PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Silca Pocket Impero?

572cv
03-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Well, I was feeling good and looking to upgrade my on-the-bike pump. I've read a lot of positive things about the Silca P.I. and decided to try it. I got back today from a visit to my daughter, and the pump had arrived. Cool! It seemed well made and solid. Durable. Long lasting. I had to try it in the shop, test it out. Didn't work out so well.

First mis-step was a complete failure to get it to seat on a tube valve. I loosened and tightened the knurled cover, a little at a time. I never got so far as to actually be able to get any air in the tube, no matter how much I tried to re adjust. This is not good. Second mis step was that the pump handle would not close tightly around the silicone upper cover. Also tried to work this carefully and slowly, but I can't make the handle shift in such a way that it closes. There are little arrows on the shaft telling you what to do, but not how. Finally, I spent a few minutes finding the little white o-ring decorative end thingy, which just rolls right off.

It is going back tomorrow if I can't do a little better. Any experience with these things? I know I can be a klutz at times, but maybe someone has some helpful insights. Thanks.

572cv
03-13-2017, 05:32 PM
:crap:

pdmtong
03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
SuperMod Angry loves his...

Cat3roadracer
03-13-2017, 07:04 PM
A few things going on here. The red anodized fitting at the end of the pump does not need to be unscrewed unless you are replacing the rubber gasket. This head works as do other Silca chucks - press on, lift off.

The silicone handle portion needs to be slid up toward the head when inflating, slid downward when twisting to close. It will slide nicely into its closed position.

I am very happy with its performance and craftsmanship. I have more of fear of losing it than it failing me in the field.

Good luck and let us know if this helps.

Dave

572cv
03-13-2017, 07:05 PM
SuperMod Angry loves his...

I wish I could love it, but it doesn't love me. Maybe I got a lemon, who knows.

OtayBW
03-14-2017, 09:26 AM
My 30 yo Silca floor pump is still my main pump, so I'm very happy with Silca stuff, but honestly, at 3x what I paid for my existing Leyzyne Pressure Drive (mini), it's hard to justify the extra cost - particularly for as little as it gets used. I've been pretty happy with the Leyzyne.