PDA

View Full Version : A masterpiece in progress...

catulle
08-09-2006, 07:02 PM
This is almost as good as sex (at my age), atmo...

Archibald
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
This is almost as good as sex (at my age), atmo...
Very nice, but I'd rather have the Lotus 7 replica.

Big Dan
08-09-2006, 07:20 PM

You don't like your Trek?

:confused:

Too Tall
08-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Mmmm. Nice.
Lotus. Where?

Archibald
08-09-2006, 07:26 PM
You don't like your Trek?

:confused:
Trek? Besides not owning a Trek, what does liking a Lotus 7 (an automobile) have to do with it?

Back to the topic, Catulle, what are those things at the ends of the seatstays? Are they some sort of device to aid in shaping the stays or is something else going on?

Big Dan
08-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Come on Archi, show us your yellow Lance Armstrong special edition Trek....
That's what all you guys ride , no?

:beer:

dave thompson
08-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Love Dave's table jig.

shinomaster
08-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Nice...all I have to play with are a few legos.

musgravecycles
08-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Back to the topic, Catulle, what are those things at the ends of the seatstays? Are they some sort of device to aid in shaping the stays or is something else going on?

Those my friend are a class act. They are tubes that just happen to have the correct internal radius to make custom fluted caps for the stays. Wayyyy cooler (and lighter) than using plugs. I just did this on a frame last week, they turned out wickkkkked....

Louis
08-09-2006, 07:48 PM

I thought it was a Birkin. Is a Birkin a Lotus 7 replica?

atmo
08-09-2006, 07:52 PM
awesome-issimo atmo

Archibald
08-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Those my friend are a class act. They are tubes that just happen to have the correct internal radius to make custom fluted caps for the stays. Wayyyy cooler (and lighter) than using plugs. I just did this on a frame last week, they turned out wickkkkked....
Are the extensions going to be left to act like lugs for the stays and then he'll cut the remainder of the large diameter tube away leaving just the cap? Do I understand that correctly?

Archibald
08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I thought it was a Birkin. Is a Birkin a Lotus 7 replica?I don't know anything about the Lotus 7 replicas. I was guessing at the Lotus from the pic and assumed it was a replica since I didn't remember the originals having disc brakes.

atmo
08-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Are the extensions going to be left to act like lugs for the stays and then he'll cut the remainder of the large diameter tube away leaving just the cap? Do I understand that correctly?

yes -
you grasp the concept atmo.

stevep
08-09-2006, 07:57 PM
what are the photos? a make your own frame kit?
send it to sachs...he will throw a frame together for you in 2 weeks or less
atmo, thats what frythusnus told me

atmo
08-09-2006, 08:01 PM
what are the photos? a make your own frame kit?
send it to sachs...he will throw a frame together for you in 2 weeks or less
atmo, thats what frythusnus told me

go mount hamilton (http://www.alamedacreek.org/About_Alameda_Creek/Mt.%20Hamilton%20snow.jpg) atmo.

Ginger
08-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the club. Your bike will fly with all that high altitude air captured in the tubes. :cool:

FierteTi52
08-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Nice to see another DK frame in progress. It's been a long time since one of DK's creations was posted. Please fill us in on the details of the design! You will love the bike.
Enjoy,
Jeff

SPOKE
08-09-2006, 08:51 PM
my Kirk is waiting for that wounderful Joe Bell paint job. maybe in a month or so i'll have it in my hands ready to build. i didn't do the lugs this time. opted for a fillet brazed masterpiece. the paint wil be a suprise too! :D

catulle
08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Nice to see another DK frame in progress. It's been a long time since one of DK's creations was posted. Pease fill us in on the details of the design! You will love the bike.
Enjoy,
Jeff

The sexy lugs are e-RICHIE's latest creation. The seat stays melt over the seat lug as per the picture below. The seat stays are straight (not Terraplane) because I'm old and set in my ways; however, I'd love to have a Terraplane sometime in the future. The geometry is intended for comfort and long distance, not fstrthnu 50kph climbs on the big wheel. The seat tube is 53.5cm, and the top tube 54.5cm, iirc. The fork crown is the Cinelli that droops down like Twiggy's shoulders. The faces of the drop-outs are SS, and the rear brake cable goes inside the top tube. King (silver) head bearings set.

Regarding cosmetics, there will be two cream panels and cream head tube. Color: Probably Bianchi "celeste" and blue decals. Components: Campagnolo Record, Oval bars and stem, and Fizik Aliante saddle. Wheels: Tune hubs + Reflex tubie rims + Ergott magic wand. I can't wait to ride this baby.

Thank you for your interest and for reading.

Johny
08-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the club!

2007 Record?

BoulderGeek
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Wood.

Didn't need any little blue pill.

I've driven some fun things in my time, BTW, and still do. But a Lotus Super 7 replicar, driven on Stratford's back roads by a way skilled track driver, was one of the most exhilarating things ever.

I gave to stop hanging out here. You guys are going to give me tastes for the finest things in life. I'll be driving pimpin' Bentleys with a diamond and platinum "grille" on my teeth in no time. :confused:

catulle
08-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the club!

2007 Record?

Thanks. Very likely.

Too Tall
08-10-2006, 06:47 AM
You have clearance to own that thing? ;)

Sweet.

Wonderful technique to create the seat cluster detail. Fluid and less is more.

catulle
08-10-2006, 07:04 AM
You have clearance to own that thing? ;)

Sweet.

Wonderful technique to create the seat cluster detail. Fluid and less is more.

5,001 posts big guy...!! And, no, I don't have clearance but I'm used to living on the edge :cool: (Well, actually, I think getting beat upside the head with the wife's broom is a pretty fair quid pro quo, atmo)