PDA

View Full Version : Something about an old De Rosa

DCilliams
03-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Is the price crazy? Yes. Still, there's something about an old De Rosa:

http://www.kijiji.it/annunci/ebay/#!bici-da-corsa-de-rosa-vintage-it/v1|192066499500|0

Aaron O
03-06-2017, 09:49 AM
WOW!

I actually don't think the price is that crazy.

CSBArizona
03-06-2017, 10:45 AM
That bike really speaks to me as well. My favorite De Rosa color, long lugs, and those drillum Record parts . . .

I'm glad that the price is sort of high, as it's a nice deterrent--

El Chaba
03-06-2017, 11:16 AM
I don't think the price is high. Any DeRosa built prior to the early 80's is pretty rare as they were only built in very small numbers...especially in comparison to Colnago, Pinarello, Gios, etc...I think it would be more desireable without the drillium, but that was the fashion then and that sort of thing has its fans.

bob heinatz
03-06-2017, 11:26 AM
My dream bike in the 80's was a red De Rosa. Still lust for one.

Aaron O
03-06-2017, 01:04 PM
I don't think the price is high. Any DeRosa built prior to the early 80's is pretty rare as they were only built in very small numbers...especially in comparison to Colnago, Pinarello, Gios, etc...I think it would be more desireable without the drillium, but that was the fashion then and that sort of thing has its fans.

That's about what I'd expect it to sell for, if not a bit higher. It really is a beauty.

zmudshark
03-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Reasonably priced for what it is.

DCilliams
03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
It looked pretty well used for 3k, though pre 80s De Rosas are quite hard to find. So I'll defer to my much more knowledgeable forumites.

velofinds
03-06-2017, 02:44 PM
It's a beautiful example that would be made even more beautiful with the pantographed fork that I love so much (though that might potentially make it period/model-incorrect; I'm not sure):

http://ciclicorsaclassico.com/content-2/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/De_Rosa_Giro_Ditalia-15.jpg

http://ciclicorsaclassico.com/content-2/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/De_Rosa_Giro_Ditalia-7.jpg

93KgBike
03-06-2017, 03:03 PM
That bike really speaks to me as well. My favorite De Rosa color, long lugs, and those drillum Record parts . . .

Lqtm - amazing drilled campy, lovely frame - 105% agree, $$$$$=:no:

taylor_walker
03-06-2017, 09:31 PM
Love the 70s DeRosas, and agree the color is excellent, but man, that example is pretty shagged. Keep looking for a cleaner keeper! :beer:

Taylor
SF CA

Polyglot
03-07-2017, 03:54 AM
I must admit to not being quite as enthusiastic as some here. While a very nice bike that will undoubtedly ride very well, there are some elements that simply don't fully convince me. The bike is an assembly rather than an original bike. The fork crown is not my favorite on this period De Rosa. The same goes for the pantographed components and hubs.

Bling
03-07-2017, 06:41 AM
It's a beautiful example that would be made even more beautiful with the pantographed fork that I love so much (though that might potentially make it period/model-incorrect; I'm not sure):

Wow, that fork is pretty.

moobikes
03-07-2017, 06:45 AM
I agree it's less than it looks. The panto on the cranks, RD and shifters is very poorly done.

buddybikes
03-07-2017, 08:06 AM
I had, and put many miles and memory on a 1981 pantographed powder blue (short lugs however) all campy record with the big clement silk 28c (think) tires. . For some dumb reason sold in 1988 for carbon, the first 4000 Kestrel that rode in hindsight like a board. Just because there was some frame flex, thought that was "bad". That beautiful frame was like a puppy - chick magnet. Wish I had taken advantage of situation more.

Flying Pigeon
03-07-2017, 06:20 PM
My favorite vintage bike is my '73 De Rosa. They are very rare but I can't speak to values.. to me it is priceless.

Having it fit and ride so well means it's a keeper - I want to be buried with it!

DCilliams
03-07-2017, 06:37 PM
My favorite vintage bike is my '73 De Rosa. They are very rare but I can't speak to values.. to me it is priceless.

Having it fit and ride so well means it's a keeper - I want to be buried with it!

That is awesome! Beautiful bike.

velofinds
03-07-2017, 08:16 PM
That beautiful frame was like a puppy - chick magnet.

You're describing a bicycle here? Surely you jest...

zmudshark
03-07-2017, 11:34 PM
There is something about a De Rosa.

I've had a few* bikes, but I can't think of one I liked better than a De Rosa. All I own is either a De Rosa or a Cinelli**.

*2002 is newest, and it is steel. I've never owned a CF bike
**total lie, I have old Schwinn and Raleigh 3 speeds, and other non exotic, but fun bikes to ride

colker
03-08-2017, 06:03 AM

Post of the week.
Btw.. that shop, cicli corsa, is cool. They unload a lot of DeRosas. NOt cheap. Nope. BUt you will never regret buying the stuff they sell.

El Chaba
03-08-2017, 06:28 AM

Yes, hold on to it....Some up close photos would be greatly appreciated, BTW. Yours is from a very classic era of the DeRosa shop.

OtayBW
03-08-2017, 06:34 AM
There is something about a De Rosa.Yes - I was really surprised at the ride quality and handling when I got my Primato (not to mention the classic Italian steel lines). It has since been getting as many miles as any of my other bikes. :banana:

bobswire
03-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Thank God for the deterrents,otherwise...;)

Flying Pigeon
03-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Post of the week.
Btw.. that shop, cicli corsa, is cool. They unload a lot of DeRosas. NOt cheap. Nope. BUt you will never regret buying the stuff they sell.

On the subject of shops, Talbot's in the S. Bay was one of the earliest importers in the 70s. I saw an original bike there that they kept, similar to mine, and they sponsored a team which rode dark green De Rosas AFAIK.

Anyone have more info?