PDA

View Full Version : Show me your improvised bike stands please

Frikki
03-12-2017, 04:35 PM
I've been putting off getting one, usually taking my bike to a friend's place when i needed to do any back-injury-inducing repairs.
But said friend was unavailable today when my rear derailleur finally drove me insane and I had to sort something out.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend this, but I managed to sort it out with no damage to myself, or the frame (not pictured is a piece of rubber separating vise and frame, safety first)

Cicli
03-12-2017, 04:38 PM
My gawd. Vice grips?

That looks scary.

Frikki
03-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Not pictured is a bunch of old bar wrap and rubber gloves for padding between vise and frame.
I'm reasonably confident I didn't cause any structural damage.

But now that i look at it, the photos look terrifying

JWDR
03-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Hang the saddle from rafters or tree limb, or a loop of rope hanging down if the anchor is too high. I would think the vice grips would have too many ways to scratch and dent my frame but could see my drunk self doing it.

Cicli
03-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Hang the saddle from rafters or tree limb, or a loop of rope hanging down if the anchor is too high. I would think the vice grips would have too many ways to scratch and dent my frame but could see my drunk self doing it.

I worked on my bike for a while using the nose of the saddle through an old tire looped over a rafter. Worked fine but not stable.

William
03-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Not technically improvised, but DIY. Easy enough if you have some wood, a saw, wood screws, and a spare skewer laying around... :)

William

Frikki
03-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Nice!
That's a beauty.
I'm halfway towards something less perilous after i grew a braincell and remembered I had two matching odd sized pieces of 1" plywood that I could fashion into a rig that would slot onto the folding work table.

One of the many downsides of living in a studio apartment in Brooklyn is that I basically can't have anything superfluous (this does not apply to bikes) if it's not flat-packable when not in use.

William
03-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Nice!
That's a beauty.
I'm halfway towards something less perilous after i grew a braincell and remembered I had two matching odd sized pieces of 1" plywood that I could fashion into a rig that would slot onto the folding work table.

One of the many downsides of living in a studio apartment in Brooklyn is that I basically can't have anything superfluous (this does not apply to bikes) if it's not flat-packable when not in use.

Make one on a 2x4 and clamp it in the table when you need it! PRESTO!! :)

William

MagicHour
03-12-2017, 08:23 PM
I use a Nashbar Stand by Me for under $20 and/or my Kinetic trainer as a work stand for heavier duty jobs like BBs. I've built several bikes up this way in sm. apt settings. Not perfect, but gets the job done.

R3awak3n
03-12-2017, 08:36 PM
/\ I needed to take my back wheel off one of my bikes for the weekend and left the bike on the wahoo kickr. What a great sturdy stand, also probably the worlds most expensive stand.

572cv
03-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Not technically improvised, but DIY. Easy enough if you have some wood, a saw, wood screws, and a spare skewer laying around... :)

William

Also a router, a planer, glue, clamps, a staple gun, try square, drill press, and some kinda orbital sander in evidence.... but hey, looks fabulous!:beer:

iPaul
03-13-2017, 02:40 AM
How about something like this? And it's portable to boot.

https://youtu.be/XyOw2o-53Nk

William
03-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Also a router, a planer, glue, clamps, a staple gun, try square, drill press, and some kinda orbital sander in evidence.... but hey, looks fabulous!:beer:

I could make a nice one without all that, but I get what you're saying. :beer:

William

William
03-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Pretty simple.

William

Fatty
03-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Nice!

Start saving you pennies. A nice stand will last forever and make life easy. Portable race stands don't take up much room when folded.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/feedback-pro-elite-repair-stand?adl=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhpnGBRDKpY-My9rdutABEiQAWNcslLQ2xarm3UTGzqT1Z3Utugk8P2_g8rjoN tJmk5wnqSkaAmm-8P8HAQ

chiasticon
03-13-2017, 09:05 AM
man, that vice grip stand. just...wow. at least clamp the bike by the seat post. but I guess you'd have to raise the "stand" up, then. perhaps you have some phone books at your disposal? :bike:

cheapest option I can think of is one of those pulley systems for storing your bike from the garage ceiling. should cost like $20. the bike will sway a bit but not too badly. or just drill a hole through a sawhorse and throw a quick release in there. hell, you could do that with your current "stand" with a 2x4 and then just clamp or screw it to the platform you have. better than the vice grip...

DrSpoke
03-13-2017, 09:14 AM

I just saw this for the first time last night and thought it had some merit. I think it could be improved though. I liked the portability but didn't like the way the bike was centered - especially w/the wimpy legs. I think if some of the features of the stand in the previous post were incorporated it would be a low cost winner.

Dead Man
03-13-2017, 09:47 AM

uhg... watching non-carpenters doing carpentry can be almost physically painful

Good concept though.. I might do something just like that, for a portable workstand

jasonification
03-13-2017, 10:16 AM

I'd be a little worried about the center of gravity on this bike stand..

unterhausen
03-13-2017, 11:48 AM
the public bike stands that are being put up all over have a double rod to hold the seat by the seatpost. I used to hang my bike from a ladder hook by the seat. Works ok. I have thought about a double hook like the public stands. don't know if anyone makes anything like that. It's great for fixing flats