PDA

View Full Version : SOLD: 57cm Serotta Colorado CR

dustyrider
03-08-2017, 07:06 PM
57cm Colorado CR for $500.
Shows typical signs of paint wear but no real rust to speak of. There is some flaking around top of seat tube and lug on head tube. A couple of the little chips on the drive side chain stay have developed some oxidation and of course the under the BB cable routing has the typical rust lines, but all things considered it’s a very clean bike. I can send more photos upon request.

I bought the bike from Pro’s Closet over the winter to replace a crashed 58cm Colorado CR. I built it up and put about 40 miles on it. I thought I could squeeze into the 57cm top tube but it’s a no-go.

If I was keeping it, I’d want to strip it and repaint, or powder, in a more garish fade because 1990’s! In case you don’t know, the Colorado CRL is sort of the pre-CSi bike. Nearest I can tell the CR was the working man’s CRL in it’s day with many of the same refinements just at a lower price point.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
There is some slag floating around in the top tube. I thought about getting it out, but I didn’t hear it while riding only while handling the frame prior to building. I also feel the steerer of the fork was cut pretty low. I was able to confidently run a 7400 headset, but something like a King maybe too tall. There is also something up with the decals. There is no tube-set sticker on the seat tube and no CR after Colorado on the top tube. Guessing the bike saw a repaint at some point. Serotta didn’t make it easy to get decals unless they painted the bike, and even then it sounds like they didn’t keep around old stock. Lastly, the dropout adjusters have been banged around a bit. They functioned just fine for me.

Here's the marketing from Serotta about the Colorado CR from the 1994 catalogue:

The Serotta Colorado CR is the professional road bike that thrives with the toughest competition. It’s Colorado lugged and brazed steel frame delivers exceptional strength and lightness with instant response and lightning acceleration. Result: You get one hundred percent forward motion with every hammer of the pedal. The steel Colorado tubeset centers the tapered oversized ends of the seat and down tubes on the drive train to transform every ounce of effort into time trimming progress. And Serotta’s exclusive ovalized and tapered top tube helps hold a straight track when your up and sprinting. When you combine this performance with the CR’s exceptional comfort and handcrafted quality, you get today’s best value in professional road bikes. It’s the perfect balance of race-winning performance and long-distance comfort. Ride one. You’ll see.

Measurements according to the 1994 Serotta Catalogue in Centimeters:

Seat Tube 57
Top Tube 57
Head Angle 73.5
Seat Angle 73
Chain stay 415
Rake 43
Drop 7
Headtube 15.6
Stand over Ht. 82.8
BB height 27

Serial Numbers don’t lie and the fork and the frame both have CR57L 291 stamped into them!

Looking to get $500 paypal’d and shipped to the lower 48. Anyone out of country please get in touch for a shipping price.

I’m open to trades. Bikes must be 58-59cm for road or 19.5in/large/xlarge for off road. As far as parts go, shimano 6800/9100 xt/xtr. Or who knows? You won’t unless you ask!

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah288/Larry_Flynn/IMG_0098_zpscjbhmag8.jpeg
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah288/Larry_Flynn/IMG_0099_zps0rszocjs.jpeg
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah288/Larry_Flynn/IMG_0101_zpsi0bvaqfl.jpeg
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah288/Larry_Flynn/IMG_0103_zpsukuvdvoe.jpeg
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah288/Larry_Flynn/IMG_0106_zpsia8obiq5.jpeg

ANAO
03-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Sold in 3...2...1...

dustyrider
03-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Friday, post tasty beverage bump.
:beer:

thirdgenbird
03-10-2017, 07:05 PM
How low does the headset stack have to be?

dustyrider
03-10-2017, 08:17 PM
How low does the headset stack have to be?

As stated, a dura ace 7400, with no spacers, was short enough.

I don't know what a 7400 translates into stack. But I know headsets like king are taller, and I didn't want anyone to buy into the American element without being aware that there may not be enough threaded steel there. Of course there could be plenty, and I'm just over thinking things again.

