PDA

View Full Version : In search of a small part -- does it exist?

teleguy57
03-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Anyone aware of a ferrule to connect a 4mm cable housing to a 5mm cable housing? Jagwire's housing connectors are 5 to 6, 4.5 to 4.5 and 4 to 4, but I'm looking to connect different sized cables for a project on which I"m experimenting.

Thanks!

cmbicycles
03-07-2017, 07:51 AM
What if you put a regular housing ferrule on the 4mm housing and then use the 5-6 jagwire connector you mentioned?

Tony T
03-07-2017, 08:19 AM
I was going to suggest loosescrews, but unfortunately they now only sell gun parts (looks like you can "build your own handgun")

Black Dog
03-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Wheels Manufacturing makes step down ferrules.

Timdog
03-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Velo Orange I think has what you want-$1.00

-dustin
03-07-2017, 09:44 AM
I was going to suggest loosescrews, but unfortunately they now only sell gun parts (looks like you can "build your own handgun")
you can build a Glock completely out of aftermarket parts.

anywho, Jagwire used to include a 4 - 5mm ferrule in one of their housing kits. i have 4, but they're all wrapped under bartape.

teleguy57
03-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Love the gun stuff :)

Thanks for the replies, however, I've looked at the recommend parts and not yet what I was thinking I might find. To be clearer, I'm looking to butt a 4mm housing up to a 5mm housing, so some connector with 5mm female and 4mm female ends. The step down ferrules are female/male.

So I may experiment with fitting a 4mm housing with an end cap into a 5mm female/female connector to see how that works. Or have a 4mm female/female with the 5-to-4mm step down ferrule.

Other ideas, keep 'em coming.

oliver1850
03-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Perhaps you could buy a 4 mm and a 5mm inline adjuster and combine bits of each to get what you want.

bicycletricycle
03-07-2017, 05:00 PM
I could make you one on my lathe, not sure how thin I cam make the wall (how small I can make the outside diameter) It would most likely me about 6.25mm or 6.5mm in diameter.

monarchguy
03-07-2017, 06:11 PM
bicycletricycle, Completely off-topic: what kind of lathe? I have a Leblond and a monarch, hence the name.
-- Dan

Mikej
03-07-2017, 06:14 PM
What type of twisted $hit are yo into! JC...

bicycletricycle
03-07-2017, 06:58 PM
bicycletricycle, Completely off-topic: what kind of lathe? I have a Leblond and a monarch, hence the name.
-- Dan

southbend

cmbicycles
03-07-2017, 08:07 PM
The 4mm end caps will be bigger than 5mm, unless you chuck it in a drill/lathe and cut it thinner. The 5/6 butt connector you mentioned in your first post would work with a 4mm housing end on it without any finageling. If you have a 5/5 already, I might try putting an alloy 4mm ferrule in the chuck of a drill and spinning it on a file or sandpaper to make it smaller.
I'm curious though... why you don't just run a full housing or use two of the same diameter?

Gummee
03-08-2017, 08:53 AM
you may try the end caps from Yokozuna housing kits. Ditto with the Jagwire non-compression kits

I'm spitballing here...

M

Fatty
03-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Shrink wrap? Doubled up maybe?

teleguy57
03-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Lots of good ideas here. So the project is this. Looking to use ilinks compressionless housing, but don't want to run it under the bar tape or directly into my Campy Ergo levers. I have a set of Jagwire EZ-bend housing coming for the brake cabling which will fit into the 5mm opening on the lever body and has a 5mm female end into which to insert the ilinks connector. I'm looking for a solution for shift cabling which has a 4mm opening on the ergo body. Thinking of running Campy housing under the tape and looking for something that will accept the ilinks 5mm male connector.

FYI, I'm running the regular ilinks for both shift and brake vs buying the mini ilinks for shift cabling.

Keith A
03-08-2017, 04:18 PM
I was going to suggest loosescrews, but unfortunately they now only sell gun parts (looks like you can "build your own handgun")Wow, when did that happen? I had seen that they might be closing shop, but then it looked like they were going to stay open.

Tony T
03-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Just noticed today.

Back in 2015 I received this:

Thank you for your support and patience waiting for Loose Screws to reopen. We are now based in Irvine, CA. The website is live
again, and we are ready to take orders. While there is a similar feel to the Loose Screws Website, improvements have been made.

Again, we're very excited to be back and serving those who love to commute and tour by bicycle. Of course, we also greatly
admire our racing oriented customers. Keep pushing!

-Steven Arlint
Presiding Mr. Loose Screws
Loose Screws Bicycle Small Parts

Wonder if he sold the site.

edit: I see from the "About" that its the same guy — guess its more profitable to sell gun parts.