PDA

View Full Version : I need some help on valuation (Eisentraut -Velo Sport)

stephenmarklay
03-08-2017, 07:37 PM
I have a friend who no longer can ride and wants to sell the bike he bought in 1971 (according to his memory.)

We were co-workers for some years and shared an office and I knew of the bike in question. He had not ridden the bike much in many years. He is now 72. He did ride this bike when he was a young man and would like me to buy it. It is a little small but I could make if fit for the purpose (eroica.)

The bike in question was what he always said was an Albert Eisentraut. However, looking at it today it is actually a Velo Sport which is the shop he was at during this time. First, I don’t know a lot of this history so I cannot be sure that AE was the builder who built this bike. It also appears that this is a lower end columbus tube acciaio.

The bike has most of the original parts and some spares. The original tubulars with record hubs are there too. He seems to have lost the DT shifters but otherwise it is pretty complete.

I snapped a quick picture with wheels he bought so he could ride it which he said happened a couple of times around the block.

He also has a schwag box of freewheels etc.

If this bike/situation does not work for me than I can facilitate for someone on the forum.

Thoughts?

ultraman6970
03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
The only thing i can tell is that some bikes worth more in parts than as a whole, and some is just the opposite. This bike is sweet tho... but I do not think it is a bike that you can use the money to buy a new car you know.

RWHowe
03-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Very nice find and yes Eisentraut built at Velo-Sport for a while.

That is an early Columbus decal. I had the same one on a very early Windsor Pro. It was the top tube set at the time.

Valuation? What are you willing to pay for it?

You could potentially part it out, maybe 1K. I've bought similar vintage bikes for $350 to $500.

stephenmarklay
03-08-2017, 08:27 PM
The only thing i can tell is that some bikes worth more in parts than as a whole, and some is just the opposite. This bike is sweet tho... but I do not think it is a bike that you can use the money to buy a new car you know.

Well I appreciate it anyway.

stephenmarklay
03-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Very nice find and yes Eisentraut built at Velo-Sport for a while.

That is an early Columbus decal. I had the same one on a very early Windsor Pro. It was the top tube set at the time.

Valuation? What are you willing to pay for it?

You could potentially part it out, maybe 1K. I've bought similar vintage bikes for $350 to $500.

Thank you. I would really not prefer to part it out. Ideally I buy ride it on the same roads that he rode it in the 70s. That would make us both happy.

Hilltopperny
03-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Looks very nice and to be around my size. Certainly deserves a good home. Not sure of the value because you just don't see too many of these, but it really does look to be in great shape for a 46 year old bike.

jtakeda
03-08-2017, 08:38 PM
It's not an Albert eisentraut but it's likely it was built by him.

The Velo sport frames predated eisentraut solo venture.

Too bad the shop isn't still around to help with the date of the frame, they closed a couple years ago.

I'd think the bike is worth about $750-900 complete.

Ken Robb
03-08-2017, 08:39 PM
You might get a few good opinions on one of the classic bike sites where members buy/sell things like this frequently.

stephenmarklay
03-08-2017, 08:46 PM
You might get a few good opinions on one of the classic bike sites where members buy/sell things like this frequently.

Thanks Ken. I am not an active member of any sites except here.

stephenmarklay
03-08-2017, 08:47 PM
It's not an Albert eisentraut but it's likely it was built by him.

The Velo sport frames predated eisentraut solo venture.

Too bad the shop isn't still around to help with the date of the frame, they closed a couple years ago.

I'd think the bike is worth about $750-900 complete.

About what I was thinking. But that is why I am asking as I am not educated enough.

rccardr
03-09-2017, 07:14 AM
The value here is really in the groupset. Look up SOLD prices on eBay for comparable groupsets and add maybe $200 for the frame, tops. While AE is an established name, unless there's a way to confirm that he built this, it's just another old (but well made) off-brand frame.

stephenmarklay
03-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Interesting rccardr. Thank you.

pbarry
03-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Bro deal would be $600 or so. Nice bike that needs to be ridden. :beer:

Hindmost
03-09-2017, 10:01 AM
The value here is really in the groupset...

This bike belongs in a museum. 1971: first year of the Tour of California. Velo Sport: an institution, Peter Rich: an icon.

Trout? How many people were building frames in the East Bay at that time? Peter can tell us.

Part it out: this is like finding Breezer #02 and harvesting the parts.

otis
03-09-2017, 10:48 AM
To me that is a nice example of a bike from the beginnings/hotbed of "European style" road racing in the United States.

From a value point of view that may be meaningless right now but that may not be the case in the future.

The photos show no close up's of the work, which is how a frame like that should be judged, not just by the name on the down-tube. You are in an area where many of the people involved and builders from the day are still around and accessible. I'm sure you could get some expert opinions on confirming if it is a "Trout" built frame or not.

Even if not, I still think a very cool bike and one that should be kept intact, and put more intact with a full period build.

But to your question, in my opinion a clean high-end frame with a nice group of parts like that right now should be worth around $1000 +/- a few hundred bucks depending on the situation of the sale.

cachagua
03-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Ideally I buy ride it on the same roads that he rode it in the 70s. That would make us both happy.

Ideally is right. That's the perfectest possible thing to happen. Given the history you have with the original owner, who could better honor the bike?

We hope that when we pass something on, the person who receives it will have the same appreciation for it that we have ourselves. Can't make that a condition, of course, but we hope it. I think maybe that's what this fellow hopes you'll do?

A transaction like that is hard to assign a cash value to. You may want to buy the bike for some nominal sum, and also give some attention to what your friend values and appreciates, and offer him something that would mean to him what he hopes the bike will mean to you...

(See also The Gift: Imagination and the Erotic Life of Property, Lewis Hyde, 1983 for a great discussion of how connections between people are mediated by material objects.)

bfd
03-09-2017, 11:40 AM
I have a friend who no longer can ride and wants to sell the bike he bought in 1971 (according to his memory.)

We were co-workers for some years and shared an office and I knew of the bike in question. He had not ridden the bike much in many years. He is now 72. He did ride this bike when he was a young man and would like me to buy it. It is a little small but I could make if fit for the purpose (eroica.)

The bike in question was what he always said was an Albert Eisentraut. However, looking at it today it is actually a Velo Sport which is the shop he was at during this time. First, I don’t know a lot of this history so I cannot be sure that AE was the builder who built this bike. It also appears that this is a lower end columbus tube acciaio.

The bike has most of the original parts and some spares. The original tubulars with record hubs are there too. He seems to have lost the DT shifters but otherwise it is pretty complete.

I snapped a quick picture with wheels he bought so he could ride it which he said happened a couple of times around the block.

He also has a schwag box of freewheels etc.

If this bike/situation does not work for me than I can facilitate for someone on the forum.

Thoughts?

Would it be possible to post some pictures of the lugs and the B shell? That may help identify things. Also any serial number?

Finally, what size is it? I may be interested if you're not! ;)

Good Luck!

stephenmarklay
03-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Thank you again Gentleman. I appreciate it very much. I was also able to get some insights on the Classic Rendezvous lightweight vintage bicycles group.

I will follow up with this after I talk to the seller.

stephenmarklay
03-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Boy I am really leaning toward getting this bike. I should not but somehow I know I will regret it if I do not. It is a marvelous example and I have enjoyed the stories from the owner about riding it. I really think it saw the most use in the 70’s and much less so after that.

I posted some fitment questions in the fitting section so please take a peak at that if you can. I would love the feedback. It is the only thing that is hanging me up at this point.