The steerer measures out at: 185mm

Edit: I'd be happy to include the 7400 headset if buyer wants to split shipping with me. Might put minds to rest...

thirdgenbird
03-10-2017, 09:09 PM
I just thought more detail would help. Providing the known working headset is a big plus. Shimano had a pretty low headset stack in that era.

For reference, you can measure from the crown seat to the top of the fork and then subtract the headtube length. This will give you the min headset stack. You can also just measure how much steerer sticks above the head tube when you have the frame resting on the fork as in your pictures.

Anyway, killer frame and including the headset removes concern about finding one to work.

stephenmarklay
03-10-2017, 09:10 PM
I had a CR. Felt all the bike as my CSI.

chismog
03-10-2017, 10:04 PM
A Tange Passage is a great replacement headset for short stack 1 inch Shimanos. As other posters have noted, Shimano had super low stack headsets back in the day. A King gripnut might work but a Passage is way more straightforward.

VoyTirando
03-11-2017, 05:18 PM
If I didn't already have a 57 square steel frame I'd be on this, case closed. Solid deal on a really nice frameset.

dustyrider
03-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the kind words!

Spring is in the air...

dustyrider
03-26-2017, 06:57 PM
April is just around the corner!

dustyrider
04-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Anyone interested at $450...trades?

dustyrider
04-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Would love to see someone from the paceline on this bike. Offers? It's just sitting in a box in my garage so really anything would be a better fate at this point!

Neil
04-27-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm in Colorado right now, interested in this- where about are you in the state?

dustyrider
04-27-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm in Colorado right now, interested in this- where about are you in the state?

Grand Junction.

Neil
04-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Hah, that's a four hour drive from my hotel. Still, I guess I'm at a loose end on Saturday. Are you around?

dustyrider
04-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Hah, that's a four hour drive from my hotel. Still, I guess I'm at a loose end on Saturday. Are you around?

I'll be at a track meet for the better part of the day, something like 6am until 7pm or later...I'm the photo finish guy and with the Denver weather turning south our local meet is growing. At this point there is no telling how long the day will be.

We're hosting USA cycling national championships this weekend! You could come out and see the road race on Saturday. I'll be a course marshal on Sunday for the crit. Downtown. They're looking for more volunteers for all the days especially Sunday. Link (http://www.coloradomesa.edu/wp/sportscommission/event/2017-usa-cycling-collegiate-para-road-national-championships/)

Neil
04-27-2017, 08:53 PM
I fly back to London on Sunday, would have to be Saturday. I'd be planning on leaving the frame here to make (eventually) a bike that I can ride when I am here rather than hiring one or bringing one on the plane with me.

If Saturday doesn't work I could send you the funds and we could sort some thing out, I may be here again in July.

dustyrider
04-27-2017, 09:04 PM
I fly back to London on Sunday, would have to be Saturday. I'd be planning on leaving the frame here to make (eventually) a bike that I can ride when I am here rather than hiring one or bringing one on the plane with me.

If Saturday doesn't work I could send you the funds and we could sort some thing out, I may be here again in July.

I wouldn't want to drive over the Rockies once, never mind twice, with a flight looming. Though certainly doable i70 can break hopes in the blink of an eye. I can easily bring the frame to the track and meet up for a minute or two if you find yourself so inclined. I'd also be happy to eat the shipping cost to get this bike to an address on the front range(eastern Colorado). Let me know!

Neil
04-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Forgive my ignorance- where is the track?

dustyrider
04-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Forgive my ignorance- where is the track?

12th st. and north avenue. Aka stoker stadium.

Neil
04-27-2017, 10:26 PM
I think the post option is going to be best, I'll confer with a colleague who lives here and will PM you tomorrow if ok?

dustyrider
04-27-2017, 10:47 PM
I think the post option is going to be best, I'll confer with a colleague who lives here and will PM you tomorrow if ok?

Sounds good! Obviously there's no rush on my end.

dustyrider
07-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Any interest now that it's July? Trades?