PDA

View Full Version : Possibly buying a used Garmin 520 - Is this a good deal?

Fookie
03-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Someone on my local craigslist is selling a used Garman 520 bundle without the heart strap for $150 firm. It looks like it's in good condition with only some minor scratches. It's also missing a few rubber bands , The USB charge cable , The box, the rubber shims for the ahead mount , and needs a battery replacement for both sensors.

Is this a good deal? Any advice as this will be my first bicycle computer? Thanks in advance!

wasfast
03-05-2017, 08:00 AM
I'd pass. Calling it a bundle is misnomer since it's missing just about everything necessary. It may also be that it was lifted off someone's bike which would explain the missing adapter, strap etc.

You might find a used example in excellent condition on Slowtwitch classifieds.

Buying used electronics can be a bit of a gamble in general. I'd suggest buying new and having the warranty.

Dead Man
03-05-2017, 09:31 AM
As someone who hasn't yet bought this newest iteration because I haven't yet found a deal on a used one, that's the lowest price I've seen yet - but I haven't looked since this last fall. I would definitely expect prices to come down a lot this year, new and used, but also keep in mind used bike prices on everything are gonna start to go back up a bit here as we roll into spring

$150 doesn't strike me as the deal of the century on a used model with any kind ofnwear on it, but I definitely don't think you'd end up with buyers remorse or anything... it's only $150.

For what it's worth, I had to include a sram out front mount, k-edge out front mount, original package equipment, HR unit with luxury strap, and the 500 unit was in great shape, and I still only got $90 shipped for the whole shebang! Almost wasn't even worth it to sell

Fookie
03-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and advice! I went ahead and bit the bullet. They guy had the manuals and a receipt (dated Sept 2015), so at least I know it wasn't stolen. The missing parts weren't a big deal after I installed everything (I didn't need the smaller o-rings for the stem mounts, I had extra USB cables around, and my handlebar is 31.8mm so I didn't need the smaller shim on the out front mount). I installed new batteries in the speed and cadence sensors and it works great! I also was able to pair an older heart strap I had lying around from a Garmin Forerunner and it worked well too!

The only thing I'm missing is the band that straps the cadence sensor to the crank arm. I'll try calling Garmin about it on Monday. I'm excited about tracking my rides without wearing down my phone battery! In the end I think $150 was a very fair price for it and a cheap way to get into cycle computers.

Thanks again for the advice!

kramnnim
03-05-2017, 10:31 AM
That was a pretty good price.

Masaoshiro
03-05-2017, 12:02 PM
that is a steal.

madsciencenow
03-05-2017, 04:17 PM
My dad bought a used one and had problems w firmware to the point the unit was unusable. He sent it back to Garmin for $80 and they fixed it or gave him a new refurbed unit. I'd say go for it at that price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fookie
03-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Awesome! That's good news to hear about their support for 2nd hand purchases. I was able to get them to fix a smashed Forerunner years ago for a minimal fee.

Update: I was also able to use the smaller o-rings to put the cadence sensor on my crank arm!