PDA

View Full Version : Merckx MX Leader 20th Anniv Edition headed my way.

Clean39T
03-10-2017, 03:34 PM
-----------------
Pics

thirdgenbird
03-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Sweet paint job, my favorite group, and my favorite wheels.

Look me up if you change the group. That almost looks like a medium cage ;)

If I were you, I would get deda speciale 26 bars, a matching silver deda post, and a new cinelli stem. Oh, and tan tires. Everything else is perfect.

ultraman6970
03-10-2017, 04:28 PM
Wow... how big is that frame?? 64?

Clean39T
03-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Wow... how big is that frame?? 64?

62 w. a 58.5 TT - I think that pic is making it look bigger than it is.

Here's one of just the frameset.

ultraman6970
03-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Super nice bike. enjoy it :)

merckxman
03-10-2017, 05:42 PM
I bought mine in 1994 and still have it, now tucked away until Spring. Great bike. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

cachagua
03-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Beautiful!

Eagles landin' all over the place. It's gonna be a good season.

Clean39T
03-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Question answered.

Louis
03-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Could it be a ball of solder?

If so, you should be able to get it out from one of the brake housing holes. Getting the housing back in (and out, since that's that tricky part) will be a hassle, but not impossible - maybe a string and a vacuum cleaner for suction will do the trick. (But I wouldn't take the brake housing out until you're pretty sure you know what's going on and have a plan to deal with it.)

Edit: or you could spray some Frame Saver in there and hope that it "glues" the solder in place once it's dry. (that will take a while)

Louis
03-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Another comment:

I wouldn't return the bike simply because there's something rolling around in the TT - there are ways to either get that out or quiet the noise.

If you like the bike, then keep it.

Ken Robb
03-16-2017, 11:32 PM
You won't hear it when you ride so for all practical purposes it does not exist. :beer:

Clean39T
03-16-2017, 11:41 PM
Snip

oldpotatoe
03-17-2017, 05:13 AM
:help: HELP NEEDED :help:

Well, it arrived today, and I need help with an issue. There is something rolling around in the top tube when I pick the bike up and tilt it back and forth, and it rattles on rough pavement. The brake housing is full length, no ferrules. And it looks like the tubes are pretty much sealed with only a small hole at the top-tube seat-tube junction. Any idea what it could be? Anyone dealt with something like this? Fixable?

Dribble/squirt a little boiled linseed oil in there..let sit..it'll 'capture' the wee bit of flux or whatever..no a big deal.

Sweet rig..few frames ride as nice as a MXLeader..I love, LOVE mine. Need a better pic tho.

Clean39T
03-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Dribble/squirt a little boiled linseed oil in there..let sit..it'll 'capture' the wee bit of flux or whatever..no a big deal.

Sweet rig..few frames ride as nice as a MXLeader..I love, LOVE mine. Need a better pic tho.

Edit: it came out on its own...no need for sticky stuff [emoji106]

Is that just bc it's sticky? I guess I could rotate the frame so it's at the bottom of the tube and then only have to use a small amount to trap it.. Will let y'all know how it works. But first I gotta source some linseed oil [emoji19] - I got avocado oil, sesame oil...but no linseed [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monarchguy
03-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Hardware store -- if you're looking in the kitchen for linseed oil, you've got bigger problems.

BTW, congrats on the frame -- would love to get one.

-- Dan

Louis
03-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Be sure you use boiled linseed oil, not raw linseed oil.

Raw takes way longer to dry.

Clean39T
03-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Hardware store -- if you're looking in the kitchen for linseed oil, you've got bigger problems.

BTW, congrats on the frame -- would love to get one.

-- Dan

It was a weak attempt at humor.

-- Also Dan

Clean39T
03-18-2017, 11:17 AM
I put some NOS ITM bars on it and a Merlin Ti stem. I thought I'd like the combo, but I think it clashes, so I'm off to the local used shop to get a 3TTT silver one they have..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/e9ffd10a952698065d6582505f1f7fcb.jpg

I was lucky enough to score a near-new Record Carbon post off eBay yesterday.

