PDA

View Full Version : Mid-level disc hub recommendation

proletariandan
03-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Hey all,

So I recently cracked my rear Easton wheel and was told that their hubs aren't great so was thinking about picking up something nicer to build a new wheel with but can't bring myself to drop $300+ on a new White Industries CLD.

Is there anything in the $1-200 range that is comparable in terms of weight and reliability? My current rig is 135mm QR but being able to do an easy TA conversion in case I upgrade would be nice.

Also is centerlock the way to go? Not sure how often I'll need to swap rotors but I can't see any advantage to a 6-bolt...

Thanks!
Dan

echelon_john
03-13-2017, 06:18 PM
DT350 checks all the boxes.

On sale now from bike-discount.de and starbike. ~$160 for a set. your choice of 6-bolt or center lock.

oldpotatoe
03-14-2017, 06:40 AM

On sale now from bike-discount.de and starbike. ~$160 for a set. your choice of 6-bolt or center lock.

Agree..yikes, those PRICES!! Wholesale minus.

And for you John, with a end cap kit, easy to swap FH body to 11s road..142/12mm. Even easier with QR..just the FH body.

ColonelJLloyd
03-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Agree..yikes, those PRICES!! Wholesale minus.

Yeah, that's nuts.

peanutgallery
03-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Hope is in that range, for a rear. At the above mentioned price that 350 is a steal... literally

Fatty
03-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Hope, made in England. Top of the range I think.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/hope-pro-4-mtb-rear-hub-qr-axle/rp-prod145298

TEMPLE
03-14-2017, 09:58 AM

I have complaints about this hub; the bearings in mine got crunchy pretty quickly (muddy here in the winter) and getting to some of them requires a special and expensive tool...assuming you can manage to undo the locking nut in the first place, which I could not. Completely seized. Even 400+ pounds of man muscle (two dudes, I mean) could not budge it, nor weeks of liquid wrench, gentle heating with a torch, more aggressive heating with a torch, many swear words and plenty of rage. DT Swiss was not helpful, but no real complaints about that- the hub was a couple of years old and out of warranty. It was a decent hub before that happened. I have heard of many good experiences with these hubs, though, so maybe I was just unlucky. Been very happy with Mavic hubs since.