PDA

View Full Version : Paint/chrome hairline cracks or worse? (am I catastrophizing?)

jasonification
03-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Finally got my 853 Bob Jackson frame and while getting the bike put together, I noticed that my wheel's hub was not able to fit into the drive side rear drop out. With further inspection, I noticed the paint where the drive side chain stay attaches to the seat lug seems to have some little cracks in the paint. I took it into my local bike store, and the noticed a tiiiny hairline crack in the chrome at the dropout. They believed that somewhere along the line tbe dropout must have faced some compression force. The dropout itself was narrowed by less than a millimeter, and so was able to be adjusted to fit the hub in the end.

Attached are the photos to the two areas. Was wondering if I should be worried, or that the these things should be non-issues. Thanks team!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/e4e83c323cca37436f2310d267fcd821.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/d7faadd16472227b2ff12394520d9f20.jpg

Black Dog
03-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Really hard to say from photos. The drop out photo is too blurry and the seat stay looks more like a paint issue.

ultraman6970
03-11-2017, 09:34 AM
The second picture to me is a crack in the paint, the one in the chrome (i cant see it sorry) who knows but if you have no creaks I really doubt you have a crack at all, that dropout should be creaking if it was cracked.

Chrome cracks just like paint just in case.

How old is that frame?

jasonification
03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
The second picture to me is a crack in the paint, the one in the chrome (i cant see it sorry) who knows but if you have no creaks I really doubt you have a crack at all, that dropout should be creaking if it was cracked.

How old is that frame?

Built in 2007 according to previous owner (i'm the third). According to him it was fine prior to shipping, so it must have been something that happened during the shipping process. About to take it for its maiden spin. Will report back and take photos with a better camera!

03-11-2017, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't blame that on shipping. If there's anything, it probably preexisted and the seller likely knew it.

I'd concur on the seat stay. If you had a crack starting there, I don't think the damage would be contained to a crack on the face; you'd see indications on the seat tube side of the stay as well.

On the stay end, yes, it's hard to tell in the blurred photo. Stay ends from that period are not that brittle so I'd expect a repairable bend before a downright crack.

So no, you aren't catastrophizing. To do so would have been a pure jasonification.

kingpin75s
03-11-2017, 02:50 PM
According to him it was fine prior to shipping, so it must have been something that happened during the shipping process.

Could be something else, but this happens often.

Any packed frame not secured well within the package can get the RD hanger pinched easily. Imagine if the frame can shift back and forth in the box. Then think if the box was stood on end so all weight is on the hanger area as it bounces down the road. This has happened on 2 frame sets I have received in the past 3 years. I fixed both easily, but still a bad feeling.

Peter P.
03-11-2017, 03:42 PM
...Any packed frame not secured well within the package can get the RD hanger pinched easily...

The problem is not the frame being poorly secured in the box; it's the failure to install a dummy axle in the dropouts. They're routinely installed on new, boxed OEM bikes because the manufacturers KNOW what can happen.

When you buy a used frame, ALWAYS ask the seller to install a dummy axle in the rear dropouts and fork.

jasonification
03-11-2017, 04:39 PM
The problem is not the frame being poorly secured in the box; it's the failure to install a dummy axle in the dropouts. They're routinely installed on new, boxed OEM bikes because the manufacturers KNOW what can happen.

When you buy a used frame, ALWAYS ask the seller to install a dummy axle in the rear dropouts and fork.

yeah, the bike did not come with a dummy axle. something so simple would've definitely saved a lot of hassle!

jasonification
03-11-2017, 04:42 PM

How old is that frame?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/ef5629421011eee1784de64479a25d6d.jpg

Went out for a ride and the dropouts were silent!

Cicli
03-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Went out for a ride and the dropouts were silent!

Its fine.
Was that the one with the dudes name pasted on the top tube?

jasonification
03-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Its fine.
Was that the one with the dudes name pasted on the top tube?

yessir. electrical tape is doing its job for now.