And I've got a Regale FX coming in the mail.

That, plus black tape and black pedals, and a tire swap, should get her to a comfortable landing place for now.

thirdgenbird
03-18-2017, 12:37 PM
I would hold off changing the stem intill you get the new post, saddle, and tape. I think it may work. Especially if you do king ti cages.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Well I somehow got it to not be rolling without the linseed; it'll probably shake back loose but who knows..

I put some NOS ITM bars on it and a Merlin Ti stem. I thought I'd like the combo, but I think it clashes, so I'm off to the local used shop to get a 3TTT silver one they have..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/e9ffd10a952698065d6582505f1f7fcb.jpg

I was lucky enough to score a near-new Record Carbon post off eBay yesterday.

And I've got a Regale FX coming in the mail.

That, plus black tape and black pedals, and a tire swap, should get her to a comfortable landing place for now.

Be careful with that. Non seat collar(either Campag or ones that you can turn around)..when you tighten, it gets not round and you can crack one of these pretty thin carbon posts.

I have King Iris on my Merckx.think they look swell.

Clean39T
03-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Be careful with that. Non seat collar(either Campag or ones that you can turn around)..when you tighten, it gets not round and you can crack one of these pretty thin carbon posts.

I have King Iris on my Merckx.think they look swell.

Thank you for the heads up - every day I learn I still have so much to learn :confused: :) - I thought my only issue with it was going to be keeping it in good shape with the somewhat rough inside of the seat-tube.

My alternative was an American Classic Ti post, but maybe I'll see what else I can find out there - haven't seen many Chris King posts to be honest. I nabbed a Modolo stem on the cheap today - only downside being it weighs 380g - or just over a 1/4 lb more than the Ti one..

colker
03-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Thank you for the heads up - every day I learn I still have so much to learn :confused: :) - I thought my only issue with it was going to be keeping it in good shape with the somewhat rough inside of the seat-tube.

My alternative was an American Classic Ti post, but maybe I'll see what else I can find out there - haven't seen many Chris King posts to be honest. I nabbed a Modolo stem on the cheap today - only downside being it weighs 380g - or just over a 1/4 lb more than the Ti one..

what´s wrong w/ the merlin stem? OPotatoe is talking about the cages i believe.

thirdgenbird
03-18-2017, 07:23 PM

I would go with the ti post, and ti stem, and ti cages on this one.

King (bottle cages) is a different company than Chris King.

Clean39T
03-18-2017, 07:43 PM
what´s wrong w/ the merlin stem? OPotatoe is talking about the cages i believe.

Oh - now that I zoom in on his pic I see that - I'd never heard of Chris King making a post, just figured I'd missed something..

But all these years I've thought that's who made King Ti cages.. It's like finally seeing the lyrics to Rocket Man [emoji45] - suddenly everything makes much more sense.

colker
03-18-2017, 07:47 PM
PMP titanium seatpost.

Clean39T
03-18-2017, 09:08 PM
PMP titanium seatpost.

Decoder ring please.. PMP?

merckxman
03-18-2017, 09:27 PM
PMP is an Italian component company :
http://www.pmpbike.net

cadence90
03-18-2017, 11:24 PM
I would go with the ti post, and ti stem, and ti cages on this one.

Absolutely.

PMP ti seatposts are very good. There are a few on eBay right now, as long as the Merckx is 27.2mm diameter. In PMP nomenclature, SB00 = 0mm setback; SB14 = 14mm; SB27 = 27mm.

velomateo
03-19-2017, 10:38 AM
What ever stem you choose Ti or steel, it's a huge improvement over the first pic you posted of "as purchased". Great bike.

sw3759
03-19-2017, 12:54 PM
what they said..ti cages stem and post will look great.
oh and keep the white tape..looks so much classier than the black imo.
the white pedals and saddle don't hurt either