PDA

View Full Version : Help with wide rims choices.

Tony
03-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Looking to have a rear wheel built. Considering these rims, Easton R90SL, Boyd Altamont lite, and Velocity Quill 700c. The Hed+ and the Pacenti Forza is not on my list. Hub is a Tune mag 170, 24 hole, will be using Sapim CX-Ray Spokes. I weigh 160 lbs.

TunaAndBikes
03-06-2017, 11:28 AM
I did the shopping recently with the same hubs and decided to go with the H plus Son, just because it would match the width of the other wheelset I have.
Otherwise I would've gone for the Easton R90SL, they've been getting pretty good reviews too!

Tony
03-06-2017, 11:40 AM
I did the shopping recently with the same hubs and decided to go with the H plus Son, just because it would match the width of the other wheelset I have.
Otherwise I would've gone for the Easton R90SL, they've been getting pretty good reviews too!

I've read some of the reviews and they seem like nice rims. Someone here said they were soft? Anyone have any experience with the Quill 700c?

Hombre
03-06-2017, 12:08 PM
+1 for Boyd Altamonts. Formidable to Belgium+ IMO.

MaraudingWalrus
03-06-2017, 12:15 PM
I've been exceedingly happy with all the wheelsets I've built using Boyd Altamonts and Altamont Lites. I've currently got a set of wheels built up with Altamont Lites. They replaced a set of wheels with HED Belgiums.

Quality of the Boyds, IMO, is on par with the Belgium. Width of the Boyds is kind of splitting the difference between regular Belgiums and the Plus, which is a nice play to be, I think.

They build slightly nicer than H+Son Archetypes, IMO. They don't seem to be as sharp on the inside, so they spoke nipples don't seem to emerge scratched as often as the archetype builds I've done.

Can't, in my mind, justify the price difference to go from the Boyd to the HED, given there's not much objectively all that different between the two.... but the price jump from the Archetype to the Boyd is justifiable - despite how much I love archetypes - given the increase in width that you get.