntington Library and Gardens. No question, no argument, it is the loveliest place in all of Southern California.

buldogge
03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
I think I found that KoreaTown list I was looking for...Can anyone give any input about these recommendations from the article???

TIA
-Mark

BCD Tofu House. $$; 3575 Wilshire Blvd.; bcdtofu.com
Chosun Galbee. $$$; 3330 W. Olympic Blvd.; chosungalbee.com
Dansungsa. $; 3317 W. Sixth St.; dansungsausa.com
Elephant Snack Corner. $; 901 S. Western Ave.; 323/734-3359
Gook Hwa House. $; 3525 W. Eighth St.; 562/714-8562
Ma Dang Gook Soo. $; 869 S. Western; 213/487-6008
Park’s BBQ. $$$; 955 S. Vermont Ave.; parksbbq.com
The Prince. $$; 3198 ½ W. Seventh St.; theprincela.com

beeatnik
03-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Do Chosun Galbee for the architecture. Avoid The Prince.

Or you could forget the reviews and "insider" recommendations and go here:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/moodaepo-ii-los-angeles

You'll see 21 year old Korean kids drive up in Lamborghinis and 21 year old Oaxacan busboys ride up on $50 MTBs. It's real LA.

I think I found that KoreaTown list I was looking for...Can anyone give any input about these recommendations from the article???

TIA
-Mark

false_Aest
03-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Ignore BCD.

buldogge
03-20-2017, 02:12 PM
I can ignore all of them...makes no difference to me...this is exactly the kinda feedback I need!

-Mark

Do Chosun Galbee for the architecture. Avoid The Prince.

Or you could forget the reviews and "insider" recommendations and go here:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/moodaepo-ii-los-angeles

You'll see 21 year old Korean kids drive up in Lamborghinis and 21 year old Oaxacan busboys ride up on $50 MTBs. It's real LA.

Ignore BCD.

Ken Robb
03-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Since it looks like rain: Peterson Auto Museum, Both Getty Museums, Queen Mary are worth visiting.

This may seem nuts but one of my best visits to Disneyland was on a rainy Thursday. Few people and almost zero lines.

buldogge
03-21-2017, 06:28 PM
No Disneyland for us.

We landed, finally got the rental ("sweet" upgrade to an Impala ;) ), headed to Venice. Ended up grabbing some tacos and ceviche from a truck on Rose...La Isla Bonita...pretty decent stuff...excellent Buche and Carnitas...they were sold out of Al Pastor and Chicharrones, unfortunately!

Just chilling in the rental now...heading out in the rain for coffee shortly.

Probably had to LACMA and La Brea tomorrow, since it looks like more rain.

Trying to decide if I can fit Korean BBQ in my gut tonight.

Got reservations @ The Eames House Thursday morning.

Weather looks OK for Thurs and Fri.

-Mark

Since it looks like rain: Peterson Auto Museum, Both Getty Museums, Queen Mary are worth visiting.

This may seem nuts but one of my best visits to Disneyland was on a rainy Thursday. Few people and almost zero lines.

Louis
03-21-2017, 07:19 PM

You should take a nap under this - the San Andreas Fault is pretty far east of the LA area, so I doubt it would fall on you.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/6c6d6a2078d662498a855cd5ca66620e/tumblr_mg9tj1y53k1r1thfzo5_1280.jpg

SoCalSteve
03-21-2017, 09:14 PM
:DNo Disneyland for us.

We landed, finally got the rental ("sweet" upgrade to an Impala ;) ), headed to Venice. Ended up grabbing some tacos and ceviche from a truck on Rose...La Isla Bonita...pretty decent stuff...excellent Buche and Carnitas...they were sold out of Al Pastor and Chicharrones, unfortunately!

-Mark

After spending all day walking around the tar pits and museums, you will be ready for all you can eat Korean BBQ!

Cant beat this recommendation by an actual Korean....:D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2141872&postcount=12

If you can fit it in, Ken is right about the Peterson Museum. It's been completely renovated recently and a really great place to see amazing cars ( if your into cars, it's a must see ).

Enjoy!!!

ispy
03-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Park's BBQ has very good meat. Start with the thin brisket, make sure they get a charred edge. Dip into sesame oil and salt. Good energy too. Very packed. Reservations are a must. Do not confuse this Park's with the same-named Park near DTLA which is a Filipino BBQ joint (decent not great, sorry).

Chosun Galbee has the best architecture (feels sort of like a resort) but very stingy with the pan-chan (the side dishes). It's all about the meat (good) and the high ceilings and monochromatic linen tunics. But it doesn't have a fun energy. It's to impress visiting parents at graduation.

Genwa has the best-looking (and tasty) array of side-dishes (I think 20+ comes with each meal) and the main food very good too. It's decor is easily one of the most "presentable" :D for, ahem, westerners. Closest to LACMA, Tar Pits, Petersen.

One thing to amuse you, is that there are Koreans who judge a restaurant by its side dishes (the former Sa Rit Gol on Serrano/Olympic was champs, didn't hurt there were multiple grandmas behind the kitchen curtain) rather than the "main" stuff.

