PDA

View Full Version : Any Tyler news?

bostondrunk
08-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Are Tyler and his vanishing twin due to start racing in a month (or two) or not??
Can he be suspended again while already serving his suspension?

saab2000
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM
No news, but I bet he is pretty glad for the diversion of attention from his case.

Climb01742
08-09-2006, 08:40 AM
on the mt washington hillclimb forum there was an interesting post:

"Can anyone confirm if Hamilton is racing this year? I'm hearing about sponsors that are forbidding their pro riders to race Mt W. because he will be racing."

someone replied:

"Tyler was signed up for Newtons Revenge but didn't go. I don't see him on the confirmed rider list for M.W. but last I "talked to him" he said he was going to try to make it. I don't know him or anything, I just sent him an e-mail and he replied."

tyler's participation would be interesting on a few fronts: would he keep pro's away? and since only about 10-20 people actually "race" the ride, what would the 98% of the other riders feel about potentially "doped" rider(s) competing?

for myself, two answers. practically speaking, it would have zero impact on a rider like me. (i saw tyler twice last year: before he started and way way after he finished.) but from a spirit of the event angle, i'd rather know -- or believe -- that every rider was clean. there's something nicely amateur-ish about the hillclimb, just normal folks trying something abnormal.

stevep
08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
i think he is likely.
note as above..the reality is there are maybe 2-4 people actually racing for the overall best time... the age graded racing is popular . but if you look at the entries really there are only maybe 4 people who can get up there under an hour.
pick lynn bessette for the womans win.
mens will be tyler if he shows.

Grant McLean
08-09-2006, 09:29 AM

maybe he'll sand bag for 2nd place so he doesn't have to pee in a cup :rolleyes:

g

Climb01742
08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
i think he is likely.
note as above..the reality is there are maybe 2-4 people actually racing for the overall best time... the age graded racing is popular . but if you look at the entries really there are only maybe 4 people who can get up there under an hour.
pick lynn bessette for the womans win.

steve, do you think tyler being there would keep other pro's away?

stevep
08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
why would it keep anyone away?
there are rarely pros in the race anyway.
waatch for my kid dan vaillencourt. climbs like hell.
my prediction... dans time: 56:55 if the weather is not negative.
tyler 48:55 weatehr dependent.
take lynn bessette in the womans..time 1:03:44
all predictions plus or minus 5 seconds.
its too hard... pros think alpe d'huez is hard. that is a freeway overpass compared to mt washington.

climb...some strategy...sit on hamiltons wheel and jump him at the top...he cant sprint.

bcm119
08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Do you think the field will necessarily be clean if no pros show up?

72gmc
08-09-2006, 12:36 PM
i'd be rootin' for lynne bessette if i were there.

of the men's pros, who is scheduled or rumored to be riding? personally i'd like to see doug ollerenshaw among them...

Climb01742
08-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Do you think the field will necessarily be clean if no pros show up?

god, i hope so. i think 90% of the people there will be "racing" only themselves, just trying to see what they're capable of. so anyone else's time is pretty meaningless. anyone who doped to get a better time would only be cheating themselves i think. usually, "victory" is a zero sum game, but not on MW, i don't think. there are really 600 individual "races". you can only really "win" your own. i hope everyone on MW has a personal best (me included!).

david
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
there are really 600 individual "races". you can only really "win" your own. i hope everyone on MW has a personal best (me included!).

i like the way you put that, climb. really captures the spirit of the event.

stevep
08-09-2006, 02:23 PM
its a weird event in a lot of ways.
they start in large groups 5 minutes apart ..age graded with "elite" starting in the first group. there is a smooth dirt section in the middle that is maybe 40% of the climb...but it does not require cross tires or anything...
the other groups are very, very varied in style and equipment.
the time i did it i was in the last group, which means that there are 450 riders ahead of you..many for good..but you catch up with a lot too.
i remember seeing this guy ahead of me riding a full suspension free ride kind of bike... i first spotted him because he was bouncing up and down so much... but at 5 mph it took awhile to catch him... i reckon i would rather have shot myself than ride that thing up that mountain.
as climb says ...mostly it is age graded competition and personal record kind of event.
very few pros... i think the prize money is $1,000 to break the record maybe?
not much incentive w/ the record under 50 minutes already.

Kevan
08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
his firewood is split and stacked.

William
08-09-2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/manuscript/names/tyler.gif