PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Advice buying Comcast compatible modem?

Tony
03-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Comcast has raised fees again even after insuring me that fees are locked in for a year. I've dropped all comcast services except computer.
Paying $10.00 monthly rental fees for their modem, want to save money and buy my own. Any recommendations on a inexpensive comcast compatible modem?

Cicli
03-06-2017, 08:01 PM
I just went to best buy and bought the one they recomended. It was like 80.00 or so. 8mos and I an even.

geeter
03-06-2017, 08:02 PM
I've had a few Motorola Surfboards. Current docsis 3 is just fine.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MattTuck
03-06-2017, 08:06 PM
I was looking at doing the same thing. I was looking at thewirecutter, their recommendation was just a cable modem. I would need a wireless router also. and when you add that to the cable modem, I was looking at 180 or 200. Which seemed like a longer payback than I'd like.

kramnnim
03-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Isn't the monthly rental fee like $12? Should be able to find a modem for $75, and a very good router for not much more...

MattTuck
03-06-2017, 08:52 PM
The one that the wire cutter recommends is about $90.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/?utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=cable-modem

If you select the 1.4 GB/s and the wifi router option, it brings the price up to 209.

jtakeda
03-06-2017, 08:58 PM
You can get away with ~$100 for both cable and modem.

Dont get a combination one they usually stink.

Check newegg.com for deals on both routers and modems when I go downstair ill look at what I have. They seem to work well for 3 computers, 3 phones and an amazon fire stick.

eddief
03-06-2017, 09:34 PM
for my needs there was only one modem sold by Best Buy that would work. Make sure what you get is compatible.

unterhausen
03-06-2017, 10:54 PM
we have the Arris that used to be the one that everyone recommends. I'm pretty sure to use the speed of the faster ones you have to pay more money for internet. And I'm not sure why you would get the fastest router either, none of our equipment supports it.

No way in the world I would let comcast control my router. I'm thinking about going with a dedicated computer as a router, specs are a lot better for that. I was thinking about getting something like ubiquiti access points. Ok, now I've diverged from the previous cheapskate tenor of this thread, sorry.