PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager quill stem wanted and a question or two

taz-t
03-08-2017, 05:52 PM
This is a long shot...

Does anyone have a Bontrager ROAD quill stem in 140mm?

Would there be a problem with using a Bontrager mtb stem with a 26.0 road bar?
Since these are cro-mo, I don't think expanding the hb clamp will weaken it but will the clamping bolt alignment be misaligned too much to work?

Finally - if either of these solutions doesn't work, can anyone recommend a good 1" steerer carbon fork (45mm rake)?

thanks,
Taz

ultraman6970
03-08-2017, 08:13 PM
OK we are talking about quill.... if the mtb stem have a 26 mm handlebar clamp i do not see the problem in using that.... aluminum handlebar right?

The second part I do not understand too well what do you mean. whats the HB clamp?? what do you mean by HB?

DO you have a picture of the stem and the handlebar you want to use? I'm lost in the misalignment part.

hokoman
03-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Taz -
Do you have my old blue road lite? Anyhow, there is a private bontrager group on facebook. Those guys might have something stashed away.

taz-t
03-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Taz -
Do you have my old blue road lite? Anyhow, there is a private bontrager group on facebook. Those guys might have something stashed away.

thanks hoko... yes, still have your blue road lite.

Doesn't get much riding time anymore but I'm trying to update the fit to change that. Still has the Syncros stem currently. I think it's virtually the same as I when I received it.

- taz

taz-t
03-08-2017, 11:19 PM
OK we are talking about quill.... if the mtb stem have a 26 mm handlebar clamp i do not see the problem in using that.... aluminum handlebar right?

The second part I do not understand too well what do you mean. whats the HB clamp?? what do you mean by HB?

DO you have a picture of the stem and the handlebar you want to use? I'm lost in the misalignment part.

HB means handlebar. On the old Bontrager stems, the stem clamps to the handlebar with a single opening in the front (one piece). The clamp bolt screws into threads in the bottom part of the clamp. What I'd like to know is if spreading the clamp by the extra .02mm would cause the bolt to misalign with the threads on the bottom half of the claim. make sense? It's a small change so I know I can get the bars in - but I don't know if I'd be able to tighten the clamp.

- taz

oliver1850
03-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Is the opening for the handlebar on the MTB stem beveled so you can pass the bends of a road bar through it? I have a Tioga T-Bone here that is beveled enough to get a road bar through, once spread by reversing the clamp bolt. The clamping area on it is 44 mm wide at the extension and tapers down to 33 mm at the narrowest part. Much wider than 33 mm and the bends likely won't pass through the opening.

25.4 road bars exist and would be no problem if the bends will pass through the opening. Nominal 26.0 road bars vary in diameter in the clamping area. I recently mounted one that measures 25.7 mm in a modern (4 bolt cap) 25.4 RaceFace stem. Although a bit snug it tightened down nicely and did not deform the clamp area of the bar. As far as the bolt aligning with the threads, you should be able to file the bolt hole with a chain saw file enough to get the right angle.

Let me know if you want me to look for a 25.4 bar. I know I have several on hand.

bicycletricycle
03-09-2017, 12:19 AM
it depends on the stem and mars to some extent. I just wedged a 26mm nitto into a 25.4 steel salsa stem recently, kinda worked but I decided against it in the end. The clamp kinda reformed around the bigger bar but the bolt sat funny and it didn't feel right when i tightened it up. Bars and stems are not all the same size. Some bars are small, some stems big. You can try it to see how it goes.

Why not get a salsa?

ultraman6970
03-09-2017, 05:20 AM
IMO 0.2 mm is not like a lot but as 3cycle man said... if you go 1inch to 26 then I would be worry about it because the clamps are really stiff and you dont want that to snap at some point; but what you can do is to ream the clamp in those situations. As for how the bolt sits, is hard to tell w/o trying.

IMO you gonna have to try and see.