PDA

View Full Version : Soma Smoothie Geometry and Framesize Question

FordTrax
03-11-2017, 09:30 AM
I am looking at a Soma Smoothie for a road frame build. I want to try an relatively inexpensive but still decent frame for my first build. I have a 58cm Salsa which is very relaxed geometry. I had my wife measure me for the bike fit calculator on Competitive Cyclist. Per the CC website I should ride a 60cm top tube and a 58.25cm seat tube (CT). That seems a bit big to me on the top tube. Perhaps this is because I am not the flexible and ride in a more relaxed position with the bars just slightly below the saddle. Maybe the CC website is oriented to a more aggressive positioned rider.

My inseam is 33.5" so I guess I am more arms then legs.

Anyway, when I look at the Soma Smoothie bike geometry the Reach is the same at 392mm on both the 58cm and 60cm frame. However, the headtube goes from a 172mm to a 195mm and the seat tube goes from 550 to a 570. I am thinking about going to the 60cm frame. My logic is with the reach staying the same at 392mm on both sizes but the headtube increasing 23mm it will be much easier (less spacers) to get the handle bars about level with the seat - (I think the seat tube length is a mute point since I will just have less seat post exposed on the 60 vs 58 - and per the CC I should be on a 58 tube anyway). In addition, the 60cm frame relaxes the seat tube about .5 degree and has slightly longer chainstays and thus wheel base - which I think is all to the good for my relaxed riding style.

The frame geometry chart is here: http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/smoothie

Is there any reason for my not to jump to the 60cm frame to make it easier to get a more relaxed riding position and take advantage (for my riding style) of the slightly longer wheel base?