PDA

View Full Version : Low carb energy bars

roadie7
03-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Asa diabetic I'm looking foe low carb And low sugar energy bars. Can anyone recommend somee.

Thanks

Bentley
03-08-2017, 07:44 PM
They are basically "meat" bars. Not sure you will find a low carb energy bar, in general the energy comes from some form of carbs.

Just my thought, could be completely wrong

Ray

jumphigher
03-08-2017, 07:48 PM
I use Think Thin bars quite a bit. They're pretty low in carbs as they're very low in sugar. Not many choices out there though, as the other poster noted, carbs are what most bars use to supply you with energy. :)

yarg
03-08-2017, 08:59 PM
As I diabetic myself I am assuming you are looking for a bar to eat during the day w/o worrying of spiking sugar levels and not to bring on a ride. Thats the only way I can make sense of your request since as a diabetic you want to have a high sugar content something to have on a ride to prevent/stave off a sugar low. So if my assumption is right I like zone perfect bars, chocolate mint my personal fave, 14g soy protien, 24g carb (14g from sugar). For me pretty smooth predictable sugar response. I usually have one in the morning with my coffee. Hope that is what you were looking for.

djg21
03-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Asa diabetic I'm looking foe low carb And low sugar energy bars. Can anyone recommend somee.

Thanks

When I was on a low carb/low glycemic index diet, I'd cook sweet potatoes and wrap pieces in foil to take along in my jersey pockets on rides. The potatos would be soft, almost like GU.

DfCas
03-09-2017, 10:30 AM
I'm confused by your question. If the bars don't have mostly carbs they are by definition not energy bars. Fat and protein won't help you during a ride and just slow down the absorption of carbs. If you want fewer carbs then only eat a part of a bar.

I am a type 1 diabetic.

93legendti
03-09-2017, 01:10 PM
https://risebar.com/shop/protein-bars/almond-honey-protein-bars-2/

DfCas
03-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Is a protein bar an energy bar for exercise? I think not. One of the purposes of a carb bar is to spare glycogen and ward off a bonk. A protein bar is just going to sit in the stomach and use energy since it is so slow to digest.

tuscanyswe
03-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Have you considered just having some dates around, if i were diabetic i would have some with me for rides or otherwise.

You can also make some really nice raw chocolate balls with dates and bit of espresso with some crunched nuts, easy healthy and unbelievably good!

PQJ
03-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Doesn't a low CARB energy bar sort of defeat the purpose?