PDA

View Full Version : Panaracer tire factory

fiamme red
03-09-2017, 08:44 PM
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/panaracer-hand-made-tires/

The tires are assembled by hand. It’s a fascinating process, and I could easily spend a month photographing the factory. There is enough material write a book! But there are too many trade secrets, so no photography is allowed. Panaracer’s engineers would prefer if nobody knew what is going on in their factory...Very cool. I've been riding mostly Panaracer tires for a long time now.

bobswire
03-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Most of the tires I use nowadays above 28c are made by Panaracer though I still use Vittoria for tires 27c and under.

froze
03-09-2017, 09:44 PM
The only Panaracer tires I ride is the Pasela TG and the Sport, and I like them OK, but to be honest main reason I bought the Paseala was because they come in a 27" size, and 2nd reason I bought it was because they were inexpensive, other than the size issue in particular I could have found at least 2 dozen different tires I could have bought and been equally as happy. And the Sport tire came on a bike that I bought new, it's not real light, there are lighter options out there; seems to have worn well; resist cuts and flats pretty good as do a lot of other tires today though.

Not so sure about all the secret BS is all about though, it's not like Panaracer makes the best tires in the world and everyone else is way underneath them. I think Panaracer might be full of themselves. No one is trying to copy them, why? because none of their tires are rated even in the top 30 of the fastest tires tested.

I don't dislike Panaracer, I just think they're an average tire.

ColonelJLloyd
03-09-2017, 09:49 PM
No one is trying to copy them, why? because none of their tires are rated even in the top 30 of the fastest tires tested.

What Panaracer tires were in the test?

regularguy412
03-09-2017, 09:54 PM
My one data point.

Only used one set of Panaracer tires. I think they were the Stradius series. They were very inexpensive and, at the time, I didn't need to spend $$ on tires.

I was not impressed. Kinda rode like they were not inflated. Ultimately relegated to trainer use and now long gone.

Mike in AR:beer:

wasfast
03-10-2017, 05:30 AM
Factory tours of any product are always interesting. He kept referring to them as hand made but literally every step was a large industrial machine. I missed what hand made meant in this context I guess.

The 2 German women that became semi-famous from Continental, appearing in their ads, were the definition of hand made, sewing tubulars all day.

daker13
03-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Very cool article. I don't currently run any Panaracer tires, but good for them about being paranoid about their manufacturing processes.

jamesau
03-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Migrated from Michelin Pro Race to Panaracer Race A Evo years ago and have been very happy with GravelKings.

weisan
03-10-2017, 06:34 AM
>>I don't dislike Panaracer, I just think they're an average tire.

When I think of Panaracer, I imagine them to be the equivalent of the big hunkin' bike factory in Taiwan that makes carbon frames for several different brands, even though they bear different names, they all come from the same factory.

In the same way, Panaracer is equipped to make just about any kind of tires of various qualities depending on what their customers specify as long as the price is right.

HenryA
03-10-2017, 07:04 AM
I've been riding the Race type D for many years now. It is a great tire for all around riding. Super durable, nearly flat proof and still flexible enough for a very nice ride. Ive also been riding Pacenti tires (made by Panaracer) on my MTB for a long time with great success. Panaracer makes great tires.

froze
03-10-2017, 07:04 AM
What Panaracer tires were in the test?

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/fat-bike-reviews/panaracer-fat-b-nimble-2016 This is the only Panaracer tire to be tested and it's a mountain bike tire that did not fair well in the tests.

So far none of the road tires have been tested from what I could find, but they're not used by any pro teams I could find either, so the interest isn't there in the cycling world, so if the interest isn't there, and the technology isn't there, why would better tire companies be trying to "learn" Panaracer tire secrets? I find that absurd! It would have been better if the article would have left out the "secret" stuff instead of trying to sound like Panaracer has something going on that other manufactures don't and thus the big secret. That's all I was trying to say about it.

The new Gravel King tire is favorably reviewed but it isn't a road tire either, and right now there aren't a lot of gravel grinding specific tires out yet.

HOWEVER, according to this: http://jv-cycling.blogspot.com/2010/04/latest-tire-rolling-resistance-data-is.html go to the 4th bullet point, that urethane tubes roll just about as fast as latex (which means urethane rolls faster than butyl tubes), and the only urethane tubes I could find are made by none other than Panaracer; but this subject was in regards to their tire manufacturing process and not tubes, besides Panaracer stopped making those urethane tubes. Panaracer does make a butyl mixed with latex tube that the Panaracer corporation claims rolls faster than other butyl tubes but they have not been independently tested to confirm or deny that.

froze
03-10-2017, 07:08 AM
>>I don't dislike Panaracer, I just think they're an average tire.

When I think of Panaracer, I imagine them to be the equivalent of the big hunkin' bike factory in Taiwan that makes carbon frames for several different brands, even though they bear different names, they all come from the same factory.

In the same way, Panaracer is equipped to make just about any kind of tires of various qualities depending on what their customers specify as long as the price is right.

