PDA

View Full Version : name this location! as seen on insta...

AngryScientist
03-08-2017, 07:20 PM
OK, so as an Engineer myself, i was excited to see this pic pop up on my instagram feed. never heard of it.

who knows where this is WITHOUT resorting to Google?

Who's been there??

I need to go!

http://spokeandwords.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DSC03028.jpg

Louis
03-08-2017, 07:25 PM
I believe it's in Colorado. I may have been there, but need to check the map to be sure.

I checked - the one I was thinking of is a similar (but different) one closer to Gunnison and the Alpine Tunnel. I don't think I've been to Engineer Pass, even though I am one...

Maybe I've heard of it because it appears to be on the TAT

http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/trans-america-trail-tat-high-elevation/

https://billyedit.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/colorado-the-engineer-pass-tat-31/

gdw
03-08-2017, 07:37 PM
It's in Colorado in the Uncompahgre Wilderness near Lake City.

dustyrider
03-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Yup. Just down the road from me. I've poked around there in a jeep more than once. Usually end up riding on the other side. One of these days...

AngryScientist
03-08-2017, 07:40 PM
so cool.

i purposely didnt google it and knew some here would come up with it quickly.

i want to go there. just for the picture.

edit: NOT just for the picture. the landscape looks fantastic!

dustyrider
03-08-2017, 07:43 PM
so cool.

i purposely didnt google it and knew some here would come up with it quickly.

i want to go there. just for the picture.

edit: NOT just for the picture. the landscape looks fantastic!

Ouray, Colorado is where you want to be!

AngryScientist
03-08-2017, 07:44 PM
is a ride in this neck of the woods doable on a cross bike, or mtb required?

Louis
03-08-2017, 07:46 PM
The thing is, you really have to be a special sort of insane to ride those "roads" on an MTB. I've never done it, but I bet it's hard as heck, combining the altitude, the climbing and the poor road surface. It would be a huge achievement doing big miles there, but crazy.

kmla320
03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Good lung power too

gdw
03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
There were quite a few productive mines in that region during the 1800s so there is a pretty extensive road and trail network in the mountains. Your could ride some on a cross bike but a mountain bike is a much better choice if you really plan to explore.

nmrt
03-08-2017, 08:23 PM
as others have said, it is in the uncompaghre national forest/wilderness in the san juan range in southwestern colorado. there are quite a few passes such as these there, quite close by too. all as spectacular.

i have been there a few times during different seasons. but i have never biked. mostly jeeping then took off for day hikes.

i have not seen the world but i want to say that the san juan range is one of the most beautiful places in the world!

mgm777
03-08-2017, 08:43 PM
as others have said, it is in the uncompaghre national forest/wilderness in the san juan range in southwestern colorado. there are quite a few passes such as these there, quite close by too. all as spectacular.

i have been there a few times during different seasons. but i have never biked. mostly jeeping then took off for day hikes.

i have not seen the world but i want to say that the san juan range is one of the most beautiful places in the world!

^This. I was born & raised in the San Luis Valley, with the San Juans on the Western edge of the Valley and the Sangre de Cristo range to the East. I really enjoy visiting the San Juan mountains in Southern Colorado mostly because the region is still very rural and relatively devoid of large crowds, unlike the I-70 corridor.

nmrt
03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
^This :-)
One day in the uncompaghre wilderness I took off for a 21 mile hike/run. was in the middle of nowhere from 9 am to 4 pm. did not see a single soul...
...need to post a pic....

nmrt
03-08-2017, 09:38 PM
here is a pic from july 2016. to get to the trailhead from lake city, co was an hour long ordeal in a road that coudl not have handled a sedan. needed a 4X4 with high clearance -- normal for roads in the san juans.

the pointy-ish peak in the center is the 14er wetterhorn. the flat-ish peak on the left side is precipice. this hike was the most beautiful that i have ever done.

Louis
03-08-2017, 09:42 PM
I agree that Colorado's a cool state, but one thing that bothered me, even when out in the middle of nowhere, when you haven't seen another car or anybody else for hours, was how often you'd come across pretty bad views of old mine tailings and mining-related environmental damage.

https://zschierlphotography.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dsc_5767.jpg?w=947&h=426