PDA

View Full Version : When is a Masi a Masi?

shinomaster
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I was just at my local lbs and he had two Masi frames, one being the new replica which was discussed here, and the other being a N.O.S. 1984 Russian Olympic frame. He just pulled it out of the box and it was in immaculate condition and possibly the most awsome looking frame I have ever seen. How much do you think it is really worth? It has cool CCCP decals and everything.

catulle
08-09-2006, 03:35 PM
I was just at my local lbs and he had two Masi frames, one being the new replica which was discussed here, and the other being a N.O.S. 1984 Russian Olympic frame. He just pulled it out of the box and it was in immaculate condition and possibly the most awsome looking frame I have ever seen. How much do you think it is really worth? It has cool CCCP decals and everything.

Would you please let us know the size of the frame, and if it is road frame or a track frame? Thank you.

rsl
08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Wow! I'd LOVE to see some pix of that!

fiamme red
08-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Here's a "Russian" 3V:

http://www.bates-lee.com/masi/html/gallery/3V/3v_intro.html

http://www.bates-lee.com/masi/html/gallery/3V/CCCP68.jpg

shinomaster
08-09-2006, 03:39 PM
http://www.bates-lee.com/masi/html/gallery/3V/3v_intro.html

It looks like this...I wonder if the guy was confused...he said it was #48. It may be a replica from the 90's...

It's a road frame, not sure of the size.

Big Dan
08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
I dig it.
If it only had some Carbon Fibre fork and stays to make the ride more comfortable I would jump on it...
:rolleyes:

stevep
08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
if it was from 84 the rear triangle would be 126mm.
check tht out.
s
i forget when we went to 130 but i am guessing late 80s.
who remembers what year?

Grant McLean
08-09-2006, 03:56 PM
80's masi's are well past the cool stage, IMHO, atmo, YMMV.

No offence, but the desireable ones are late 60's - early 70's.
The brand "masi" went through so many changes after that
period, they became far removed from what made them
cool originally, and became a set of stickers.

Lore and mystique aside, just look at the workmanship, it
tells the whole story. Anything you want to know is right
there, looking back at you.

g

atmo
08-09-2006, 04:28 PM
here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17618) we go again atmo.

J.Greene
08-09-2006, 04:50 PM

g

The really cool ones don't have brake holes atmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JG

Grant McLean
08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
The really cool ones don't have brake holes atmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JG

that goes without saying! :)

g

shinomaster
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
What was really cool about this bike were the Soviet decals. Plus it was beautiful.

sg8357
08-10-2006, 09:24 AM
80's masi's are well past the cool stage, IMHO, atmo, YMMV.g

Is a Masi of the Body of Mario or From the Body of Mario ?

Scott G.

David Kirk
08-10-2006, 09:46 AM
It's an interesting question....when is something really that something? Or something like that.

I drive a Birkin S3. It's a Lotus Seven clone/replica/reproduction/continuation. It's actually licensed from Lotus and considered a continuation of the Lotus Seven production. But is it a Lotus? Nope. Is it really much better than anything Lotus offered in the day? Yep. Is it worth as much as a "real" lotus? Nope.

It seems that the "real" deal is a thing that has the right combination of being built by the right people at the right time in the right place. Anything other than that might very good but it won't be "real".

A few years ago Serotta stopped making the CSI. A sad day really. There were some that suggested that since I'd built so many over the years that I should be hired by Serotta to build CSI's. They'd be built by someone who had done it countless times before, with the proper materials, with the proper techniques............but would it have been a Serotta? I don't think so. Serottas are built in Saratoga Springs by guys living in Saratoga, breathing that air and having lunch with those guys.

That's the real deal.

Dave

Grant McLean
08-10-2006, 11:17 AM
That's the real deal.

Dave

It's much easier to answer the question when you
can just read the name on the down tube ! :)

g

ldave1
04-21-2008, 09:05 PM

Lore and mystique aside, just look at the workmanship, it
tells the whole story. Anything you want to know is right
there, looking back at you.

g

What crap. I have a 1990 3V and it's every bit a Masi. as the late '60's or '70's. In fact, by the "late 60's - early 70's" Faliero himself himself was no longer holding the torch. So your own logic is flawed.

e-RICHIE
04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
What crap. I have a 1990 3V and it's every bit a Masi. as the late '60's or '70's. In fact, by the "late 60's - early 70's" Faliero himself himself was no longer holding the torch. So your own logic is flawed.
he know that atmo.

in the nearly 2 years since he posted
that, geesawa has seen the light.

Richard is a genius. Follow his advice.

e-RICHIE
04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
ps do check that other thread before 1AM huh:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17618&page=1&pp=40

Richard is a genius. Follow his advice.

Big Daddy
04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Masi spelled backwards is Isam

vaxn8r
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I have an '85 3V. Way cool bike and it rides so perfectly. The geo/tubing/gestalt....nailed it. So what if the tubeset is paperthin. Awesome bike and still better than most others I have ridden since.

Kahuna
04-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Dave, I don't think you give yourself enough credit, but I hear what you're saying. ;) :beer:

-K

[..] but would it have been a Serotta? I don't think so. Serottas are built in Saratoga Springs by guys living in Saratoga, breathing that air and having lunch with those guys.

That's the real deal.

Dave

Grant McLean
04-22-2008, 07:34 AM

I didn't say it's not a "masi" - I said that in my view, the "COOL" ones are the
early Masi's. It's got nothing to do with Faliero himself building them, some
of the nicest early frames were contract built. Pela? Confente?

-g

J.Greene
04-22-2008, 07:46 AM

Nice 1st post. You've got style. For a minute I thought you were that Joe Starck guy.

JG

Ken Robb
04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
A week ago Sunday the So Cal classic bike gang had their annual Masi Memorial ride from Solana Beach up to the old Masi factory in Carlsbad. Lots of nice old Masis came out for this ride. Some of the gang like Brian Bayliss used to work there. While holding my usual position as lanterne rouge I missed a light and then got blocked by a bus while a rider tried to figure out how to use the bike rack on the front of the bus. Thge bus was stopped in the right lane and other traffic was whizzing by in the left lane so I was stimied and never saw the group again. It was a lovely day for a ride though. :beer:

rounder
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Itsa Masi!!??

I was clicking around and found this, and thought some you might be interested -

http://www.planetultra.com/maynard/masi.html

fiamme red
04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=classicrendezvous.10505.0375.e ml

dookie
04-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice Masi resource. (http://bhovey.com/Masi/index.html)

And hey, I've got an '86 3V frameset available. 55x56, Italian (not CA), w/SR headset, some chrome defects, minor paint chips, otherwise nice.

Christ
04-23-2008, 05:01 PM
The pope has the last true masi. A Pista built circa 1966