I'm quite fond of BCD. It's an LA/stateside invention that has a fan base back at the motherland and reverse-sprouted offshoots there... friends from Korea have (amusingly) insisted on visiting even on 1 night layovers. It's not an "event" eating outing... so may not appeal to non-Koreans so much. It's normal (Korean/non-bbq) food (specifically, tofu stew in many variations) done simply and well, with no fetishizing, and yes probably a little bit of industrial scale editing. Emphasis on the tofu, which imo is very satisfying. Order the soon doo boo (tofu stew) with the beef+shrimp broth, or just go all spicy; then be sure to crack the egg into it and let that cook (not completely) while you try their pickles and fermented salty briny teeny sea creatures coated in pepper sauce. The original/main location on Western near Normandie is full 24/7... great hangover food just go see the groggy crowds at 5am thru bkfast time.

Agree that Din Tai Fung here isn't as good as Taipei. But that falls into the category of First World Problems. My mother blames this on the fact that US health inspectors won't allow the dumplings to be steamed in bamboo baskets (stainless here). If you look at the menu you will see each item is numbered (1 thru 99-ish) but a few numbers are missing... If you go to Taipei the menu has every number. Still the sauteed string beans are superb; blistered and crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Chinese gastronomy is all about texture. Then again so are sandwiches and good salads. But I digress... what's wonderful about all the food at DTF is that you can taste Every Different Ingredient that makes up the whole dish (try the pork and shrimp shu mai); unlike crappy C-food that tastes like brown sauce smothered every nuance.

I know this is a bit late to the game... but if driving to SLO... go half hour further west to check out Montana de Oro State Park... the bluffs are One Of The Most Beautiful Places on this coast. Even if you just have an hour, park by the white ranch house (good historical display inside) and walk/bike the bluffs... they do not disappoint whether sunny, rainy, or cloudy. Very family friendly. Nature is truly awe-inspiring. You will probably see a ton of wildflowers along the way, and there, this time of year (the "Oro" comes from the wildflowers).

TIA
-Mark

beeatnik
03-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Mark, the Paceline Weather Gods are your side. This has been the first week all season, the forecast for rain has been off.

tylercheung
03-23-2017, 09:56 AM
No Disneyland for us.

-Mark

Getty is near Eames, and well worth the visit - views are amazing and the art can be pretty decent too!

Ken Robb
03-23-2017, 12:56 PM
Getty is near Eames, and well worth the visit - views are amazing and the art can be pretty decent too!

The Getty's architecture alone is often the reason people visit. I think you have to make a reservation for parking but it's all free: parking and admission. If I lived nearby I would go just to eat in the restaurant. The food is very good and the view is spectacular.

ptourkin
03-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Mark, the Paceline Weather Gods are your side. This has been the first week all season, the forecast for rain has been off.

Really? Doing GMR on the BikeMS fredcentury Saturday and looks like there's still a chance.

beeatnik
03-23-2017, 10:12 PM
You're good for Saturday. Early in the week, the forecast was for rain Tue, Wed and Sat. Last two days have been crystal clear. Rained on and off Tue. Weakest storm of the season. Gracias a dios.

buldogge
03-23-2017, 11:36 PM
Went to Eames House this am...Had some nice conversation with the ladies there...nice morning.

Headed over to Santa Monica Pier, for the kid...let him have a little fun in the arcade...ate some 2nd rate STL/griddle/Shake Shack wannabe burger and then headed to Gamble House...nice tour, albeit slooow.

Was surprised at how dark/unlit the interior was ("Mrs. Gamble had eye problems"). Also checked out the FLW Millard House, as best we could...Would love to see the inside of that one...very interesting house, that I was not familiar with.

Grabbed some coffee in Old Town and then cruised over to Echo Park and SilverLake.

Ended the evening gorging ourselves at Hae Jang Chon...We all enjoyed it.

TA
-Mark

SoCalSteve
03-24-2017, 08:35 AM
Went to Eames House this am...Had some nice conversation with the ladies there...nice morning.

Headed over to Santa Monica Pier, for the kid...let him have a little fun in the arcade...ate some 2nd rate STL/griddle/Shake Shack wannabe burger and then headed to Gamble House...nice tour, albeit slooow.

Was surprised at how dark/unlit the interior was ("Mrs. Gamble had eye problems"). Also checked out the FLW Millard House, as best we could...Would love to see the inside of that one...very interesting house, that I was not familiar with.

Grabbed some coffee in Old Town and then cruised over to Echo Park and SilverLake.

Ended the evening gorging ourselves at Hae Jang Chon...We all enjoyed it.

TA
-Mark

Glad you enjoyed my suggestions! And that the weather was ( albeit a little cold ) a sunny and beautiful socal day.

Did you make it to The Peterson or The La Brea Tar Pits?

buldogge
03-24-2017, 09:02 AM
We went to the tar pits on Wed...no Peterson.

Heading up the PCH in a little bit...

-Mark

Glad you enjoyed my suggestions! And that the weather was ( albeit a little cold ) a sunny and beautiful socal day.

Did you make it to The Peterson or The La Brea Tar Pits?