Actually Panaracer is one of the few companies that make their own tires in their own factory and not some factory that makes a thousand other brands, and they're made in Japan. And their upper end tires, in any line, are actually quite expensive which I think their tires don't justify the price because I don't think they're up to the level of other tires near those price points. I think like you, I think they're an average tire, ok but nothing to write home about.

weisan
03-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Froze pal, i see your poin, thanks for clarifying. Personally, I do wish the Compass tires are a bit cheaper.... so I can buy a bunch of them instead of starving myself for one month before I can get another set. :D

redir
03-10-2017, 07:52 AM
Years ago my team had a sponsorship from them. I can't remember the exact tire but they were pretty nice. They had a real nice round almost tubular profile for a clincher and they were really grippy but didn't last long. Anyway that's pretty cool to see how they make them.

ColonelJLloyd
03-10-2017, 08:20 AM
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/fat-bike-reviews/panaracer-fat-b-nimble-2016 This is the only Panaracer tire to be tested and it's a mountain bike tire that did not fair well in the tests.

Oh, well that's the end of it then isn't it?

The new Gravel King tire is favorably reviewed but it isn't a road tire either, and right now there aren't a lot of gravel grinding specific tires out yet.

You're right. There are virtually no tires available for riding on gravel.

Actually Panaracer is one of the few companies that make their own tires in their own factory and not some factory that makes a thousand other brands, and they're made in Japan. And their upper end tires, in any line, are actually quite expensive which I think their tires don't justify the price because I don't think they're up to the level of other tires near those price points. I think like you, I think they're an average tire, ok but nothing to write home about.

Which Panaracer tires have you tried?

Big Dan
03-10-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm sure that test is the ultimate guide for bike tires.
Is on internet so it must be true.

:crap:

sandyrs
03-10-2017, 08:30 AM
One time I got a flat on a secondhand Pasela therefore all tires Panaracer makes under their own name or someone else's are worthless

Fatty
03-10-2017, 10:11 AM
My recent experience with Panaracer.
Mountain bike tires, Fire Pro XC.
Made in Japan. Huge plus for me.
Very round with no run out or wobble. Huge plus for me, can't stand when tires have that little wiggle to them.
Grip like cats claws.
Fast rolling and quiet.
Definitely a fan.

palincss
03-10-2017, 11:59 AM

"Average tire, nothing to write home about?" Tried any of the Panaracer-made Compass tires? I'll bet not.

froze
03-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Which Panaracer tires have you tried?

About 15 years ago I tried an upper end race/training Panaracer road tire (I can't recall the model) it cut easier than most and didn't wear well compared to other similar tires I had tried. Zooming ahead to 2013 I got a pair of Stratius Sports that came with my Lynskey, those are a low end tire BUT, they are actually better for training then the ones I tried 15 years ago, no cuts and are wearing very well (these were removed when the tires were new and put on my commuter bike instead). Then I also have a set of Pasela TG (wire) tires for my touring bike that uses 27" tires; these are considered a light touring tire but they do seem quite nice, are wearing like iron and they look like something that would have came on my 85 Schwinn back then with those gumwall tires.

I'm not saying that Panaracer tires are horrible tires, I think some of their tires are not bad for the price especially mid level on down, but then others are way overpriced like their high end tires and not really worth the money they're charging since you can get better tires for same or less.

The Stratius tire is just a so so tire when it comes to handling, fast stopping initiates a skid too easily on dry pavement which then is even a lot worse on wet pavement, rolling resistance seems high, and road feel is harsh, but like I said earlier it is a low end tire that seems to be good at cut and flat resistance and it does what I want them to do, however most tires today have dramatically improved their resistance to cuts and flats than they were just 5 years ago.

The Pasela TG I initially thought they were going to be slippery on wet pavement (but just fine on dry) because they got quite slick when I was riding in the rain but after about 800 miles they no longer are slippery. There have been complaints about weak sidewalls, I haven't had any issues with mine even after having to ride several times in gravel. I bought the wire beaded model because I couldn't find a foldable in my size, and being wire beaded they are a pain to put on and take off but I expected that. These tires I would buy again if I don't need a heavier duty tire for more load capacity because they are inexpensive and there isn't a whole lot of choices for a 27" 1 1/4 size for what I need it for.

Ok, probably more info then you needed but now you have details.

HenryA
03-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Years ago my team had a sponsorship from them. I can't remember the exact tire but they were pretty nice. They had a real nice round almost tubular profile for a clincher and they were really grippy but didn't last long. Anyway that's pretty cool to see how they make them.

Well yes, they make some fine racing tires and the tires are very well made, perform and ride great. Just because they make some inexpensive tires for other markets segments does not mean their high end stuff is deficient. And the thought that they make their own stuff is refreshing.

HenryA
03-10-2017, 05:27 PM
I prefer the "Race Type" Panaracer to comparable Michelins or Continentals. And my experience with their MTB tires goes back to the first Pacenti 650B tires. That same tire is still my prefernce today.

sg8357
03-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Speaking of Panaracer, has anyone tried Fairweather tires ?

They appear to be an unarmoured version of Gravel King slicks.
The 28mm red tires would be good fake Dunlops for 1940s & 50s
British bikes.