PDA

View Full Version : San Marco Regale versions

d_douglas
03-05-2017, 12:47 AM
I am considering trying out a SS Regale saddle. I have an old Regal that I love, so I thought the new 'e' version would be it even better - maybe for my nice road bike?

I have noticed that even the new ones have a different profile than the first generation of the Regale - is this the case?

For those who have tried both, what's the difference? I like the look of the earlier ones better, but curious what the differences are?

03-05-2017, 12:24 PM
That saddle has morphed through several different designs and more than Turbomatics or Flites, gets redesigned pretty completely at various stages. Many people can still ride this one through the revisions, but it's purely idiosyncratic to your own needs. The redesign isn't so dramatic (as in some other brands) that I'd say to start somewhere else; it's probably a decent first saddle to try because the basic fit concept is the same. But don't be surprised.

d_douglas
03-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Thanks! So you mean that it won't have much in common with my 15 yr old ti railed Regal ?

That is the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. Just beats my Aliante...

colker
03-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Thanks! So you mean that it won't have much in common with my 15 yr old ti railed Regal ?

I have heard the steel railed Regals have a better shape than ti ones. Never went for the ti because of those rumours. It´s my favourite saddle.

03-05-2017, 05:28 PM

It's different. Possibly not so much that you can't use it. But you can also get old steel railed Regals on eBay and elsewhere. If you like that saddle, why not get exactly the same thing? (Disclaimer: The plastic of the shell on Regals seemed to change over the years even if the shape didn't. The early ones had a fairly soft, yielding plastic while they seemed to get harder in later years. Again, this may or may not work for you. Try it.)

colker
03-05-2017, 06:03 PM
It's different. Possibly not so much that you can't use it. But you can also get old steel railed Regals on eBay and elsewhere. If you like that saddle, why not get exactly the same thing? (Disclaimer: The plastic of the shell on Regals seemed to change over the years even if the shape didn't. The early ones had a fairly soft, yielding plastic while they seemed to get harder in later years. Again, this may or may not work for you. Try it.)

That´s it. They vary according to age. Grab the old NOS ones on ebay.

Climb01742
03-06-2017, 06:22 AM
The early ones had a fairly soft, yielding plastic

This was my experience too. Only guessing, but I think it's what Brooks tried to duplicate in their Cambium saddles, a shape that's yielding.

d_douglas
03-06-2017, 11:18 AM
I could buy another vintage one, but I am interested in the looks of the first generation of the new ones (except for the nutty graphics)

If they are close in fit, they'd be equa to my Aliante.

rousseau
09-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Apologies for the thread resurrect, but the topic of San Marco Regale saddles is too important to stand on ceremony. The newer 21st century model is my absolute favourite saddle, though I've never actually ridden an 80's one, so I can't compare.

I think the graphics are pretty cool.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/rousseau1901/2004_bianchi-ml3_2016-07-07%203_zps2eywitrv.jpg

From this angle you can see the classic (from what I gather) shape with the slight rise in the riveted semi-halo at the back.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/rousseau1901/2004_bianchi-ml3_2016-10-02%204_zpsebge9yog.jpg

At 148 mm wide, I think it probably still qualifies as a "Belgian sofa." These things are always very individual, of course, but I think it's very comfortable.